Reliable CFast cards for 1D X Mark II

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Can’t help with the card thing, except to say I have reservations about accepting “at least an hour at a time so it (camera) reached ambient”.
I was out all day with my 1DsIII in falling snow during the Goodwood Revival, actual temp -1 to -2c, wind chill (real feel) temp somewhat lower, magnesium body felt like -20 :eek: even after buying sheepskin gloves! ::) ;D
From the exif, camera temp at the end of the day, 3c, temp during the coldest time when I was just waiting and found a snow drift in the hood the next time I lifted the camera, 1c and during that time the camera was hanging on the strap untouched so no insulation from gloved hands.
I had a look at one of your shots of mother and daughter (deer) using Jeffrey’s exif viewer and there are lots of fields that say things like “Canon File Info 0x0011 -1” the next value is 88! None say camera temperature but I’ll bet it is one of the canon file values.
I know -1c is no where near as cold as -10c but I was out all day! As a matter of interest for you, you could check the temperature in your exif and find out if the camera ever reached ambient, perhaps tell us what temperature was reached.

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Well if the 1DX2 can only operate to 0 C then I'd be out of luck virtually all winter. I've shot -10C routinely with the 6D and 1DX2 and been out in it for at least an hour at a time so it reached ambient. I bet Canon just doesn't want to be held responsible and plays conservative.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I recently had a Delkin 128 GB CF Fast card fail on me. I sorted out pictures in camera by giving the keepers a star, so I know that the images was recorded to the card. I had the camera set to reading from the CFast.

When I tried to import the pictures in Lightroom many pictures did not show up. I tried to put the CFast back into the camera, and the camera couldn’t find the pictures either.

I was saved by the old and trusted compact flash.

I don’t know what happened, but I noted that the camera passed a 10000 numbering of images, starting all over from 0 short time before the failure. Further, when I formatted the CFast, the numbering of pictures started from 0 again. I don’t know if this is connected to the failure.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
I first found this in Flickr, click show exif! You should see the info that is available, AFMA settings, what shooting mode is used, focus mode and a ton more.
Wow, I just checked DPP, so little info! :eek:

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Thanks Graham, I had no idea the camera recorded temperature. It is unlikely one hour is enough to fully reach ambient after more thought, especially with a large lens attached. Now I'll be looking at the EXIF (don't think it shows in DPP though).

Jack

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
After a bit more digging around I found that the 1DsIII temperature shows up in Jeffrey’s exif viewer in plain text, more digging leads me to believe the 1DsIII may be the last 1D series to display the temperature in exif, I can tell you that I have looked on the Flickr exif for camera temperature on 1Dx and 1DxII and have been unable to find it, the 7DII still shows it.

Cheers, Graham.

Valvebounce said:
Hi Jack.
I first found this in Flickr, click show exif! You should see the info that is available, AFMA settings, what shooting mode is used, focus mode and a ton more.
Wow, I just checked DPP, so little info! :eek:

Cheers, Graham.

Jack Douglas said:
Thanks Graham, I had no idea the camera recorded temperature. It is unlikely one hour is enough to fully reach ambient after more thought, especially with a large lens attached. Now I'll be looking at the EXIF (don't think it shows in DPP though).

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Graphic.Artifacts said:
I’ve heard C200 shooters talking up the EgoDisk Pro CFast cards. If they can handle raw from the C200 hard to imagine they couldn’t keep up with the 1Dx II. If you search Amazon and EBay prices seem to be around $300 US for a 256gB.

:( :(

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=EgoDisk+Pro+CFast+card

Can you believe $520 CAD (405 USD), not unexpected since this is the usual scenario up here although occasionally we get a break.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
A while back I bought a Super Talent STT Cfast 256GB Pro Storage Card (FDM256JMDF) and I tried it at 4K 30 - no problem. That's $143 CAD for 256 GB. Today as I waited and no birds came by I thought,I might as well shoot a video to see what happens at 4K 60 - well nothing happened it just recorded the video, about 4 minutes worth. Now I'm wondering what I should watch out for since surely this Cfast 1 card is rated to this speed??

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I just bought a ProGrade 128GB CFast card and it’s working well.

I remember originally sanitizing my Sandisk 64GB CFast when the 1DX2 launched. I haven’t since then, however. I might try it again.

Can the Sandisk sanitizer work with different card brands - Lexar, ProGrade, etc. ????

I believe they are essentially the same. My second Super Talent STT Cfast 256GB Pro Storage Card (FDM256JMDF) is performing well so far.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack, you say your card is a CFast 1 and not 2?

That's the big surprise because they are not rated that highly. The first one I got had an added sticker giving an updated speed rating but I long since threw that out. I have yet to try the second one at 4K 60 but the first card did over 30 minutes without a hiccup. I've been too busy as usual but will try to give an update soon. We've had the most crummy weather since late summer and garden harvesting has cut into my time etc.

Jack

Upvote 0