Canon EOS R vs 5D Mark IV - Pros & Cons

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Hi Talys.
You forgot gloves, touch screens don’t work with gloves, even the touch screen compatible ones are sporadic at best and that type of glove is in my experience generally not warm enough during the winter months, after a couple of hours holding a magnesium camera they sap the heat away from your hands very efficiently.

Cheers, Graham.

Yes, good point. This is very true, for birding too. There are a lot of subjects like migratory birds and owls that we see here only in certain winter months, when warm gloves are very welcome.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Yes, good point. This is very true, for birding too. There are a lot of subjects like migratory birds and owls that we see here only in certain winter months, when warm gloves are very welcome.

Alberta and it can snow any month of the year - this year mid Sept. and I was out shooting with gloves and managing quite well.

Jack

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Out shooting with gloves, and using a touch screen?
I have tried various gloves, they invariably don’t work well with touch screens, :unsure: but they always work well with the joystick! :oops::LOL:

Cheers, Graham.

Alberta and it can snow any month of the year - this year mid Sept. and I was out shooting with gloves and managing quite well.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi Jack.
Out shooting with gloves, and using a touch screen?
I have tried various gloves, they invariably don’t work well with touch screens, :unsure: but they always work well with the joystick! :oops::LOL:

Cheers, Graham.

Graham - 1DX2. Sometimes I use a wool "sock" on my right hand. It's a piece I cut off of the top of very heavy above the ankle winter wool socks and is very "elastic". The end towards my fingers tends to shrink shut until I force my fingers out. When not firing, my fingers would be curled up in the sock. It can also be pushed back onto the wrist. Not perfect but an option.

I've toyed with trying to extend this idea to a sock that would partially pull over the side of the camera. In that case you'd slide your hand into a woolly pocket. I'd love to hear anyone's ideas.

Jack

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Graham - 1DX2. Sometimes I use a wool "sock" on my right hand. It's a piece I cut off of the top of very heavy above the ankle winter wool socks and is very "elastic". The end towards my fingers tends to shrink shut until I force my fingers out. When not firing, my fingers would be curled up in the sock. It can also be pushed back onto the wrist. Not perfect but an option.

I've toyed with trying to extend this idea to a sock that would partially pull over the side of the camera. In that case you'd slide your hand into a woolly pocket. I'd love to hear anyone's ideas.

Jack

There are lots of gloves out there that are made to work with a touchscreen....

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-touchscreen-gloves/

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Don.
Thanks for the link. Not sure if I can get any of them in the UK. They might be a bit warm for our winter if they are for Canadian or arctic winters.
I think I have 5 different pairs of touch screen compatible gloves from the high street (UK) from reputable brand to store’s own brand, they all seem to stop working after a couple of days use, don’t ask me what I do to them I don’t know!
So the solution is mash the big button on the phone and say ‘Call Angela’ and use the joystick on the camera, no need for flakey gloves! :D
I’m sure some others get on well with touch screen compatible gloves, I just seem to short them out or something or maybe it is my fingers as I sometimes have problems with touch screens without gloves unless I huff on my fingers like when cleaning spectacles! :unsure::confused:

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
In my case I guess I go out when it's much colder and virtually all gloves aren't enough for me. I'm talking down to close to -20C. Since I don't need touch except for video it's not an issue. I've heard comments that the cameras won't work down to those temps but my 6D did.

If only I could say a glove would be too warm!!;) Poor circulation getting worse with age. I do pack hand warmers.

Jack

Upvote 0
A bit early, but let's get it started! How does the Canon EOS R compare to the 5D Mark IV?

I admit, this is for completely self-serving reasons, but I'm sure the feedback can be useful to others stuck between choosing one or the other. ;)

EOS 5D4 Pro/Cons vs R
+CIPA-rated at 900 shots per charge (OVF doesn't burn battery like an EVF)
+Native mounting of EF lenses (no need to buy an adapter)
+Faster burst (with proper AF working)
+Larger buffer
+dual card slots
+built-in GPS
+Proper control wheel and buttons around the thumb grip
+same LP-E6(N) batteries as 5D II, III, 6D, 7D, R series cameras (among others)
-heavier
-static LCD
- cannot mount new RF lenses
-no native C-Log on early models

EOS R Pro/Cons vs 5D4
+lighter
+newer technology (native RF mount, Eye-AF)
+cheaper
+vari-angle flipscreen
+same LP-E6(N) batteries as 5D II, III, IV, 6D, 7D series cameras (among others)
+improved low-light capabiliy (ISO 100-40000 with expansion up to 102400)
+faster SD slot (UHS-II)
+USB 3.1 plus ability to charge battery in-camera (LP-E6N only)
+faster autofocus
+autofocus at f11
-CIPA-rated at 350 shots per charge (EVF) / 370 shots (LCD), Power saving mode 430 and 450 shots respectively, Eco mode 540 and 560 shots

I'll be happy to update this first post as necessary with feedback provided from the comments.

