Canon EOS R vs 5D Mark IV - Pros & Cons

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Wouldn't you like a 500 that weighs almost as your current 400 DO ? :)

OK I am exaggerating a little, it will weigh more but you get my point. We only get older with time and the less weight the better.
But I have followed you in the birds thread and you are doing just fine :) Nice pictures, nice place(s), nice attitude.

I'd love all/any of it if my wallet were fatter! However, lenses are better investments than camera's so who knows.

Question. Has anyone worked out a deal with a retailer that seemed worthy, where they've traded a lens like the 300 2.8 II towards a body or another lens?
My 300 has been unused for nearly two years now.

Jack

Upvote 0
A bit early, but let's get it started! How does the Canon EOS R compare to the 5D Mark IV?

I admit, this is for completely self-serving reasons, but I'm sure the feedback can be useful to others stuck between choosing one or the other. ;)

EOS 5D4 Pro/Cons vs R
+CIPA-rated at 900 shots per charge (OVF doesn't burn battery like an EVF)
+Native mounting of EF lenses (no need to buy an adapter)
+Faster burst (with proper AF working)
+Larger buffer
+dual card slots
+built-in GPS
+Proper control wheel and buttons around the thumb grip
+same LP-E6(N) batteries as 5D II, III, 6D, 7D, R series cameras (among others)
-heavier
-static LCD
- cannot mount new RF lenses
-no native C-Log on early models

EOS R Pro/Cons vs 5D4
+lighter
+newer technology (native RF mount, Eye-AF)
+cheaper
+vari-angle flipscreen
+same LP-E6(N) batteries as 5D II, III, IV, 6D, 7D series cameras (among others)
+improved low-light capabiliy (ISO 100-40000 with expansion up to 102400)
+faster SD slot (UHS-II)
+USB 3.1 plus ability to charge battery in-camera (LP-E6N only)
+faster autofocus
+autofocus at f11
-CIPA-rated at 350 shots per charge (EVF) / 370 shots (LCD), Power saving mode 430 and 450 shots respectively, Eco mode 540 and 560 shots

I'll be happy to update this first post as necessary with feedback provided from the comments.

**Thanks to @ahsanford for helping me get the list started.

Canon is DOOMED!

A bit early, but let's get it started! How does the Canon EOS R compare to the 5D Mark IV?

I admit, this is for completely self-serving reasons, but I'm sure the feedback can be useful to others stuck between choosing one or the other. ;)

EOS 5D4 Pro/Cons vs R
+CIPA-rated at 900 shots per charge (OVF doesn't burn battery like an EVF)
+Native mounting of EF lenses (no need to buy an adapter)
+Faster burst (with proper AF working)
+Larger buffer
+dual card slots
+built-in GPS
+Proper control wheel and buttons around the thumb grip
+same LP-E6(N) batteries as 5D II, III, 6D, 7D, R series cameras (among others)
-heavier
-static LCD
- cannot mount new RF lenses
-no native C-Log on early models

EOS R Pro/Cons vs 5D4
+lighter
+newer technology (native RF mount, Eye-AF)
+cheaper
+vari-angle flipscreen
+same LP-E6(N) batteries as 5D II, III, IV, 6D, 7D series cameras (among others)
+improved low-light capabiliy (ISO 100-40000 with expansion up to 102400)
+faster SD slot (UHS-II)
+USB 3.1 plus ability to charge battery in-camera (LP-E6N only)
+faster autofocus
+autofocus at f11
-CIPA-rated at 350 shots per charge (EVF) / 370 shots (LCD), Power saving mode 430 and 450 shots respectively, Eco mode 540 and 560 shots

I'll be happy to update this first post as necessary with feedback provided from the comments.

**Thanks to @ahsanford for helping me get the list started.

Canon is DOOMED!

Their mirrorless only come with ONE CARD SLOT!

None of the human on the planet will buy EOS R!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
5D IV +Available now, known/understood system and full functionality is not pending firmware updates.

Just got my 5D IV last week and so far I'm very excited and pleased. Lots to learn stepping up from a 50D.
You are going to be a very happy guy!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The dodo birds who post on Canon are doomed - no one with any common sense takes any of their comments seriously, they just clog up CR and display their ignorance for all to see. What we need is disclosure so there could be real public shaming!;) At least inject some humour if you must post nonsense.:)

Jack

lol... sadly, sometimes when I see ridiculous posts, I have to look at the name of the person who posted... to tell if it's sarcasm or serious, lol. Like, sometimes, "CANON IS DOOMED!" is an eyeroll, while other times, the sentiment that "no human on the planet" would buy a one-card camera is serious, because, well, the person lives in a chemically induced hallucination or something.

It's like, all the Canon is doomed because the M50 can't do 4k DPAF people.... that was truly surreal to me.

