Two Canon EOS R series bodies coming in 2019 [CR2]

May 11, 2017
that's exactly what i expect. EOS "R6", 24MP standard DP-AF sensor, nerfed-down pseudo-4k, USD/€ 1500.

if it comes in a smaller form factor than EOS R, but without sacrificing LP-E6N power pack, I am interested.

and if it comes at € 999 i'll pre-order. :)
If they really want to cheap out, they could get rid of the articulated screen too. They would have to keep at least some of the touch screen capability because it is a key part of the control system.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I want FF because its better in low light and has better DOF opportunities. I'm happy with cheaper lenses, even EF adapted lenses. So YES PLEASE - a FF below the EOS R.
I want Mirrorless for silent shooting and potentially faster fps and and wider/faster lenses.

And i can still desire the latest L lenses - e.g. 28-70 F2

Unless you are happy with no change in focus between frames, you're not going to get frame rates faster than the 7D Mark II anytime soon in an R body, certainly not a low end one.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The 1Dx M2 has live view which I believes will AF/Track at 16 FPS. Though agree that 1Dx M group will be cautious. especially since the body will be over $6,000. Though Canon may be introduce a something between 5D and 1Dx to test the waters and get people use to ML.

The 1D X Mark II does not track subjects at 16 fps. The initial focus distance of the first frame is maintained for the entire burst. If you want to track the subject, you must use the viewfinder and max out at 14 fps.

The big issue with tracking moving subjects at even 14 fps with an ML camera is that the sensor has to do dual duty: take the picture *and* track the subject. With a mirror slapper, you have dedicated sensors for each, which takes the pressure off the slower readout capability of Canon's sensors.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
In speaking the truth, I know Canon very well based their past history.
Canon will phase out all EF lenses because they want to start with RF lenses to make a real windfall profitable. They did in 1989 when Canon phased out FD/FDn lenses very quickly and forced photographers to use EF lenses with higher prices. Now, RF lenses are more expensive. It is a good time to protest against Canon for their unprofessional and greedy behavior. Do not buy Canon R series and any RF lenses then they will clean up their business behavior by customers.
What are you talking about? Professionals make money. Making more money by way of new and improved products is highly professional. They are in a competitive marketplace where you make money or you disappear. Greed has nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
The 1D X Mark II does not track subjects at 16 fps. The initial focus distance of the first frame is maintained for the entire burst. If you want to track the subject, you must use the viewfinder and max out at 14 fps.

The big issue with tracking moving subjects at even 14 fps with an ML camera is that the sensor has to do dual duty: take the picture *and* track the subject. With a mirror slapper, you have dedicated sensors for each, which takes the pressure off the slower readout capability of Canon's sensors.

I have noticed that tracking at high FPS is difficult. Perhaps the camera of the future needs two sensors - one to capture the image and the other track the subject. Not sure how it would work - just a wild idea

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I think in general having a cheap crappy model drives users to spending extra and buying the mid range one which is the most profitable version.
You also tend to have a really expensive model that's hard to justify buying to make the mid range one look like the best bang for your buck.
Canon anyway will be trying to drive EOS-R lens.
There will be alot of news ones in the future covering the existing EF ranges like 70-200, 100mm macro, 300/400/500/600 etc
I'd expect they'll be similar quality lens adjusted for EOS-R with better coatings and maybe with a bit of weight shaved off.

Besides the odd unicorn I'd don't think we'll see much new innovative EF lens (unless they are already far down the track).
EF will go the way of FD but it will take a while ( I think they will remain desirable especially if they drop in price second hand as they work easily with EOS-R and the quality of some of them will not ever be surpassed by much)

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I think in general having a cheap crappy model drives users to spending extra and buying the mid range one which is the most profitable version.
You also tend to have a really expensive model that's hard to justify buying to make the mid range one look like the best bang for your buck.
Canon anyway will be trying to drive EOS-R lens.
There will be alot of news ones in the future covering the existing EF ranges like 70-200, 100mm macro, 300/400/500/600 etc
I'd expect they'll be similar quality lens adjusted for EOS-R with better coatings and maybe with a bit of weight shaved off.

Besides the odd unicorn I'd don't think we'll see much new innovative EF lens (unless they are already far down the track).
EF will go the way of FD but it will take a while ( I think they will remain desirable especially if they drop in price second hand as they work easily with EOS-R and the quality of some of them will not ever be surpassed by much)
You can use an EF lens on an R camera, but you can't use an R lens on an EF camera. The market for EF lenses will be people with EF cameras and people with R cameras who think that a specific EF lens is a better bang for the buck than the equivalent RF lens or because there is no equivalent RF lens.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
You can use an EF lens on an R camera, but you can't use an R lens on an EF camera. The market for EF lenses will be people with EF cameras and people with R cameras who think that a specific EF lens is a better bang for the buck than the equivalent RF lens or because there is no equivalent RF lens.

I am looking forward to buying an R camera - either the one just released or perhaps the rumored slightly lower end model. At the moment - and perhaps for years to come - the R lenses are, and will be, way too expensive for me. I have already bought a used EF 24-105 non-L lens in anticipation of getting the R. I will be looking closely at other non-L EF lenses. So, long live EF!

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
That's what everyone always says but it simply isn't true. Few serious photographers would ever buy an A9 over a 1dx or d5. So canon will i troduce their 'flagship' model when it suits them. They have already outdone sony with the eos r for anyone that understands what they are getting. The mount alone makes a Sony second rate let alone the glass that canon has and will produce for the new system. I shouldn't need to mention ergonomics but obviously sonys are s#@t and canons are great. The other details make little difference unless you spend all you time watching youtube videos instead of taking photos.the only camera they are not currently matching is the A7r3 and that wont be far away.
Sony now has the largest market share in the full frame market.....not just mirrorless but also DSLRs. But surely "no serious " photographers are making the switch to Sony. Canon needs to move quickly.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a NO-Frills FF-R, Something minimalist using Leica M10 design principles. I don't need/want IBIS, Auto Focus, Video or High Frame Rate. A built-in flash, for fill, would be good. A Canon adapter to use LTM lenses from Canon/Leica rangefinder cameras would be great. While I'm dreaming, how about a choice of either a 28mm f/2.0 or 43mm f/2.0 non-IS Kit Prime.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Sony now has the largest market share in the full frame market.....not just mirrorless but also DSLRs. But surely "no serious " photographers are making the switch to Sony. Canon needs to move quickly.

Canon needs to move quickly...or what?

Does the fact that Sony sells more FF cameras impact you in any way?

Just wondering....

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018

Actually a lot of other cameras use EF mount and this will make it alive for a while at least. RED, EVA1, UMP, JVC, etc

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I have noticed that tracking at high FPS is difficult. Perhaps the camera of the future needs two sensors - one to capture the image and the other track the subject. Not sure how it would work - just a wild idea
We already have two sensors just as you describe - An imagaing sensor and autofocus sensor, and a mirror to switch between them. The system of the future :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0