Lots of New mirrorless and DSLR cameras in the pipeline

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
The guys at Canon are chuckling to themselves reading all these comments. You dont make a RF 28-85mm f2L lens and a RF 50mm f1.2L lens if your not going to make a professional body as well. Photokina is annual from next year most likely Canon will launch something ahead of this in May 2019.
I certainly concur with your first two sentences, in total. However, I believe there is still insufficient information to make an informed decision or even a good guess as to a much wanted RF pro body release date. Bring it on Canon. You started something here so run with it and wow us. We're waiting.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Your original statement was:

Are you now agreeing that youTube might have more influence than it once did over what people buy?

The influence of the youTube pot stirrers has reached a point where the camera makers are having to pay attention to it and it seems to be affecting the way they design their products.

Gone are they days when a team designing a lens primarily intended for portrait work would place smooth bokeh as a more highly desired attribute than absolute sharpness from corner to corner when imaging a flat test chart. Gone are the days when overall image quality at typically viewed sizes was a more important consideration than total megapixels and IQ at 100% pixel peeping magnifications.

More and more the cameras and lenses from all of the manufacturers are being designed to look good on the spec sheet and at DxO Mark. The actual appropriateness of the camera or lens for a specific intended task is no longer important. It's how the youTubers will react to the spec sheet and the DxO Mark results that matters now.
Understand your point here but not sure I can agree with the last paragraph, at least where Canon is concerned. If they really were influenced by YTr's opinions and expectations and DxO scores, they would not have produced a FF mirrorless camera without IBIS and uncropped 4K. They completely bucked the commentary and went full speed ahead without the features that the former think are absolutely positively necessary to be a viable offering in the mirrorless market.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I have no information, I'm pulling this out of my ass, but I suspect in terms of number 1 most important influencer for purchasing choices:

Low end (<$500 cameras) = Amazon (etc) reviews.
Medium (500-3000) = Youtube channels.
High (3000+) = Dedicated information sites such as this.

Back when the #1 purchasers of pro-grade cameras, by a fairly large margin, were the photo departments of newspapers/magazines, the #1 most important influencer was compatibility with what the buyer's equipment cabinet already had in it.

Thanks for you response. I did rent the 5DsR but did not like it for wildlife photography which is the most I do. It was too noisy and after using 5D4 I also did not like the lack of touch screen. At this point I am shooting Canon 5D4 and Sony a9 and a7r3. I am good with the resolution and speed of a7r3. One of the biggest down side I have with Sony is lack of native 600mm f/4 lens. Still I am interested in high res Canon camera to pair with the Canon EF 600mm f/4.

Do you realize that when you adapt a non-Sony lens to the α9 your maximum frame rate when doing AF between each frame drops to about 5 fps?

Understand your point here but not sure I can agree with the last paragraph, at least where Canon is concerned. If they really were influenced by YTr's opinions and expectations and DxO scores, they would not have produced a FF mirrorless camera without IBIS and uncropped 4K. They completely bucked the commentary and went full speed ahead without the features that the former think are absolutely positively necessary to be a viable offering in the mirrorless market.

You are assuming they could have included IBIS and uncropped 4K if they had wanted to. The prevailing opinion among outsiders not privy to Canon's internal secrets is that, at least in the case of uncropped 4K, their current sensor technology does not read out fast enough to support it using a 30+ MP Dual Pixel sensor.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Some disagree with me when I say that Canon is at the top of the food chain when it comes to knowing how to segment their products. But even this set of leaked specs proves just how far they'll go to artificially segment their products. Anyone know what I'm referring to?
The damn battery indicator! Some of the cameras (lower-tier, presumably) have a 4-level battery indicator while some have a 6-level battery indicator. Come the f*** on, Canon! Could you BE a touch more pedantic?
Not to hold Sony up as some paragon of camera design, but everything, from their lowly A5100 up to the A9 all display the percent left of the battery. How hard is that to implement so you don't have to dive into the menus to find it? Seems like an exact measure would be ideal yet Canon (and Nikon) want to stick with a dumb image of a battery with segments on it.