Sometimes, I think there are folks who won't be happy until Canon launches an A7R3 with DPAF and prices it at 50% less than any competitors' product. And I'm not even being totally facetious. There are forum trolls who aren't going to be happy until a camera manufacturer comes out with something clearly superior to everything else in every way and is also much cheaper.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
lol... sadly, sometimes when I see ridiculous posts, I have to look at the name of the person who posted... to tell if it's sarcasm or serious, lol. Like, sometimes, "CANON IS DOOMED!" is an eyeroll, while other times, the sentiment that "no human on the planet" would buy a one-card camera is serious, because, well, the person lives in a chemically induced hallucination or something.

It's like, all the Canon is doomed because the M50 can't do 4k DPAF people.... that was truly surreal to me.

Sometimes, I think there are folks who won't be happy until Canon launches an A7R3 with DPAF and prices it at 50% less than any competitors' product. And I'm not even being totally facetious. There are forum trolls who aren't going to be happy until a camera manufacturer comes out with something clearly superior to everything else in every way and is also much cheaper.
I don't normally pre-order gear, but I'll make an exception in this case. Can you shoot me a link to that camera?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'd love all/any of it if my wallet were fatter! However, lenses are better investments than camera's so who knows.

Question. Has anyone worked out a deal with a retailer that seemed worthy, where they've traded a lens like the 300 2.8 II towards a body or another lens?
My 300 has been unused for nearly two years now.

Jack
I hope my 300 is being well used - I sold it a year ago after I hadn't used it for a year. It's too easy to hang on to these fine lenses. Unlike the past, when they retained their value and even went up because of inflation, Canon periodically discounts them and even lowers their price. The 300/2.8 II and 400/4 DO II have now cheaper list prices than when I bought them and cashbacks are being offered.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I hope my 300 is being well used - I sold it a year ago after I hadn't used it for a year. It's too easy to hang on to these fine lenses. Unlike the past, when they retained their value and even went up because of inflation, Canon periodically discounts them and even lowers their price. The 300/2.8 II and 400/4 DO II have now cheaper list prices than when I bought them and cashbacks are being offered.
Interesting Alan. Last I checked here that's not the case with the 300 in Canada, yet, but maybe it will be.

Jack

Upvote 0

Hi Tayls,

Sorry if my comment make you uncomfortable.

Of course it is not serious, but many people will just think that way.

Since when Sony become market leader and everyone should go after them?

Big question mark to me...

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
"trolling" ...

when i criticize Canon for glaring omission of certain features, for technically and economically inexplicable design decisions (single SD slot, or dual slot with only 1 reasonably slot, the other one slow), and for very obvious marketing nerfing in even the tiniest aspects of a product's functionality (eg " 4 vs 6 segment vs %-precise battery charge meter) ... then it is considered "trolling" by some CanonFanBoys around here and obfuscated and ridiculed. so what!

Biggest difference between Sony and Canon/Nikon: Sony delivers *the very best they possibly can* to their customers, on their own volition and because they know, theyhave to in order to win us over.

Canon and Nikon generally are just sitting on their fat asses and large "legacy" customer base and only ever deliver great stuff, when they are really pushed hard by "public opinion" and forced to do so.

people like myself make sure Canon and Nikon get the necessary push and shove and straightfoward feedback they need to deliver decent stuff. If it were up to "the old Canon Defense League", Canon would simply get away with just about anything, no matter how ludicrously nerfed and mediocre it is.

people like me, our public criticism and our purchasing decisions have forced Canon to bring finally bring a mirrorfree FF camera system to market, no matter how much they would have preferred to sell 10 more iterations of marginally improved mirrorslappers to their old faithful.

so, just thank us "forum trolls", we are doing Canon customers a favor by influencibg public opinion on Canon products. Canon is forced to heed our criticism. if they ignore it for too long, they truly are doomed. just like kodak and nokia phones were. that's the nice thing about "the internets".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
when i criticize Canon for glaring omission of certain features, for technically and economically inexplicable design decisions (single SD slot, or dual slot with only 1 reasonably slot, the other one slow), and for very obvious marketing nerfing in even the tiniest aspects of a product's functionality (eg " 4 vs 6 segment vs %-precise battery charge meter) ... the it is considered "trolling" by some CanonFanBoys around here.

