Dragonflies and Damselflies

Wow... I didn't find time to look into this thread for a number of weeks - and it has grown by 8 pages or so...
A lot of excellent shots from a great number of contributors!
With more 'static' shots shown, I gained enough courage to enter some from my (small) collection ;). I don't know the name of this quite common dragonfly:
Libelle-0475.jpg
Libelle-0445.jpg
Wiebe.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Wow... I didn't find time to look into this thread for a number of weeks - and it has grown by 8 pages or so...
A lot of excellent shots from a great number of contributors!
With more 'static' shots shown, I gained enough courage to enter some from my (small) collection ;). I don't know the name of this quite common dragonfly:
View attachment 180494
View attachment 180495
Wiebe.

Nice shot of what I think is a male common darter.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Applecider.
Very funny, I really see where you are coming from but you should probably modify your own image or pm the owner and ask first!

Cheers, Graham.

These dragonfly faces look like monkey or great ape faces to me. Nat_Wa if you’d prefer I not desecrate your photo let me know it’s just the perfect dragonfly monkey. I’d call it bonobo playing bongos.

Upvote 0
These dragonfly faces look like monkey or great ape faces to me. Nat_Wa if you’d prefer I not desecrate your photo let me know it’s just the perfect dragonfly monkey. I’d call it bonobo playing bongos.

Hi applecider, - no offence taken for using my photo (now that it stays in the same thread) - but I struggle to follow your association with monkeys...
W.

Upvote 0
Lucky it wasn't a D500!
Don't worry ;)
I'm still trying to figure out how I could get an almost sharp in-flight picture with the 500D and EF70-300 at ISO1600 at one of my very first attempts to shoot dragonflies. And this one was not in raw either.. Later I found out that 800 was about the highest usable ISO on that camera.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GywgV4]IMG_0457_DxO by Erik Astrom, on Flickr[/URL]

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Don't worry ;)
I'm still trying to figure out how I could get an almost sharp in-flight picture with the 500D and EF70-300 at ISO1600 at one of my very first attempts to shoot dragonflies. And this one was not in raw either.. Later I found out that 800 was about the highest usable ISO on that camera.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GywgV4]IMG_0457_DxO by Erik Astrom, on Flickr[/URL]
It shows action! I still have a 300D!

Upvote 0
Don't worry ;)

[...]by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

It may have been a lucky shot - but certainly a good one :cool:!

iirc the EOS500D used the same sensor and very similar AF system as the 50D that I've used many years (and still use occasionally as second camera) - so apart from the ISO (I agree, limit to ISO800 if possible) I'm much more impressed that you've been able to get sharp focus! The AF for moving objects is not what I'd call "easy and spot on"... So, double well done ;)
Wiebe.

Upvote 0
The AF for moving objects is not what I'd call "easy and spot on"...
Actually I thought it was in manual focus but EXIF tells the opposite. Now I'm even more confused, must have been a case of extreme luck! :p
Typical in-flight pictures usually look something like this (shot with 3 times more expensive gear)

F36A4824_DxO_full by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0