POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

D

Deleted member 378664

I will not buy or preorder the EOS R. At least not necessarily immediate. But that is not the fault of the EOS R and its specs itself. I am pretty satisfied with what I have (EOS M5 and EOS 6DMarkII). If I didn't replace my 5DMarkII with the 6DMarkII last December things would look different. I never bought the next iteration or model of a camera when it came out (350D -> used 40D -> 5DMII (two months before the MIII was announced, kept the 40D) -> 6DMII; EOS M -> EOS M5)
For my kind of photography work the specs of the EOS R are really be more than sufficient. The main critics (Dual SD card slot, no IBIS, no 4k60p, crop 4k) are all not relevant to me. Fore sure this EOS R route will be my route in the future. Currently I'm not willing to pay the price of the EOS R. Canon tells us they see the EOS R in the 5D league. This is not my league since the 5DMarkIII came out. So, I'm hoping for 6D league EOS R. But I will be a happy 6DMarkII User for at least the next two years. So, Im not in a hurry with oncoming EOS R releases.
So for the time being I guess I won't buy any further EF lenses either as I see my future in the RF system + the M system.

regards
Frank

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Who is keeping a tally in this thread?

While I'm not buying it, I'm glad Canon got its first mirrorless FF launched, and that its specs satisfy enough early adopters who will help Canon develop an even better version! I'm not being facetious. I really am grateful to those who go first when new tech is launched. It will be nice to read full reviews and long-term ownership reviews to see how the ergonomics are working out, as well as the EOS R's durability.

Upvote 0

GooberGrape

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2018
I hate car analogies.
But, statement sounds just like this "I just traded my Raptor for a new Mustang."
Sure they are both sporty, but one is made to race in the rain and mud, the other on the street.

That is a bold swap.
From apple to orange.

I'll be keeping my 1DXMII as well as my 5DMIV and adding the R. I see a need and use for all of them including my new RF 50mm lens. Now I have apples, oranges and grapefruits.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I think you are misunderstanding

I'm presuming English isn't your first language, it certainly seems your understanding isn't.
Sorry, I don’t follow the language problem with suggesting shooting when the light is right rather than some more technological solution.

But then most of my ancestors and I have had not quite 300 years of experience with English.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Sorry, I don’t follow the language problem with suggesting shooting when the light is right rather than some more technological solution.

But then most of my ancestors and I have had not quite 300 years of experience with English.
Because the three quotes were completely misunderstood and the meaning so butchered that the contradictory nature of the replies largely agreed with the original premises.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
As mentioned in the other thread, the difference may be because of poor/sub-optimal conversion of RAW files and nothing more. The publisher of video should have disclosed the tool used for RAW conversion, and threats to validity of the experiment. Of course we shouldn't expect more from click-bait pseudo-info-tainers.

He should also discuss well capacity. He claims there is reduced dynamic range merely by examining noise characteristics.

Upvote 0
Because the three quotes were completely misunderstood and the meaning so butchered that the contradictory nature of the replies largely agreed with the original premises.

While your assumption is incorrect, the accuracy of your conclusion is spot on.
Sorry if this offended you, it wasn't meant to.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
While your assumption is incorrect, the accuracy of your conclusion is spot on.
Sorry if this offended you, it wasn't meant to.
Of course it didn't offend me! It's a close to pointless camera rumors forum where we discuss largely irrelevant minutiae with people we don't know, can't trust and will never meet. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
I appreciate your opinion even though it is in conflict with the sales figures presented on this site.

If you are lazy to click, here is a screenshot. Oops. Your pants are on fire!
View attachment 180303
Source: The NPD Group, Inc., U.S. Retail Tracking Service, Detachable Lens Camera, Sensor Size: Full Frame, Based on Dollars Share, Jan.- Jun. 2018.

The US isn't "the world". You know this, right?

Upvote 0
You seem to have grasped my question in a literal sense, but either ignored or did not grasp the philosophical aspect of it.

I went back and re-read the post this originally refereed to.
Responding to it, sure it would be nice to have more DR.

Dynamic Range that would cover the entire range that the human eye can distinguish would be great.

Ansel Adams overcame his limitations by patience and an understanding of light and his equipment limits. His Skill.

It would be great to have a camera with more dynamic range. But the better our cameras today the less skill needed.
Do we reach a point that composition is the only skill required?

Possibly not all, but most current equipment short coming's can be overcome by skill and work.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I went back and re-read the post this originally refereed to.
Responding to it, sure it would be nice to have more DR.

Dynamic Range that would cover the entire range that the human eye can distinguish would be great.

Ansel Adams overcame his limitations by patience and an understanding of light and his equipment limits. His Skill.

It would be great to have a camera with more dynamic range. But the better our cameras today the less skill needed.
Do we reach a point that composition is the only skill required?

Possibly not all, but most current equipment short coming's can be overcome by skill and work.

Ansel Adams was an artist, he had the time, and a relatively comfortable family background that gave him the ability to invest the time he had into creating art. When I am creating artistic images I too take the time and stand on the shoulders of those that learnt and went before us to maximize the limitations of the equipment we use. I don't have to work out the zone system because Adams did it for me and wrote it down, I often bracket a natural scene in 2/3 stop and use tonal blending (dodging and burning in Adams day) though normally end up using a single exposure and find I am not DR limited.

However Adams didn't have the pressures of actual commercial high turnover work, he had the wherewithal to pick and choose his work, I don't, for me to achieve the volume of images I need to to keep afloat I need to use other techniques others might call tricks, or cheating. Multiple exposures, flambient exposures etc etc, I overcome the DR limitations I come up against in the timeframe I have in other ways, my skill.

This has all gotten away from my original point which was all comparable cameras are within a stop of each other with regards DR, Canon, once justifiably seen as being a fair distance behind, are not behind now to any meaningful degree and no camera company is pushing any new boundaries, to get any meaningful improvements in DR we are going to need to go to 16 bit files and even then the difference between now and another couple of stops isn't that meaningful.

My 'issue', such that it is, is a DR range much bigger than 12-14 stops, or. 14-16 stops, it is closer to 20 stops. But even in those extreme situations I can still get the images I need and my customers demand. People clamoring for 'more DR' don't seem to give the impression that they actually look at their images or know where their cameras limitations actually are. They have become parrots constantly repeating what they have heard over the last couple of years without any deep understanding of what the words mean, where their camera truthfully is compared to it's competition and without realizing what modest gains are possible within current technology.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I learnt a new word today! :D
THAT is the true joy of posting here. :D

I've been doing flambient exposures since before they were called that, but now the HDR ship has sailed it is the basic exposure that most real estate interior teachers teach as the base exposure, it is often used by itself but the true power of it is the foundation for several more advanced techniques.

Upvote 0
THAT is the true joy of posting here. :D

I've been doing flambient exposures since before they were called that, but now the HDR ship has sailed it is the basic exposure that most real estate interior teachers teach as the base exposure, it is often used by itself but the true power of it is the foundation for several more advanced techniques.

I've always been in awe of people who can combine flash and ambient light, as I never learned how.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I've always been in awe of people who can combine flash and ambient light, as I never learned how.
Are you interested in portraits style balancing or real estate/scenic balancing? I can certainly point you to some great tutorials, the Canon flash system makes it very easy to do either but it does a lot of 'behind the curtain' calculations and assumptions so can take a little bit to understand for consistent auto results.

Upvote 0