Show your Bird Portraits

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Don, a man after my own heart.

I ran underground wiring to my barn shed so I could have an electric heater in my upstairs 6'X7' "observatory". Video monitor to tell me when a bird arrives so I can jump up to my gimbal mounted camera that aims more or less where they tend to perch. Meanwhile I sit in my easy chair and read. But don't tell anyone or they'll disparage my photos!

I should mention that this is more of a Alberta winter activity of necessity!;) I can shoot at -20C but my fingers still freeze.:(

Jack
There is a saying among backcountry travellers: Any fool can be uncomfortable in the woods. I prefer to not suffer for my art......

That said, the forecast here for tonight is -18C and I plan on going outside to try a new autoguider and see if it improves my attempts at Astro Phoptography. It will be cold :(

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Graham, thanks for that. I need to see if they are available in my locale but my son is in London and will be coming home for Chistmas so that might be an option. They are pricey so hopefully good. I did buy a pair of fingerless gloves that were cheap and designed for cold handed people on an office keyboard - gave them to my daughter after extracting the little heater to experiment with. It was not robust and it did not extend to the fingers so kind of useless.

In the mean time I bought a USB battery pack that has a hand warming function so you can grip it in your hand inside a pocket.

Anyway, I will take your lead and investigate further. JUST NOW checked and they are not in the US or Canada. Before proceeding I'd really like some first hand feedback.

Jack

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful shot, Canon-Chas.
0057.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jack.
Sorry, no first hand knowledge, I know people who have the heavy motorcycle gauntlets and like them but not this particular item.

Cheers, Graham.

Graham, thanks for that. I need to see if they are available in my locale but my son is in London and will be coming home for Chistmas so that might be an option. They are pricey so hopefully good. I did buy a pair of fingerless gloves that were cheap and designed for cold handed people on an office keyboard - gave them to my daughter after extracting the little heater to experiment with. It was not robust and it did not extend to the fingers so kind of useless.

In the mean time I bought a USB battery pack that has a hand warming function so you can grip it in your hand inside a pocket.

Anyway, I will take your lead and investigate further. JUST NOW checked and they are not in the US or Canada. Before proceeding I'd really like some first hand feedback.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi Jack.
Sorry, no first hand knowledge, I know people who have the heavy motorcycle gauntlets and like them but not this particular item.

Cheers, Graham.
Thanks, from comments I read they may be a little risky given the cost. I'll hold off. I can visualize a lot of movement that could dislodge/break electrical components if not very carefully designed.

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Today I checked (again...) the molting of "my" Golden Plover (posted photos some time ago) and took some pictures of the commons that were flying around.
After that (with my obsession to get a +/- good shot of the male of the Violet-backed Starling) went to the Zoo - it is next to the park.
First photo is Java Sparrow.
I know, there are not much people to get excited from House Sparrow but it is what it is (the plant on which it is staying is little bit more exotic - Papaya;))!
Last two photos are male and female of the Starling.DSC_2665_DxO_DxO.jpgDSC_2739_DxO_DxO.jpgDSC_2780_DxO_DxO.jpgDSC_2896_DxO-1_DxO.jpgDSC_2924_DxO_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Another nice set ISv! Interesting how much the female starling looks like the thrush (turdus philomelos) I have here in the garden, at least from this low frontal point of view (I posted a thrush picture some time ago)...
W.
Thanks Wiebe! They are really similar from below. Your thrush is about 5cm (23 against 18cm) bigger and there is some difference in the back colors. And at least according my memories from Europe (~16 years ago) the Song Thrush is more photogs-friendly (hmm... actually much more, and I'm talking wild birds!)

Upvote 0