Test your EOS R with Flash, the cause of green banding!

Dec 13, 2010
I don't have an R, so I can't try to replicate your experience.

I'm just curious though. If you are right, is this likely something that could be corrected with a firmware update?

I’m not sure, if it’s interference due to radio signal that might or might not be possible to rectify with firmware.

I’m very curious to find out if this concerns all R’s or if not, which triggers/flash can actually be used.... one thing that’s certain is that it just can’t stay this way...

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
If I raise the RAW files I get banding. Nothing to do with the flash. But yeah, there's definitely banding if I take a black image and raise it 5 stops - something I've never, ever done before.

I used a Canon ex600RT and a Godox v860Cii to test. I tested without anything in the hotshoe, with the flash in hotshoe, but turned off, with the flash on, with flash below x-synce, and with the flash above x-sync.

The only way I can get green banding is is I have 'Silent LV Shoot.' set to 'Mode 1'

Otherwise, I just get the banding Tony (something-internet-guy) blogged about.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Can you supply more info? What flash are you using, is it a RT? I have a R, but no R/T flash. Radio interference can indeed cause issues, I recall some 3rd party units causing issues in the past (not banding).

The reason I didn’t state my lamp and trigger is because I’m sure it’s not only that one, Tony uses profoto doesn’t he?

I used a very simple “eBay”-trigger” and it was less banding than my Broncolor (Godox hardware).

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
If I raise the RAW files I get banding. Nothing to do with the flash. But yeah, there's definitely banding if I take a black image and raise it 5 stops - something I've never, ever done before.

I used a Canon ex600RT and a Godox v860Cii to test. I tested without anything in the hotshoe, with the flash in hotshoe, but turned off, with the flash on, with flash below x-synce, and with the flash above x-sync.

The only way I can get green banding is is I have 'Silent LV Shoot.' set to 'Mode 1'

Otherwise, I just get the banding Tony (something-internet-guy) blogged about.

That’s very interesting, I see no banding without flash. But with the trigger in the hot shoe I get it at 1,65 stops or a bit of shadow lift.

It did not help for me to disable silent shutter and not using mode 1, it’s same no matter.

What I meant with a “dark shot” is a shot that’s not completely black, but intentionally dark, but usable, to give a realistic starting point for editing.

I get noise when I push 2-3-4-5 stops, and wouldn’t use that for anything, but with flash used, I can barley touch the file before I see the banding.

I’m also wondering about my sensor, I seem to get motion blur like behavior no matter what the shutter speed is and with still subjects... they look fantastic at 200% in camera, but in my computer nothing looks really sharp and most just look like a cellphone shot. Haven’t had the time to do any testing and honestly felt like everything got perfect so took a whole bunch of shots before downloading Lr and try to edit them. Lots of noise at iso 320 also... I’ll try to have a go at proper testing later today, but hard to find the time...

Upvote 0
I tested with godox XPro transmitter and a Godox TT685c flash, and did not notice similar banding to yours (though there is banding). Both images below are raised +4 exposure in lightroom. Shots taken with 1/4 sec at f / 8.0 ISO 100. Is this setup comparable enough for you Viggo? Don't know if the red background is somehow hiding it...?

Canon EOS R flash test plus 4 exp with cat - 01.jpgCanon EOS R flash test plus 4 exp with cat - 02.jpg

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I got my EOS R today. I tried a few shots when covering the lens with my hand, at ISO 100. At 5 stops + in Lightroom, I couldnt see any banding without flash attached, with a flash attached, or with a st-r3 trigger attached. Note that the flash wasn’t in master mode.
Thanks for posting (y)

I will try and get my hands on a Canon flash and give it a go..

Upvote 0
I tested with godox XPro transmitter and a Godox TT685c flash, and did not notice similar banding to yours (though there is banding). Both images below are raised +4 exposure in lightroom. Shots taken with 1/4 sec at f / 8.0 ISO 100. Is this setup comparable enough for you Viggo? Don't know if the red background is somehow hiding it...?
I got similar result in a similar experiment. Pushed a 200 ISO image with high contrast to 3.5 stop and +100% shadows in Lightroom. Both show green banding in shadow area, that should be normal, but no significant difference between with and without flash (Canon 470EX).

Upvote 0