Another Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L IS mention [CR2]

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
With all the talk of the 24-70 2.8 IS over the years I would assume that design was 80-90% done when Canon released the mark II. Wouldn’t be too hard to finish it up then release an EF version. But no doubt Canon has been working on an RF version probably close to the start of the EOS R development. I personally would most likely buy the RF version and the next version of the EOS R

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Lens IS has worked great for me--both with stills and video. And while I've never used a camera with IBIS, I have seen some absolutely horrible videos/vlog footage using IBIS over the last few years (including Sony--DRoc filming Gary Vee, to be more precise). Maybe it's gotten better by now with the current models--tech is always improving--but it seems to me there's a big risk in using it and having some of the footage look weird.

Just read Steve Huff's first impressions of the "R" and in it he also discuss IBIS. He comments on the IBIS on the Sony:

"I have always found the 5 Axis inside the Sony A7 series to be lackluster. At least for video. I have loads of shaky Sony video with 5 Axis active. I used to think it was defective in my A7RII as I never saw any benefit when shooting video. When it was the same in the A7rIII I realized that in full frame cameras it just will not be like it is in Micro 4/3 cameras."

It was interesting as I read a similar comment elsewhere that IBIS on the Sony is not particularly useful.

Which in some ways doesn't surprise me as implementing IBIS on a FF sensor must be considerably more difficult than on the much smaller M4/3rds systems. Of course, all those spec lovers and Canon bashers don't really care as long as they can push their agendas and try to make Canon look so inferior. And, as usual, it looks like Canon knows what they are doing and won't put out a product that doesn't meet their high standards, as opposed to other companies that don't care very much about the quality as long as they have that impressive spec sheet.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
RF 2.8 24-70 IS for 1900 EUR 900 g
EF 2.8 24-70 IS for 2900 EUR 1200 g

Because strong retrofocus design necessary for EF design is much more advanced / needs more/thicker/more extreme lenses (shape, material) ...
This will support automatically the RF system but opens a route for the DX-mark ii etc users which prefer e.g. the direct optical viewfinder.
And for the RF system you have a 1000 EUR "consumer" 24-105, a mid class 2000 EUR 24-70 and a high end 3000 EUR 28-70 with f/2 as top spec ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Just read Steve Huff's first impressions of the "R" and in it he also discuss IBIS. He comments on the IBIS on the Sony:

[...]

Which in some ways doesn't surprise me as implementing IBIS on a FF sensor must be considerably more difficult than on the much smaller M4/3rds systems.

[...]

A good point - if you scale the sensor by three dimensions by a factor of 1.6 or 2 you have 5x or 8x the mass which has to be moved compared to APS-C or M4/3 sensors which means the same amount of increased forces to move the sensor and energy consumption - if memory serves well heat production by IBIS was a concern of Canon engineers.

Maybe Canon will wants to do it really right in the first iteration. While being conservative Canon cameras run within their specs very well, no wrong promises. Not to this topic but to support this impression: The EF-M 1.4 32 has no IS and costs a lot of money but it has with very good IQ straight from f/1.4 (f/1.4 was the reason to buy it),very good closeup capability (1:4 max reprod. ratio!) and compact size / low mass. No fancy-factor but a great satisfaction factor in terms of possible creativity!

EDITED (I need some english lessons :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense for there to be any internal "debate" over which mounts to make it for. Lenses aren't mulled over for years then quickly slapped together at the last moment; if the lens was going to come out in 18 months, let alone 12, that would mean prototypes are already made and the optical formula, in particular, would already be mostly in place.

Which means if there is any question over the mount then the optics can't be optimised for the R system; what you're suggesting is they do like Sigma and simply build in the basic adapter onto the EF version of the lens. Considering they are selling four adapters (three w/ two SKUs for the filter adapter), and the whole selling point of the R system being the new lens mount allowing for better designs, it makes no sense at all for Canon to develop an EF lens then build an RF adapter into it. Either they're going to design the lens for the R from the ground up, which means an optical formula which won't work properly on EF mount, or they'd make just the EF version and have people buy the existing EF-RF adapters.

If you posted this report verbatim, then whoever your sources are don't know how lenses—or any technology product, really—are developed. If you paraphrased them and wrote the copy yourself then either they don't know how these things work and/or you misunderstood what they were saying. Either way, neither of you thought through the logic of these statements.

I'll reiterate, if the lens is supposed to be on store shelves in 18 months then that means they started designing it at least one year ago—if not two years, and potentially many more—and usable prototypes are currently out there. The last 3-4 months of a lens' development are spent entirely on marketing and getting units produced ready to be shipped out for release, and the year before that is spent testing the design and making incremental tweaks. If it's 18 months away from being in public hands then its mount and the majority of the optical formula and electronics would have been laid out sometime in 2017 or earlier.

You don't spend 2-4 years coming up with a lens then right at the start of UAT start questioning whether you've put the right mount on it or not.

