Two Canon EOS R series bodies coming in 2019 [CR2]

In my opinion, price could be a lot lower. Gone is the complex mirror, exposure, AF, pentaprism which cost $$$ to manufacture, to assemble, and to maintain. Its all done by the processor now, at little or no change in cost. Canon could make a $1200 or $1400 price point easily. They will want to hit competition hard, because there are a ton of buyers who buy from big box stores and decide based on brand name and price. For that matter, they could sell the R for a lot less but they match the competition price for now.
...except you added a very expensive viewfinder and more cpu/electronics/ram to do everything you need to do with no mirror. Prisms were not super cheap, but not nearly as much as the electronics can be. And now all of this has to be placed in a smaller body with tighter clearances.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Sony A7III owners, for sure.
The old adage saying that a camera is just a box to hang lenses on is still true to some extent. A lens gives you the most bang for your dollar. A good lens can last thru a lifetime of camera bodies, and is what makes or breaks the IQ of a photo.

As far as the content and market value of a photo, the photographer is still 90+ % of the equation. Content is still king.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The big question, to me, is what the rumor source means by "professional."

Canon very strictly refers only to its 1-series bodies and L lenses as "professional". If Canon calls it professional, then it will most likely be a 1-series. If someone else is calling it professional -- but Canon isn't -- then it's probably 5D series (or similar) camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
That is an interesting rumour.

I guess I had it in my mind that they would gradually mirror their DSLR offerings in the mirrorless realm (pun intended). When the R was released at the 6D II price point but with a 5D IV sensor, I was really at a loss as to where it fit in the lineup, but eventually landed on I feeling that price was the best indicator of what Canon thought of the offering. If a camera is released below the R, then I just don't know where that would fit - that could be a new lowest price point for full frame in the Canon realm, unless it isn't full frame.

I wonder if that camera isn't below the R in the lineup but rather a low-resolution video-centric camera like the a7S series? That could make some sense.

Sure, releasing a model above the R makes sense - the market has shown that buyers are willing to pay more than $3k for a do-it-all body, or $6k for a sports camera. I'd be shocked if Canon decided to not go after those buyers. With that said, I am really curious about whether or not they'd try to make a 1Dxii comparable R series camera right away - it seems like a gamble with a potential opportunity/risk. If Canon pushes it out for the olympics that auto focus has got to be ready to handle that type of shooting.

Again, If they release a 5DS/SR equivalent mirrorless, I'd sure have a good hard look at it.

I guess we'll learn more soon!
Except EOS R does not have a 5DMkIV sensor but a worse one:

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?threads/so-the-banding-is-back.35892/

Upvote 0
Sure, and there have to be others (like me) who've been shooting on Rebel and 7D-class cameras for the last few years, patiently waiting to make the jump to a pro body. What's held me back from buying a pro DSLR, as well as finally shooting FF, is the prospect of a pro Canon mirrorless.

Will 2019 yield a true 5DIV successor? I hope so. I'm certainly already salivating.

And that is something we have in common! :p

I've been waiting for a full-frame body with articulating screen and at least 5DIV/80D generation sensor with equivalent FPS as my 70D.

We're just not as big a market segment as all the Rebel shooters who are happy as clams with their kit lenses...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Seeing that the R somewhat straddles the traditional 5D and 6D lines, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it remains a technology testbed like the original non-numbered M, and future R bodies include a "6R" and "5R" (or R6 and R5?) that correspond pretty well with the DSLR lines. I really don't see a Rebel-level full-frame R at this point, but I might be wrong. Anyway, if I had to guess, the lower-end R is likely to have:
  • A bit smaller, lighter, polycarbonate body
  • A single DIGIC
  • Crop 4K?
  • Somewhat reduced controls and customization
And the higher-end one:
  • The magnesium body of the R
  • Improved, 5D-level weather sealing
  • Dual processors
  • Full FPS with Servo AF
  • Full or slightly cropped 4K?
  • Perhaps reduced resolution to improve readout?
  • Return of a traditional joystick?
Several of the higher-end bulletpoints depend on Canon improving readout speeds quite a bit.

