Flagship EOS R camera coming in February ahead of CP+? [CR1]

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The split between high res cameras and the rest isn't just about FPS. Lower megapixel count also allows for better low-light performance, ala the A7s.
I'd prefer it to be 'lower' MP for this reason - but the latest rumours seem to point to a high MP next iteration. Most of the new lenses seem to be designed with a high MP sensor in mind, so its really not a surprise. And if so, cue immediate arguments about why they would want to release parallel 5DS/R mkii and FFM versions of such a niche high MP body?

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Exactly. Canon and everyone else shouldn't need to keep their high res and high FPS cameras split up any longer. And sooner or later someone like Sony will deliver on what the Canon 1D-C hinted at, which is one day being able to pull our full-res, 30+ MP RAW stills out of short 24-30fps video bursts.

Once 8K video takes hold, 32 MP stills at 60 FPS. Storage will be a challenge as will be find the one frame out of many to select. That is a problem I welcome

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Where's the joy in pulling 30+ MP Raw stills out of 24-30 FPS Video bursts?
That's not going to lead to good photography.
I think some people think technology improvements will eventually allow them take a good photograph.
They don't seem to realise with practice and learning you can already take a good photograph with what you have.

Data storage is already starting to be a pain in the butt.
This year for the first time I'm over 2TB of photos in a year.
I'm overloaded with external hard drives collected over the year (high risk of issues at some point - same for SSD)
The 5DSR raw files are huge and frankly not worth it.
4K video is real pain too to do anything proper with. I can't image what type of laptop I'd need to be dealing with 8K.

I think they should be focussing more on high ISO performance and reduce the MPs to 24MP's or lower.
The MP race may not be over but the benefits are minimal (unless you want to hugely crop your photographs - which if you need to do you should learn how to take a proper photograph or use your legs more)
ISO has come a long way in few years but even better performance would be really useful.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
The MP race may not be over but the benefits are minimal (unless you want to hugely crop your photographs - which if you need to do you should learn how to take a proper photograph or use your legs more)

Well, if you're taking photos at, for example, of birds or aircraft in flight the leg movement isn't going to help!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I think some people think technology improvements will eventually allow them take a good photograph.
They don't seem to realise with practice and learning you can already take a good photograph with what you have.

I'm overloaded with external hard drives collected over the year (high risk of issues at some point - same for SSD)
4K video is real pain too to do anything proper with. I can't image what type of laptop I'd need to be dealing with 8K.

I think they should be focussing more on high ISO performance and reduce the MPs to 24MP's or lower.
ISO has come a long way in few years but even better performance would be really useful.
You know there is this thing called bird photography where your smart suggestions about learning how to take a proper photograph or use the legs more do not apply. There is a limit to how big a telephoto can someone buy and/or handle.

EDIT: And I just saw that jolyonralph had already replied to this 3 minutes before my post :)

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
<snip>

<snip>

Well, if you're working with 4K and higher video, you likely need to look at something more along the lines of a workstation rather than a laptop.

You need more beef than a laptop can generally offer, especially if you start getting into effects, rendering things....color grading and correcting, etc...that stuff eats up a LOT of GPU/CPU and RAM that you're not going to be able to squeeze into a laptop.

I've been doing it (only up to 1080p) on a MBP that was loaded when I got it late 2011...maxed with 16GB ram, external thunderbolt work and cache drives, and replaced onboard drive with SSD....and it is looking VERY long in the tooth.

I've been bogging it down with large photoshop jobs even, no motion, but multiple images for large panos or HDR or stacking....and newer work flows allowing layers and all with RAW workflow.....well, let's just say I'm saving my pennies for more of a real desktop workstation for heavy work like that.

For working on the road a little the laptops (or even the iPad pro with Affinity Photo on it) prove to be very useful to keep doing some work when away from the desktop mothership, but for heavy lifting, you're likely needing to look to invest in some sort of fairly beefy desktop.

4K video and up? That take some muscle....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Once 8K video takes hold, 32 MP stills at 60 FPS. Storage will be a challenge as will be find the one frame out of many to select. That is a problem I welcome
Well, once 8K video takes hold many will say that Canon that supports only 4K is doomed and that they prefer Sony and did I say Canon is doomed? :D:D:D:D:D

Upvote 0

The camera would do something like what Apple is doing with the new Xs phones: Display the image that represents the moment you took the shot but keep the pre- and post-recorded burst around it. All optional, of course, so no need to lose any "joy" if you don't wish to.

