Nov 12, 2016
Do we have a thread for EOS R bugs yet? A couple things I've found so far...

In image review, choosing magnify to actual size based on your selected AF point just flat out doesn't work. It always magnifies to the center of the photo, regardless of where your AF point was. This is a little frustrating. I was using singe point AF.

The camera got a little glitchy on me when using the 50mm f1.0L lens with the control ring EF adapter. Yeah, ok, it's a rare lens, but it shouldn't cause the camera to glitch out. At one point, it would not move the focus point to somewhere else on the screen when I tapped a spot on the screen, this was when using the screen as a live view shooting mode. Then, when I raised the camera to my eye, the EVF only showed the scene in front of me. All of the info that should have been overlaid on the scene in the EVF was not there. Turning the camera off then back on seemed to resolve this.

Nov 12, 2016
When the zoom didn’t work to the selected AF point, were you using the screen or VF?
Screen. I also tried turning on the "display selected AF point" feature. That works, so the camera certainly seems to know where the selected AF point is, it just can't seem to manage to zoom in on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Screen. I also tried turning on the "display selected AF point" feature. That works, so the camera certainly seems to know where the selected AF point is, it just can't seem to manage to zoom in on it.
Is it the same with the VF?

I hope this is addressed as this is how I use review also, and I’m losing my mind when I have to use cameras where I can only zoom to the center and trying to scroll around and find where focus is, it just isn’t the way to check focus...

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Yes, works the same when reviewing photos in the EVF.

I have little doubt that Canon will fix this in a firmware update since the menu selection specifically specifies that it will magnify to the selected AF point, which it simply doesn't do.

Indeed! Curious to see if it’s like this with every body or not, mine will arrive on Tuesday, so I will add my experience here(y)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
To O/P, I'd like to follow the evaluations/complaints/praises of the R to become better educated in case a purchase is in my future and would like to suggest keeping this to one thread rather than a new thread for every nuance. I know this is a tall order given there is freedom to post whatever, whenever but I hope it is possible.

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I was kind of torn on whether or not to start multiple threads or not, but ultimately, we don't discuss every aspect of any other camera in just one single thread, so why would the EOS R be any different? Seems like it would be more confusing if every single nuance of the camera were crammed into one massive 50 page thread.

I did at least want to start one thread related to legitimate bugs with the camera, things that just plain don't work right, as the other things are more of just "how does this work?" And hopefully there aren't a whole lot of actual bugs.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Mine came today, I wasn't able to do much with it, and now have been going thru the settings to see the effects of ones
I did not understand from my 5DIV.

Although it seems pretty good and easy to operate, the real story will only become apparent after using it more extensively. For example, some of the settings are buried in the menu and if I don't use them often, it will be difficult to find them.

I've tried autofocus, servo, and manual focus with peaking and guided AF, both worked well with my 24-70 II. I have a older ultrawide Tokina lens out in my studio that I may try tomorrow and see how well it handles. I also have various old fully manual lenses from most camera makes with EF adapters, so I'll mount them to the EF ring to see how well they work. Realistically, I'll never use them, just play.

As far as ergonomics, my hand feels better on my 5D MK IV, but with use that may change. The camera does fit better than my SL-2. My thumb is going to be touching the control bar, so its still disabled for now.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
FINALLY got mine just now also(y)

And yes, the “zoom inn actual point and 100%” absolutely simply doesn’t work, how can that get past QC?

And I’m bummed that IS is always on, that’ll wear out both the IS unit and the batteries. I would like it to only activate with AF-ON pressed (along with AF function).

Right off the bat I get perfect focus anywhere in the frame, my 1dx2 could never get critical focus like this:cool:

Upvote 0