POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

Are you interested in portraits style balancing or real estate/scenic balancing? I can certainly point you to some great tutorials, the Canon flash system makes it very easy to do either but it does a lot of 'behind the curtain' calculations and assumptions so can take a little bit to understand for consistent auto results.

That's a kind offer. But tbh I have little use for it, and my flash is currently out of action. Thanks very much all the same!

Upvote 0
Ansel Adams was an artist, he had the time, and a relatively comfortable family background that gave him the ability to invest the time he had into creating art. When I am creating artistic images I too take the time and stand on the shoulders of those that learnt and went before us to maximize the limitations of the equipment we use. I don't have to work out the zone system because Adams did it for me and wrote it down, I often bracket a natural scene in 2/3 stop and use tonal blending (dodging and burning in Adams day) though normally end up using a single exposure and find I am not DR limited.

However Adams didn't have the pressures of actual commercial high turnover work, he had the wherewithal to pick and choose his work, I don't, for me to achieve the volume of images I need to to keep afloat I need to use other techniques others might call tricks, or cheating. Multiple exposures, flambient exposures etc etc, I overcome the DR limitations I come up against in the timeframe I have in other ways, my skill.

This has all gotten away from my original point which was all comparable cameras are within a stop of each other with regards DR, Canon, once justifiably seen as being a fair distance behind, are not behind now to any meaningful degree and no camera company is pushing any new boundaries, to get any meaningful improvements in DR we are going to need to go to 16 bit files and even then the difference between now and another couple of stops isn't that meaningful.

My 'issue', such that it is, is a DR range much bigger than 12-14 stops, or. 14-16 stops, it is closer to 20 stops. But even in those extreme situations I can still get the images I need and my customers demand. People clamoring for 'more DR' don't seem to give the impression that they actually look at their images or know where their cameras limitations actually are. They have become parrots constantly repeating what they have heard over the last couple of years without any deep understanding of what the words mean, where their camera truthfully is compared to it's competition and without realizing what modest gains are possible within current technology.

I believe the search for more DR or any other technical aspect of cameras is based on the need to overcome the skill gap without actually acquiring the skill, for example; higher FPS with fast shutter help shaky hands without learning the best way to stabilize the camera while shooting handheld, more DR reduce the need for HDR, Perfect Exposure, learning ETTR, or using ML, or checking histogram for clipped areas, also a better AF system and the hardships of MF without a proper focusing screen on your 5D III or focus peaking, its the need to get better in the easiest/shortest way possible, even if by throwing money at the issue.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I believe the search for more DR or any other technical aspect of cameras is based on the need to overcome the skill gap without actually acquiring the skill, for example; higher FPS with fast shutter help shaky hands without learning the best way to stabilize the camera while shooting handheld, more DR reduce the need for HDR, Perfect Exposure, learning ETTR, or using ML, or checking histogram for clipped areas, also a better AF system and the hardships of MF without a proper focusing screen on your 5D III or focus peaking, its the need to get better in the easiest/shortest way possible, even if by throwing money at the issue.
While I agree that SOME people do this, it’s certianly not the case for everyone. Newer and better cameras are tools to minimize compromise. A sport shooter could do away with MF sometimes, but no way ever that we would see the quality and the number of spectacular shots we have today, with MF only or 1-2 fps.

The same goes for everything, I think many people would absolutely need/want 25600 iso that looks as clean as today’s 100 iso, and why not?

The tool is to make the result easier to get, that’s why I use power tools instead of old school manual ones, does that mean I can’t swing a hammer? Of course not, but I want to finish my deck before winter and not break my body doing so.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
While I agree that SOME people do this, it’s certianly not the case for everyone. Newer and better cameras are tools to minimize compromise. A sport shooter could do away with MF sometimes, but no way ever that we would see the quality and the number of spectacular shots we have today, with MF only or 1-2 fps.

The same goes for everything, I think many people would absolutely need/want 25600 iso that looks as clean as today’s 100 iso, and why not?

The tool is to make the result easier to get, that’s why I use power tools instead of old school manual ones, does that mean I can’t swing a hammer? Of course not, but I want to finish my deck before winter and not break my body doing so.

Please don't misunderstand, I am not saying the whole technical aspect is used in place of skill, I am saying seeking the bleeding edge of technology and the latest features is, and like anyone else I am guilty of it, it's not a bad thing if you seek it, but its not a good thing to depend on it, however, shooting sports or birds or action in general with low FPS is asking for low hit rate, or using 600mm in MF while chasing players, or using MF in events, maybe if you want few photos, its like going full manual in a challenging lighting while going for auto ISO will make your life easier.

The point is, new features and better aspects help make the life easier, but sometimes learning a few skills can help a lot.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Please don't misunderstand, I am not saying the whole technical aspect is used in place of skill, I am saying seeking the bleeding edge of technology and the latest features is, and like anyone else I am guilty of it, it's not a bad thing if you seek it, but its not a good thing to depend on it, however, shooting sports or birds or action in general with low FPS is asking for low hit rate, or using 600mm in MF while chasing players, or using MF in events, maybe if you want few photos, its like going full manual in a challenging lighting while going for auto ISO will make your life easier.