At least one of the bodies will likely have a builtin GPS.

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
[QUOTE=".... i rather have a great APS-C than a stripped down FF camera.
and what about lenses?
for a cheapish FF camera you need lenses to go with it.
who buys a 2000+ euro lens for a 1600-1700 euro camera?......[/QUOTE]

Actually I think that FF will be next race. APS-C is great when size of body and lenses matters.
Being the happy owner of a 6D - an upgrade from a 400D, I almost got no better camera features, except for better ergonomics.
But damn - growing up with 35mm film SLR, and 35mm film compact cameras it was so great to be back with 35mm/FF sensor.
So I think there is a great marked for a entry level FF in a more compact body than a 6DmkII. An the term "less (features) is more" - could very well be a new trend as well.
But the of course we need some more (non-L) RF prime lenses to go with it, a 50mm f/1.8 or 1.4 and a 35mm f/2.0 for a start.

I would also guess that the High-End model will be a sports camera - but time will show.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
[QUOTE=".... i rather have a great APS-C than a stripped down FF camera.
and what about lenses?
for a cheapish FF camera you need lenses to go with it.
who buys a 2000+ euro lens for a 1600-1700 euro camera?......

Actually I think that FF will be next race. APS-C is great when size of body and lenses matters.
Being the happy owner of a 6D - an upgrade from a 400D, I almost got no better camera features, except for better ergonomics.
But damn - growing up with 35mm film SLR, and 35mm film compact cameras it was so great to be back with 35mm/FF sensor.
So I think there is a great marked for a entry level FF in a more compact body than a 6DmkII. An the term "less (features) is more" - could very well be a new trend as well.
But the of course we need some more (non-L) RF prime lenses to go with it, a 50mm f/1.8 or 1.4 and a 35mm f/2.0 for a start.

I would also guess that the High-End model will be a sports camera - but time will show.[/QUOTE]
How about an RF 35mm f1.8 IS with an adapter to handle an EF 50mm f1.8? You can get that now, or in a few weeks when the RF 35mm hits the shelves.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I'd love to own a higher end R... the existing one is close, but so far a miss for me. ... sadly I don't think my pocketbook could go beyond the R's cost at this time :-/ .. really hoping their 'firmware' update improves some things, but sadly I think some of the bottlenecks are in hardware.

While it doesn't interest me as much a lower end R probably would appeal to people getting into exchangable lens cameras for the first time.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Actually. This makes a LOT of sense from a marketing standpoint IF there is no upgrade path from apsc to FF as there currently in with the line of DSLR's(ie the ability to buy a lower priced body, spend a few years putting the high quality lens collection together and then upgrading to FF. A cheaper EOSR would be set at a low enough price to attract the new hobbyist who wants a 'real' camera and who will then likely continue spending money down the line with Canon. I could see a 24mp sensor but lacking things like the eye AF, less AF points, no top LCD, only 1080p video, maybe a slightly smaller body with less buttons, maybe slightly less weather sealed etc. 1500bucks to get into FF would be very tempting for many.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Canon needs 2 bodies to match or exceed the A9 and A7R3, soon. With Canon, it is always next year. Meanwhile, the competition is raising the bar.
That's what everyone always says but it simply isn't true. Few serious photographers would ever buy an A9 over a 1dx or d5. So canon will i troduce their 'flagship' model when it suits them. They have already outdone sony with the eos r for anyone that understands what they are getting. The mount alone makes a Sony second rate let alone the glass that canon has and will produce for the new system. I shouldn't need to mention ergonomics but obviously sonys are s#@t and canons are great. The other details make little difference unless you spend all you time watching youtube videos instead of taking photos.the only camera they are not currently matching is the A7r3 and that wont be far away.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0