Storage is always a PITA. But there's no reason to think they would stop you from using a lower-resolution burst (SRAW perhaps). I do think they should give you the option to record the video burst as actual video or as individual image frames.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

I was taking pictures of the Andromeda galaxy last night. I tried to get closer by standing on a ladder, but it didn't seem to make a difference.....

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Well, once 8K video takes hold many will say that Canon that supports only 4K is doomed and that they prefer Sony and did I say Canon is doomed? :D:D:D:D:D

Canon is not doomed. It still suffers from the problems it had with the 1D M3. Before this camera, they were very aggressive with technology, eye controlled focus, DO, .. after that they have been much more conservative (too conservative if you ask me). But as a market leader they need to be conservative to preserve the market share. But also a market leader they need to defend against the *perception* that other companies, such a Nikon and Sony, are more innovative.

They are in a non-win position

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Interesting point seeing as I do a fair bit of bird photography myself. I've never found high MP a substitute to using field craft to get closer to the subject when photographing birds. Closer is always way better. A flash extender can be pretty helpful too at times.
You know there is this thing called bird photography where your smart suggestions about learning how to take a proper photograph or use the legs more do not apply. There is a limit to how big a telephoto can someone buy and/or handle.

EDIT: And I just saw that jolyonralph had already replied to this 3 minutes before my post :)
st

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Interesting point seeing as I do a fair bit of bird photography myself. I've never found high MP a substitute to using field craft to get closer to the subject when photographing birds. Closer is always way better. A flash extender can be pretty helpful too at times.
st
I agree that there is no substitute for fieldcraft... most of the time...

Unfortunately, sometimes your target is way up a tree, or on the other side of a creek or pond....

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
st
Well last time I checked a flash extender does not bring birds closer.:D

Seriously now stating the obvious maybe but even better is closer with many Mpixels. But the best case scenario is not always possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT IN EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT IN EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!

Well, no he is not! I´m sorry but no! Because he is missing the most important thing, not everybody has his needs, not everybody makes photography or video like he does...And even so, there are solutions!

Well, let´s start for the video. If you are using a laptop and external drives to edit 4k video, then you are not a videographer. Maybe someone that like video and sometimes makes some fancy videos to put on youtube. If you need 4k and if you make videos professionally (and saying professionally is like earning money, not about quality), then you´ll need a lot more equipment. You´ll need a powerfull PC (I work with 2), you´ll need some raid sistems, or a powerfull worksatiton to storage your data and to be able to work your data. Working with 4k videos from an external drive is a potencial risk to ruin your drive. Also, if you work with a laptop and external hard drive...well....that´s not a suitable solution for 4k video editing. Unless you have a powerfull macbook pro, but even so, it´s not the most suitable...
Saying that, i do understand your words about video and storage....but not everybody has that opinion or needs...

About photography.....well this one i really understand less...He´s complaining about how hard is to storage photos, and how "heavy" are the 5ds photos? Did i get it right?? Well, this is like buying a Ferrary and then complaining how much it consumes in fuel....This type of cameras have specific uses. 50MP photos are NOT the kind of photos you want if you are going to the park making 400 photos of your dog jumping to catch a ball...But ok, you can use it for everything. If you don´t need or you think the 50MP are a lot to you, it´s so simple....just use lower resolutions!!!! You can do it in you options! But by all means, DO NOT say that 50MP´s are a lot and they are not needed in photography!! Maybe yes, it is too much for the dog photos, but for a lot of things, yes, you do need MP´s.

So don´t get me wrong, i am not trying to criticize..but i think we are talking of 2 different types of photography and video...a more amateur use and a professional use. And it´s ok to be amateur, but by all means, do not buy professional cameras and then criticize it because of the storage or if 4k video is hard to edit...That´s just not right!!

Regarding to the topic, I do believe Canon will make both cameras, one with higher MP, and a "fast camera". I think the first to come is the high MP´s pretty much because the lenses you have available. Doesn´t make much sense to me, launching a fast camera, when you don´t have a 70-200 RF, 100-400 RF, or the big ones (there are rumours of a 600mm DO for RF sistem, but only in 2020.....) So according to lenses, it would make a lot of sense to launch first the high mp. (Sony make that mistake with the A9, but eve so, they have launched the 70-200 and the 100-400 at the same time....)

Looking forward to see what´s next of Canon, the EOS R was a good surprise, but I am waiting a pro body to see if i leave my A7R3 and get back to Canon sistem 100%. Would love to have a A7r3 equvalent to work with the 1dx mkII.

Cheers

Upvote 0