New diffractive optics super telephoto lenses on the way, with a new twist….. [CR1]

Not so fast everyone. I for one although against the first iteration of mirrorless cameras would welcome DO lenses.

But, and there is a big but, we have to see if Canon can reduce the weight in relation to the new version III teles. The new 600 III weighs 3.05Kg and I would like
to remind you that the 600mm DO f/4 prototype introduced about 2 years ago weighted 3.2Kg!

So they must be able to go significantly lower than 3.05Kg for a 600 DO III to offer something useful.

Or they could move the center of gravity of the lens closer to the rear which would make the camera+lens easier to handle.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Sorry canon but that would suck, we want EF DO big whites. Or worst case make them and deliver for both.

Just wondering if you have indeed contacted Canon thru their website or other means and let them know. You do understand that this site has no connection with Canon, I hope.

If people really want to let Canon know their opinion, they can. This is not the place. I wonder how many folks here actually contact Canon with their complaints. It would be interesting to know.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

Attachments

• 600-comparison.jpg
    600-comparison.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Not sure how I feel, I'm all in on EF at this point and I would like to see the EF 600 DO. I doubt I could afford/justify a new 600 of any flavor anyway. My wife and I only spent $7000 to get engaged and married, I think she'd be a little miffed if I spent more on a lens then I spent on her. If this is for the R then I don't have to think about it which makes my life easier.

My only hope is that when/if it comes it will lower the price of used EF 600s, either the II or III. Hope I can snag an EF for cheap from one of those young whippersnappers that have more money to burn than I, and more time, and love to invest in new technologies.

Upvote 0
Thankfully I have no need for supertelephotos (in fact I recently bought a cheap used 300 2.8L IS and am selling it after a few months because I don't need it). However if I did want a long lens there is almost no question I would sell my Canon gear and get the new Nikon 500 f5.6 PF. I think Canon is really going to have a hard time competing with that (and the previous 300 f4 PF).

Upvote 0
I own a 600 f4 v2 and a 300 2.8v2, the new offerings give me nothing that I don’t already have, if a 600do comes out those of us with version 2’s and 3’s of the telephotos will not be rushing out to get rid of or replace our gear. Sure a couple pounds lighter might be nice, but put yourself on a diet and you just shaved a few pounds off. It always fascinates me when people talk about weight of a lens and camera and talk about a few pounds being heavy. I mean are you really that weak or just that much of a bourgeoisie ? I know we all love tech but guess what, tech doesn’t always matter, a t5i and a 100-400 in the right hands will yield better results that a 1d and a 600 in the rookies hands. Yes this is a bit of a negative rant which a few will read but, at the end of the day I and many professionals will not be trading out our 1ds for a long time. If camera history has taught us anything the first few cycles of new bodies are not worth purchasing. I’ll take a heavier and more ergonomic friendly 1d series of that trash eosr with a ring on a lens and no joystick and one turn wheel and a apple Touch Bar and some goofy button layout any day. I love canon and I have given them lots of money and there are many DSLR users like me that will use the DSLR setup for many years to come. DSLR death will not be fast, and why replace what is near perfection. End of my rant

Yes I’m a fat American, and in my seventh decade, the transport weight of the lens is secondary to the ability to move the lens to follow say birds in flight the inertia as well as the shoulder height holding. I’m guessing that you are young and hale. Reassess your lens preferences after a knee replacement a couple of broken arms and shoulder surgery, bourgeoisie or not, time takes its toll. A 500ii with a 1.4 extender at f 5.6 is in a different class than a 100-400, which with a 1.4ext starts at f8.
Maybe the DO production is the bottleneck and an EF vs R fork cannot be supported simultaneously.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
no. i want them in RF mount. Smaller, lighter, good IQ. And "mirrorfree all the way."

EF = dinosaurs, soon extinct.

Because, you know, reducing the FFD makes super telephoto lenses WAY WAY smaller and lighter, and vastly improves theirimage quality. You know, like how all Sony FE telephoto lenses are way smaller, lighter, and render way better image quality than EF telephoto lenses.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Just wondering if you have indeed contacted Canon thru their website or other means and let them know. You do understand that this site has no connection with Canon, I hope.

If people really want to let Canon know their opinion, they can. This is not the place. I wonder how many folks here actually contact Canon with their complaints. It would be interesting to know.
I suspect that ultimately, this will be a game of dollars.

If Canon keeps selling DSLRs to their pro sports crowd photographers and that group doesn't transition to mirrorless, or if RF supertelephotos simply don't sell well, Canon will release fewer super telephotos in RF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Because, you know, reducing the FFD makes super telephoto lenses WAY WAY smaller and lighter, and vastly improves theirimage quality. You know, like how all Sony FE telephoto lenses are way smaller, lighter, and render way better image quality than EF telephoto lenses.:ROFLMAO:

no. We know that size of long tele lenses is not dependent on FFD 20 vs. 44mm. It is just that EF is dead. New glass will be RF. Mirrorslapping is finally coming to an end now.

I like. :)

Upvote 0