DPreview Article: "Greater freedom: Canon's engineers talk about the EOS R project"

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
They say that they got rid of the mode dial as a plus for video. I find the mode dial exceptionally useful for rapidly switching between C1, C2, C3, M and A where I have major settings stored. How do you do this on the EOS R?
You push the mode button (on the right) and then turn the dial. The exposure mode is displayed on the top LCD (and viewfinder or LCD panel)

I don't like it, compared to the traditional mode dial.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You push the mode button (on the right) and then turn the dial. The exposure mode is displayed on the top LCD (and viewfinder or LCD panel)

I don't like it, compared to the traditional mode dial.
With my 5DIV and SR I don't have to look but just click through by memory while composing my shot. Can you do that easily on the R?

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
They say that they got rid of the mode dial as a plus for video. I find the mode dial exceptionally useful for rapidly switching between C1, C2, C3, M and A where I have major settings stored. How do you do this on the EOS R?

Ah, so they did make adjustments for video users. Interesting.

Anyway, on the R, the M Fn button can be customized to quickly cycle between your current mode and the three custom modes you have programmed. Found this out a couple days ago when I was messing around with a store model...indeed, nice. Could be even quicker than using a mode dial in some instances since you don’t even need to take your hand off the lens or eye from the VF. Still wish the R had one though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Ah, so they did make adjustments for video users. Interesting.

Anyway, on the R, the M Fn button can be customized to quickly cycle between your current mode and the three custom modes you have programmed. Found this out a couple days ago when I was messing around with a store model...indeed, nice. Could be even quicker than using a mode dial in some instances since you don’t even need to take your hand off the lens or eye from the VF. Still wish the R had one though.
Thanks form the info that the modes are in the evf.

Upvote 0