The point is, new features and better aspects help make the life easier, but sometimes learning a few skills can help a lot.
Agreed, there are those who think a new camera will make poor pictures suddenly become very good, but lacking the skill it’s of little use to upgrade.

I just felt like you generalized and claimed people just needed to learn how to use the gear.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Having spent a lot of time with the EOS R at Photokina I’m truly in two minds about it. On the one hand I like the smaller form factor, the four new lenses, how quick it focuses, and the quality of the images but on the other hand the control layout compared to the DSLRs is totally different and takes time to get used too.
The back button focus button could be further over to the left for my liking I found it irritating after awhile.
The FV function is pretty cool and I’m sure once used continuously the layout will become second nature so only time will tell.
The adapters work really well with EF lenses I used a EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM III and it focused quicker than it does on my DSLRs. Same was true with the EF 100 f2.8L IS USM.

Something says wait and that likely what I will do.

Upvote 0
Having spent a lot of time with the EOS R at Photokina I’m truly in two minds about it. On the one hand I like the smaller form factor, the four new lenses, how quick it focuses, and the quality of the images but on the other hand the control layout compared to the DSLRs is totally different and takes time to get used too.
The back button focus button could be further over to the left for my liking I found it irritating after awhile.
The FV function is pretty cool and I’m sure once used continuously the layout will become second nature so only time will tell.
The adapters work really well with EF lenses I used a EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM III and it focused quicker than it does on my DSLRs. Same was true with the EF 100 f2.8L IS USM.

Something says wait and that likely what I will do.

This is my intention too. The usage ist really different, also the swipe bar. But, like I learned to deal with Sony, I will learn to do this too.
But one big reason, why I´m really thinking of buying the EOS is, that I´ve spent a lot (really a lot) on cleaning my "dustophile" 7R Mk III sensor. So I´m in hope, the Eos R will behave better with the closed curtain.

Upvote 0
This is my intention too. The usage ist really different, also the swipe bar. But, like I learned to deal with Sony, I will learn to do this too.
But one big reason, why I´m really thinking of buying the EOS is, that I´ve spent a lot (really a lot) on cleaning my "dustophile" 7R Mk III sensor. So I´m in hope, the Eos R will behave better with the closed curtain.
Best solution in this respect (dust protection) is Fujifilm GFX 50S and R and future GFX100.
To protect sensor from dust they put glass protection filter 9mm in front of the sensor in the lens mount assembly. This also clearly seen on published pictures.
So no dust on the sensor, easy clean protection filter ( the same as front protection filter on lens).
Also as filter is 9mm away from sensor then dust on the filter practically not affecting image compared when dust is in the sensor itself and clearly visible on the image.
This one could be very strong reason to go with Fuji GFX instead of anything else, let alone other reasons.
Possibly GFX100 could be my next camera, i spend some time with GFX50S and really liked how everything is designed and done. Attention to every important detail. E.g. in eye AF they have selectable left or right eye priority, very convinient feature, lack of this in Sony a7/a9 is very irritating, as their eye AF pick eye almost randomly, frequently focusing on eye which is half closed by hairs and as result focus is not on eye but on hairs in front of eye. With GFX i can tell camera which eye, left or right to use for focus. Very handy.

Upvote 0
Best solution in this respect (dust protection) is Fujifilm GFX 50S and R and future GFX100.
To protect sensor from dust they put glass protection filter 9mm in front of the sensor in the lens mount assembly. This also clearly seen on published pictures.
So no dust on the sensor, easy clean protection filter ( the same as front protection filter on lens).
Also as filter is 9mm away from sensor then dust on the filter practically not affecting image compared when dust is in the sensor itself and clearly visible on the image.
This one could be very strong reason to go with Fuji GFX instead of anything else, let alone other reasons.
Possibly GFX100 could be my next camera, i spend some time with GFX50S and really liked how everything is designed and done. Attention to every important detail. E.g. in eye AF they have selectable left or right eye priority, very convinient feature, lack of this in Sony a7/a9 is very irritating, as their eye AF pick eye almost randomly, frequently focusing on eye which is half closed by hairs and as result focus is not on eye but on hairs in front of eye. With GFX i can tell camera which eye, left or right to use for focus. Very handy.
Left eye. - Right eye AF, that’s a new one. What’s next, blue eye vs green eye?

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
For me, the more shallow dof, the better :cool:
And for me that's a special effect I use sparingly. I find my f/3.5-5.6 kit lens works well for me almost all the time. I don't see much point in putting on an f/1.4 lens just to wind up shooting at f/8. It's great to have choices and to have our own styles and tastes.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
And for me that's a special effect I use sparingly. I find my f/3.5-5.6 kit lens works well for me almost all the time. I don't see much point in putting on an f/1.4 lens just to wind up shooting at f/8. It's great to have choices and to have our own styles and tastes.

Agreed! I normally shoot my lenses wide open, if I frequently stopped down I could do with a zoom:) besides the “one eye in focus” argument is only valid with headshots, using the 35 f1.4 L II for full body shots renders the entire person sharp wide open.

Upvote 0