Biggest difference between Sony abd Canon/Nikon: Sony delivers the very best they possibly can to their customers, on their own. Canon and Nikon only deliver really great stuff, when they are really pushed hard by "public opinion" and forced to do so.

people öike myself make sur, Canon and Nikon get the pushing, shoving and negative feedback they need to deliver decent stuff. If it were up to mfmbers of the Canon Defense League, Canon would get away with just about anything, no matter how ludicrously nerfed and mediocre it is.

people like me are forcing Canon to bring mirrorfree FF camera systems to market, no matter how much they would preferr to sell 10 more iterations of marginally improved mirrorslappers.

so, just thank us "forum trolls", we are dping Canon customers a service by pushing public opinion on Canon products. Canon is forced to heed our criticism. thats the nice thing about "the internets".
I am pretty sure they do not care about you or me or any other forum member. And yes battery indication is trolling for me. The slow 2nd slot has being fixed after 5DMkIII and I am sure it has been fixed irrespective of your protests since the day you joined! And I am sure they brought a mirrorless FF also irrespective of your posts...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
And again you deliber
"trolling" ...

when i criticize Canon for glaring omission of certain features, for technically and economically inexplicable design decisions (single SD slot, or dual slot with only 1 reasonably slot, the other one slow), and for very obvious marketing nerfing in even the tiniest aspects of a product's functionality (eg " 4 vs 6 segment vs %-precise battery charge meter) ... then it is considered "trolling" by some CanonFanBoys around here and obfuscated and ridiculed. so what!

Biggest difference between Sony and Canon/Nikon: Sony delivers *the very best they possibly can* to their customers, on their own volition and because they know, theyhave to in order to win us over.

Canon and Nikon generally are just sitting on their fat asses and large "legacy" customer base and only ever deliver great stuff, when they are really pushed hard by "public opinion" and forced to do so.

people like myself make sure Canon and Nikon get the necessary push and shove and straightfoward feedback they need to deliver decent stuff. If it were up to "the old Canon Defense League", Canon would simply get away with just about anything, no matter how ludicrously nerfed and mediocre it is.

people like me, our public criticism and our purchasing decisions have forced Canon to bring finally bring a mirrorfree FF camera system to market, no matter how much they would have preferred to sell 10 more iterations of marginally improved mirrorslappers to their old faithful.

so, just thank us "forum trolls", we are doing Canon customers a favor by influencibg public opinion on Canon products. Canon is forced to heed our criticism. if they ignore it for too long, they truly are doomed. just like kodak and nokia phones were. that's the nice thing about "the internets".

What is considered 'trolling' is not pointing out Canon's shortcomings regards other brands but making unsubstantiated claims about Canon's motives, or your claim to represent millions of photographers or the financial viability of any features vs cost point and host of other claims.
Failing to understand this simply repeating such comments without entering into dialogue (ie responding to counter arguments) would on some fora constitute trolling and result in being banned.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Sony delivers *the very best they possibly can* to their customers.

Yeah, but they clearly don't, do they? Sony's many issues are all well-documented: they just seem to merit a pass on internet forums - they're not the "right kind" of problems to get forumistas frothing.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
people like me, our public criticism and our purchasing decisions have forced Canon to bring finally bring a mirrorfree FF camera system to market,

You vastly (and rather presumptiously) overestimate your importance to, and impact on, Canon (or anyone else), I'd suggest.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
there are a few specs i have to see/experience in real life to really assess them. And then there are many specs where i can already tell "on paper" that they are sh*t and will definitely bother me in real life. And I am rather good in recognizing pure and utter marketing nerfing, even when i do not know the exact internal cost points.

There is no discernible difference in cost between a 4 or 6-segment battery charge indicator. True, whether there is a 4- / 5- or 6-segment battery indicator in a camera is not a major problem. Not to me, and not to most others. The real problem is: why in late 2018 (!) is there not a battery meter with a %-number AND a nice intuitive graphic representation [continuous, without discernible "segments"] in each and every digital camera that is 100% dependent on battery power when virtually every mobile phone has such a charge indicator? Canon's product nerfing down to the last item is something I consider mindbogglingly backwards, counter-productive and totally stupid.

In essence, Canon's camera battery meters do not precisely show remaining battery charge, but they precisely show and demonstrate the kind of "corporate mindset" this company has and its perception of their customers. It is an attitude driven by corporate arrogance, greed and stupidity in equal parts.

So, I will definitely criticize Canon [and any other company if I encounter it] for that type of attitude and product design strategy ... every single time and all the time. Incessantly. :)

And you are right, I don't give a f*ck whether Canon Defense Leaguers like that or not. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
It is well known that the charge indicator, like the reception signal indicator is there on mobile phones only to make people feel warm and cuddly and cared for. It has little to no benefit in real life use other than to tell if you need to recharge sometime today.
And for something that does not really matter to you, you don't half go on about it. :sleep:

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
It is well known that the charge indicator, like the reception signal indicator is there on mobile phones only to make people feel warm and cuddly and cared for. It has little to no benefit in real life use other than to tell if you need to recharge sometime today.

well, not in my experience. I find the %-battery meter on our iPhones to be quite good and highly appreciated functionally. It works down to the last % before the phone really conks out. And I can safely operate it down to 10% without having to worry at all immediate power loss.

If my Canon cameras had a similarly good battery meter I would be already happy. But, no, thanks to "innovative" Canon and its marketing nerfing. 4-segments! 6-segments! Give me a f*cking break, Canon!

Upvote 0