FWIW, here in the UK it's selling at around the same pace as the 6DmkII, 7DmkII, D500, and the average Fuji body, according to the staff of the local branch of the main UK photographic chain store. (Who generally know what they're on about.) I.E. it's not breaking any new ground but it's doing "fine". Which is about what I'd expect given that, even though new lens mounts are what have always changed the photographic industry in the past, these days everybody is just focused on which sensor can eek out another .5 stop of DR.

As it happens, I'm in a similar position but looking at the R specifically because of the lenses it offers. I'm hoping to change up my work in the new year so I won't have such high demands on gear and can go more with what I'm comfortable with rather than what fits the technical requirements; I hope to get everything done with one system and I hope to not have to update that system. Getting the next ten years done with one bag's worth of kit is my goal. "Life kit" may be stretching it, but long-term, certainly.
And to that end, the 28-70 f/2 can get a helluva lot done in just one lens, and nobody else has anything like it nor even rumoured to be working on such a lens. If that lens didn't exist or if other companies had equivalents out or upcoming, I wouldn't look twice at the R; I'd just expand my Fuji gear and buy a couple of X-H2s when that body comes out. But the RF 28-70 f/2 is keeping the R on my radar. If Canon can hurry up with a more pro-grade body (two cards, IBIS, better battery life, further sealing) in the next year then I'll go all-in on the R and that f/2 zoom.

You guys talking about buying your life kit are getting me depressed. Stop it.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Guys, there would be a whole lot more than a mount difference involved. Remember flange distance. The RF version would have to have a completely different body. So while the optical formula might be the same (Doubt it very, very, very much because the optics on an RF mount lens has to be designed for the closer sensor.), they would be two different lenses.

Canon will not release this lens in RF mount. This will be an EF lens. If you want a mid zoom "L" in RF mount, you've got to buy the 28-70mm f/2. Period. If you want 24-70mm IS, then you adapt it to the EOS R. Makes a whole lot more sense that way. There will not be two mid zoom "L" lenses with RF mounts.

Now, the hand wringing can stop. :rolleyes: While I find the hand wringing to be entertaining, methinks somebody else does too. You are being trolled and there are people LMAO about it. Could even be Canon doing the trolling. One of the best ways to protect information is with disinformation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’m starting to be angered by the continual teasing about the possible release of a new 2.8 24-70 IS. This has been going on for over 4 yrs now. As a professional commercial photographer that deals with a wide variety of assignments, the 24-70 is my most important lens. My client’s tastes have changed over the past 20 yrs. and they now want a more spontaneous candid look for their promotion images. I think a lot that is due to what we are now used to seeing on social media; spontaneous loose images. In order for me to deliver that I’m now shooting much more on the fly using available light. I need IS lenses in order to capture those images in what is often less than ideal situations. I don’t have time to be switching various prime lenses, the 24-70 stays the my camera around 70% of the time. Last year I finally gave up waiting for Canon and purchased the Tamron G2. It’s a very nice lens which has helped me capture images I would have missed with my Canon 24-70 non-IS. That said, I know a Canon IS version would make me feel a bit more comfortable when shooting at f 4 or wider.
Come-on Canon, put the damn lens out! Trust me, all the pro photographers I know will grab one, even if it’s slightly higher priced. And by the way, we’re shooting with EF mount. From what I can tell you’re still a couple years away from putting out a mirrorless that I’ll be comfortable shooting my livelihood with...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
^ Could they have designs/prototypes of the lens for both mounts? We know they've got an RF 24-70 in the pipeline (from Canon representatives' own words at Photokina), although we don't know if it has IS or not...and there have been reports of an EF IS version on this site for at least 2-3 years it seems.

Never trust a salesman. Besides, the OP implies same lens different mount. It ain't gonna happen.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Guys, there would be a whole lot more than a mount difference involved. Remember flange distance. The RF version would have to have a completely different body. So while the optical formula might be the same (Doubt it very, very, very much because the optics on an RF mount lens has to be designed for the closer sensor.), they would be two different lenses.

yes.

But ... RF 28-70/2.0 is mainly a "show-off" lens (for Canon, R system and for a few customers). it is too big, heavy, expensive, conspicuos to serve as "workhorse" wide-standard zoom for most customers - pro's, semi-pro's, enthusiasts, anything involving people, events, indoors use.

As per Canon's sketchy RF lens "roadmap" indications, f/2.8 zooms are next on the list. A RF 24-70/2.8 L IS (since there is no IBIS) has got to be one of them, in addition to a wide zoom (RF 16-35/2.8 IS) and a tele zoom RF 70-200/2.8 L IS.

Along with the "higher end" EOS R body Canon needs to have the f/2.8 IS zoom lens trifecta as solid corner stones of the RF lens lineup.