Yes, Canon does a great job segmenting the marketing place but IMO fails to address some needs. I want 1Dx AF in a body with a crop sensor. Nikon keeps roughly the same AF in pro and pro sumer bodies. Canon does not, if you want great AF buy a 1Dx M2.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Yes, Canon does a great job segmenting the marketing place but IMO fails to address some needs. I want 1Dx AF in a body with a crop sensor. Nikon keeps roughly the same AF in pro and pro sumer bodies. Canon does not, if you want great AF buy a 1Dx M2.
Canon does have pretty much the same AF in the 7D2 as in the 1Dx series - the difference is that the metering sensor is 150,000ixels as opposed to the 1Dx 300,000 pixel and from what I understand this is pretty much the as with the Nikon D500/D5 models. So I am not sure what you mean that Nikon do something that Canon does not.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I think a good option would be for the 'shots remaining' indicator to have an option to show the estimated number of shots left on the card or the estimated number of shots remaining until the battery dies. The two numbers could be different colours, for example red number = shots remaining until battery expires, white = number remaining until card is full.

Probably the sensible logic for this would be to switch over to showing 'battery remaining' shots once the battery gets lower than 40% or so. Maybe a little battery symbol next to the number so you also know the number relates to battery and not to card storage.

But with a modern card I hardly ever get close to filling the card. The number of shots remaining on battery power is much more useful.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Back when the #1 purchasers of pro-grade cameras, by a fairly large margin, were the photo departments of newspapers/magazines, the #1 most important influencer was compatibility with what the buyer's equipment cabinet already had in it.

Do you realize that when you adapt a non-Sony lens to the α9 your maximum frame rate when doing AF between each frame drops to about 5 fps?

You are assuming they could have included IBIS and uncropped 4K if they had wanted to. The prevailing opinion among outsiders not privy to Canon's internal secrets is that, at least in the case of uncropped 4K, their current sensor technology does not read out fast enough to support it using a 30+ MP Dual Pixel sensor.
That is a very good point, echoed by Canon's engineers recently. That does not, however, indicate they were influenced by You Tubers but rather restricted by technology or perhaps, lact thereof. That leaves us all wondering how we will possibly get a better Pro R version anytime soon without improved sensor technology or using someone else's sensor. We all hope they will come up with a viable solution.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Canon does have pretty much the same AF in the 7D2 as in the 1Dx series - the difference is that the metering sensor is 150,000ixels as opposed to the 1Dx 300,000 pixel and from what I understand this is pretty much the as with the Nikon D500/D5 models. So I am not sure what you mean that Nikon do something that Canon does not.

I along with many other photographers I shoot with, all have said that the 1Dx M2 AF is significantly better than the AF in the 7D M2.

On a recent shoot of flying raptors, I compared the keeper ratio between my 1Dx M2 w/ 200-400 vs Nikon D500 w/ Sigma 150-600 contemporary - the Nikon won.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I along with many other photographers I shoot with, all have said that the 1Dx M2 AF is significantly better than the AF in the 7D M2.

On a recent shoot of flying raptors, I compared the keeper ratio between my 1Dx M2 w/ 200-400 vs Nikon D500 w/ Sigma 150-600 contemporary - the Nikon won.

I agree. But what did you expect that when the metering sensor (which is used by the AF) is half the size, the battery is significantly smaller and it has only one processor to do AF and other functions? Unless you can show me otherwise, I believe the same comparison applies to the D500 vs D5.
And I have also heard many times that the D500 is better than the 7Dii for tracking birds in flight, but that does not mean the D500 is any more similar to the performance of the D5 than the 7D2 is to the 1Dx2.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
That is a very good point, echoed by Canon's engineers recently. That does not, however, indicate they were influenced by You Tubers but rather restricted by technology or perhaps, lact thereof. That leaves us all wondering how we will possibly get a better Pro R version anytime soon without improved sensor technology or using someone else's sensor. We all hope they will come up with a viable solution.

As always, define 'better'. Without any idea of what you have in mind it is a pointless comment.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Sarcasm aside, what do you mean by 'better'? It probably means different things to me than it does to you...or anyone else.
You already established the questionable use of the word "better" here, so, with the level of erudition that you bring to the CR roundtable, I'm a little surprised at your use of the word "probably." Do I dare engage in verbal volleyball with a person expressing a comment that would be, "probably pointless" on your side of the table. I think not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0