**Thanks to @ahsanford for helping me get the list started.
In the video I didn't hear them mention "faster autofocus" What I heard, correct me if I am wrong, is that the greater number of contacts allows faster communication between lens and body which aides autofocus and they said the R has more accurate autofocus in low light. My Sony mirroless certainly has more accurate AF in low light, but it is very slow.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Has there been any word on weather sealing on the R? That bare metal-to-metal mount connection doesn't look too weather-resistant.

Also, is it new that you can record 4K to an external recorder with an HDMI cable? I don't use video much, so I don't know if the 5D4 did this already or not.
Comparable to the 6D MKII for weather sealing. My 6D MKII was soaked on my last trip out on Dartmoor, wiped it dry with a towel back at my car and its been perfectly fine.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Are you sure it is faster? Canon has a footnote as a caveat for fastest: "Among interchangeable lens digital mirrorless cameras incorporating 35mm full frame equivalent image sensors with phase-difference detection AF on the image plane and contrast detection AF, available in the market as of September 5th, 2018 (Based on Canon's Research).", which excludes the 5DIV. In fact, the EOS R is rated by Canon at 5 fps for focussing for APS-C vs 7 fps for the 5DIV. The EOS R can do 10 fps only if it doesn't AF after the first frame.
Trust me it focuses fast

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Canon is DOOMED!

Canon is DOOMED!

Their mirrorless only come with ONE CARD SLOT!

None of the human on the planet will buy EOS R!

This is a dying subject. The new Sony one piece SD cards are the future (not breakdown prone CFast). 32, 64 & 128GD, 300mb/s read, 299 mb/s write V90 SDXC II. Can be dropped up 5 metres without failure!

Never had a single SD card failure, cannot say the same for CF & CFast.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
"trolling" ...

when i criticize Canon for glaring omission of certain features, for technically and economically inexplicable design decisions (single SD slot, or dual slot with only 1 reasonably slot, the other one slow), and for very obvious marketing nerfing in even the tiniest aspects of a product's functionality (eg " 4 vs 6 segment vs %-precise battery charge meter) ... then it is considered "trolling" by some CanonFanBoys around here and obfuscated and ridiculed. so what!

Biggest difference between Sony and Canon/Nikon: Sony delivers *the very best they possibly can* to their customers, on their own volition and because they know, theyhave to in order to win us over.

Canon and Nikon generally are just sitting on their fat asses and large "legacy" customer base and only ever deliver great stuff, when they are really pushed hard by "public opinion" and forced to do so.

people like myself make sure Canon and Nikon get the necessary push and shove and straightfoward feedback they need to deliver decent stuff. If it were up to "the old Canon Defense League", Canon would simply get away with just about anything, no matter how ludicrously nerfed and mediocre it is.

people like me, our public criticism and our purchasing decisions have forced Canon to bring finally bring a mirrorfree FF camera system to market, no matter how much they would have preferred to sell 10 more iterations of marginally improved mirrorslappers to their old faithful.

so, just thank us "forum trolls", we are doing Canon customers a favor by influencibg public opinion on Canon products. Canon is forced to heed our criticism. if they ignore it for too long, they truly are doomed. just like kodak and nokia phones were. that's the nice thing about "the internets".

Utter non-sense. When you have seen the RF lenses up close and personal as well as the newer EF lenses, when you have seen Sony cameras sitting on shelves while 5D MKIVs go out on rental then your understand Canon is a business. A business needs to make money so it can innovate, to defend patents, to support clients, to train & pay staff. To have a room full of technicians, cameras & lenses at major events, to provide a three day turn-around service for CPS members, to have dealer support, to have sales & marketing staff. You don't risk that by always being the market leader in technology change, however Canon are one of the largest companies in the world in filing patents with real world benefits on things like dual-pixel sensors. Canon will do just fine, sure Sony make great products but ask yourself what happened to their TV market where once they were the market leader?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
This is a dying subject. The new Sony one piece SD cards are the future (not breakdown prone CFast). 32, 64 & 128GD, 300mb/s read, 299 mb/s write V90 SDXC II. Can be dropped up 5 metres without failure!

Never had a single SD card failure, cannot say the same for CF & CFast.
It's not only about physical damage! It is also about data corruption or any other accident.
I had an SD card freeze my 5DIV. I did suspect the card but before that it worked flawlessly in my 7DII and 5D3. Now it works also flawlessly in my G7X II. Go figure! But a second slot is useful no matter what (even for a very important small subset of our photos)

Upvote 0