EF? Well Canon has patents and even tested 24-70/2.8 IS but for whatever reasons was not able or willing to launch it. I don't think they'll launch it now, when they are fully focussed on filling out the new RF system and need to get as many customers to buy into it, to reach "critical mass" fast.

mirrorfree FF has gone full mainstream now. Canon is no longer only up vs. Sony but also vs. Nikon, which Canon historically takes much more serious as a competitor. Most of Canon's attention will go to EOS R / RF lens lineup. EF is on its (slow) way out. It will be "maintained" for the time being, but not much more.

so my expection is 24-70 IS in RF mount only. new optical formula to fully leverage advantages possible with shorter FFD. "fit for 100 MP sensors". :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
It makes no sense to have the same design for both lenses, the EF due to the distance from the sensor has to have a different design all together. Having EF with a converter is the least worse option, but it is not the best option for the R system. Canon has the capability to design two different lenses having similarities and differences. But choosing the same lens design for both is, in my view, not the best policy.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Another big, heavy and expensive lens. Sigh...

yes. 800 grams, 2499 :)

hopefully, a RF 24-70/4 L IS at 600 grams, 1299 will come a bit later.
and maybe also a "consumer version" RF 24-105 f/3.5-5.6.
and maybe a few moderately fast, compact Non-L RF primes "at reasonable prices" as well.

but ... later! Only after early adopters' wallets have been duly milked. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
yes.

But ... RF 28-70/2.0 is mainly a "show-off" lens (for Canon, R system and for a few customers). it is too big, heavy, expensive, conspicuos to serve as "workhorse" wide-standard zoom for most customers - pro's, semi-pro's, enthusiasts, anything involving people, events, indoors use.

Eh, I'm not sure about that. I don't think Canon will have done this lens for just a "few" customers. Yes, it is heavy, but so is a 70-200 and people buy it in large numbers. But we'll see.

A RF 24-70/2.8 L IS (since there is no IBIS) has got to be one of them, in addition to a wide zoom (RF 16-35/2.8 IS) and a tele zoom RF 70-200/2.8 L IS.

Maybe, but people have been getting by very well without IS on the short and mid zooms. We don't see it on the RF 28-70. I highly doubt we'll see it on the short zoom which might very well wind up being another f/2. Absolutely will see IS on a long zoom which will probably be more like a 70-150, also f/2. From what I understand, IBIS on Sony FF is mediocre. The larger sensor being problematic for IBIS. Reference post #23 in this thread by DAK. Again, Sony providing a feature not ready for prime time.

Along with the "higher end" EOS R body Canon needs to have the f/2.8 IS zoom lens trifecta as solid corner stones of the RF lens lineup.

f/2 Trifecta. I think this is going to be primarily a studio camera if fast RF lenses are to be used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
An EOS R pro, would want the bread and butter pro lenses to match - if we are expecting a R pro in 6 months these these new pro lenses at 12 -18 months off seem unlikely to me. Unless proven new lens tech need a new manufacturing facility set up to produce them.
Regarding the slow sales of the R - sure i see that for working pro's, but for tech fans isn't it still very desirable body especially with the 28-70mm F2. I know i'd want to shoot with this combo loads if possible.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

Canon will not release this lens in RF mount. This will be an EF lens. If you want a mid zoom "L" in RF mount, you've got to buy the 28-70mm f/2. Period. If you want 24-70mm IS, then you adapt it to the EOS R. Makes a whole lot more sense that way. There will not be two mid zoom "L" lenses with RF mounts.

Now, the hand wringing can stop. :rolleyes: While I find the hand wringing to be entertaining, methinks somebody else does too. You are being trolled and there are people LMAO about it. Could even be Canon doing the trolling. One of the best ways to protect information is with disinformation.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
f/2 Trifecta. I think this is going to be primarily a studio camera if fast RF lenses are to be used.

well, I don't think we're going to see a RF 70-200/2.0 any day soon. :)

But let's stick to what Canon themselves have said:
During yesterday’s launch, Canon mentioned that they’re already working on “a series of fast f/2.8 lenses and more”.
So: RF f/2.8 zooms [plural] are up next.
And there is a Canon patent for RF 24-70/2.8 L IS - with 2 alternative optical designs.
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-ef-lenses-rumours-and-news/

To me the only questions re. RF 24-70/2.8 L IS are "when?", "how big?" and "how much?"
Next, I think a wide-angle zoom - either 14-24/2.8 or 16-35/2.8 - will come to RF, probably also with IS.
70-200/2.8 type tele zoom will probably come later - EF 70-200/2.8 III update has been done to hold out until then.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
An RF 24-70 F2.8 IS makes sense to me if Canon wants to sell higher end R cameras. The RF 28-70 doesn't have IS and it is heavy and expensive. The RF 28-70 and the RF 24-105 should soon tell us whether the new R mount permits significantly better lens IQ. If better IQ is possible, then an RF 24-70 F 2.8 IS seems pretty much inevitable to me. An EF 24-70 F2.8 IS would be a different animal, with a much more retrofocal design.

Upvote 0