EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II and EF 500mm f/4L IS II to receive updates in mid to late 2019 [CR2]

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
I do think that if they could do some major weight savings and move the TC switch to the other side (like Nikon's version) that could be a worthwhile update. I owned the 200-400 for many years and to be honest never really thought about which side the TC switch should be on but after seeing Nikon's implementation and thinking about it, I agree that having the switch on the right side is better for ergonomics especially while handholding but even on support as you can always keep your left hand out on the lens for stability and support. I'd also love to see dual 1.4TCs built in for the full on 1.4 or 2.0 (via 2x1.4) but not if that kept the weight up...would rather have a big weight reduction, move the switch and otherwise keep it the same.

Dual 1.4 would be nice, so would a 1.7. In the 300-600 range I would like to see, a built in 1.2 and 1.4 so combined they would give 1.7. But if optical quality was preserved

Upvote 0
There are more considerations than just the weight which will not make a 500II obsolete....for starters the price difference is not insignificant, especial when you can buy mint used copies of the 500II for around the $6.5K USD mark now and used 600III copies will be a long ways off and not discounted much if someone does have buyer's remorse in the first few months of getting one. That is half the price of a 600III. I would not invest in a brand new 500II at this point though...that is for sure....so I guess in that respect the 500II sales may die off. The next big consideration is that the size of the lens for agility handholding and packing and shooting from a blind/car is significantly better with the 500 size vs the 600 size. I own the Canon 600II and the Nikon 500E FL and there is a big difference in the size if we ignore the weight.

Wow, a second-hand 500 II is cheaper than a brand new 600 III, thanks for that I'd have never have thought that possible. let's stick to valid comparisons. You act like people in this area of the market are scratching to make a living. If you are really breaking the bank to get one of these you really should look at other alternatives. The price differential of the 600II and 500II had little effect on people's purchases, it was size, weight and reach. Size is still an issue for the 600III, weight is no longer an issue and for travel in a lot of planes, it's only the weight that matters. You can get light bags that'll carry the 600mm lenses. Also, if size is an issue get the 400 III and sue the 1.4x TC III, gives you a 560 f/4 much shorter than the 500 II. The 600II is very popular for pixel challenged cameras like the 1DX and 1DXII and a more popular choice. 600III would be even more popular now. Alas, Canon don't make a high MP 1 series to make the 500II more viable. I got the 500II because I had the 1D4 and then 5D4/5DsR to make up for the loss of reach but none of them have the AF of the 1DXII.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The 600mm f/4 II is popular among CR members and there are some great shots in the bird threads to prove it. Indeed, there are far fewer shots from 500s. But, in my many and regular birding shoots I see many 500mm f/4 and have never seen a 600mm f/4. So, is CR atypical of buyers? I wonder what the relative sales are of 500 vs 600mm are?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I don't think we'll see a 28-300L replacement. Or if we do it won't be an L lens. Full-frame superzooms are universally disappointing optically - there are always compromises to be made. And as modern sensors require better and better lenses these old monsters are not really adequate any more.

Even the 24-105 is barely adequate (and totally inadequate on the 5DSR) so we have to accept as we get better sensors we can't have these nice simple superzooms that we could in the past.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Wow, a second-hand 500 II is cheaper than a brand new 600 III, thanks for that I'd have never have thought that possible. let's stick to valid comparisons. You act like people in this area of the market are scratching to make a living. If you are really breaking the bank to get one of these you really should look at other alternatives. The price differential of the 600II and 500II had little effect on people's purchases, it was size, weight and reach. Size is still an issue for the 600III, weight is no longer an issue and for travel in a lot of planes, it's only the weight that matters. You can get light bags that'll carry the 600mm lenses. Also, if size is an issue get the 400 III and sue the 1.4x TC III, gives you a 560 f/4 much shorter than the 500 II. The 600II is very popular for pixel challenged cameras like the 1DX and 1DXII and a more popular choice. 600III would be even more popular now. Alas, Canon don't make a high MP 1 series to make the 500II more viable. I got the 500II because I had the 1D4 and then 5D4/5DsR to make up for the loss of reach but none of them have the AF of the 1DXII.
Have you tested the lenghts before declaring a combination much shorter?
400mm 2.8 III: 34.3cm
1.4III 2.7cm
Total 37cm

500mm 4L IS II 38.3 cm

Is 1.3cm difference much shorter?

I agree with the rest of the comments.

Upvote 0
I don't think we'll see a 28-300L replacement. Or if we do it won't be an L lens. Full-frame superzooms are universally disappointing optically - there are always compromises to be made. And as modern sensors require better and better lenses these old monsters are not really adequate any more.

Even the 24-105 is barely adequate (and totally inadequate on the 5DSR) so we have to accept as we get better sensors we can't have these nice simple superzooms that we could in the past.

Of course these superzooms have to make a big compromise concerning image quality, but I think with more modern lenses the sharpness could be a lot better. I just think canon isn't interested in updating this lens :-( as far as I remember they had even two new parents for a 28-600 L lens two years ago

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
There is a chance that Canon would release a superzoom on the RF mount - where they can get away with f/6.3 at the long end. Additionally the RF mount allows for very much better in-camera profile correction of images from such a lens.

But I still doubt if they did it they would put a red ring on it.

Upvote 0