A pair of 24-70mm f/2.8L IS lenses coming in 2019? [CR2]

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I don't get it. A pro-grade standard zoom that only mounts on a consumer mirrorless body. Everyone is going to give up their one series and 5 series bodies and buy a couple of R bodies, (cause you can't put these on your old camera as a backup) for these couple of lenses. I know Canon is the 800 lb gorilla but this is pushing it.

Canon have been pretty clear that the R body is not the big thing. The RF mount is. Bodies come and go. A professional R body will come in due time. Those RF lenses released now will last for a decade or two.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Canon have been pretty clear that the R body is not the big thing. The RF mount is. Bodies come and go. A professional R body will come in due time. Those RF lenses released now will last for a decade or two.
Cool, so there will be piles of RF lenses while we wait for the real camera.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I totally agree. But there are some weird people out there with only one camera body, and if that's an EOS R .. :)
If all you own or want to own is an EOS R, then yes, the choice is easy. But for those who have or want to have a body with 1D levels of performance, this lens offering puts them in a bind... By offering the same lens in two mounts without a top level camera with the new mount, you're forcing people who want to use the lens on a top level body to opt to buy the lens in the older, lower performance lens mount. I can't see them doing this. I would expect that a higher performance RF camera comes out so that you can both have the newer lens mount and a top performing body if you want to, not forcing you to choose between the two of those things.

Upvote 0
the question is should you buy the R version 24-70 IS or the EF version now, when it is out. Since the EF goes on all the canon dslrs?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
the question is should you buy the R version 24-70 IS or the EF version now, when it is out. Since the EF goes on all the canon dslrs?
Many who want a 24-70 f/2.8 already have one without IS. In that situation, I would just hold on and wait for the pro R body and upgrade lens then. Of course if you are earning plenty of $$ with this lens, you just buy what you need now.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
C'mon Canon Rumors readers...don't some of those 1.2 images over at dpreview...don't they make you drool? Don't you want whatever lens generates those images.

I know I do!
I have to say I haven't been able to get that excited about the RF 50L images over at dpreview and my initial enthusiasm for the lens has faded. The images look fine but I don't feel like they are a step above what you would get with a 50 Art or an Otus 55, albeit the RF 50L offers half a stop more. The RF 50L Am I missing something?

Upvote 0
I don't get it. A pro-grade standard zoom that only mounts on a consumer mirrorless body. Everyone is going to give up their one series and 5 series bodies and buy a couple of R bodies, (cause you can't put these on your old camera as a backup) for these couple of lenses. I know Canon is the 800 lb gorilla but this is pushing it.

I think the RF 50L and the RF 28-70 f/2L are statement lenses that show Canon's intention of pushing the image quality with the new mount. They also are intended to stop defections to Sony. Sony had a 3 generation head start. It makes sense for Canon to design the entry level first and to use the lessons learned in developing the subsequent bodies.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I have to say I haven't been able to get that excited about the RF 50L images over at dpreview and my initial enthusiasm for the lens has faded. The images look fine but I don't feel like they are a step above what you would get with a 50 Art or an Otus 55, albeit the RF 50L offers half a stop more. The RF 50L Am I missing something?
Auto focus over the Zeiss, for one.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Auto focus over the Zeiss, for one.
Yes true. And perhaps weather sealing too? Still, from an IQ point of view I’m just not excited about the RF 50L at his point. It seems very good of course, but I’m not seeing anything which makes me think it’s better than what is already available for EF ... and it’s not like the RF 50L is small, light and cheap.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0