Review: Canon EOS R by DPReview

The new RF 50 1.2 doesn't though, nor does the new RF 28-70 f/2.
Holy cow. For the life of me I thought they did and in my mind I just chalked it up to "they make more on lenses that way".

I know the last few newly released primes on ef did, like the new 85mm 1/4 or the fact that they didn't release unstabilized 70-200 f2.8/f4 lenses.

Who knows, maybe there will be a ibis sensor in the future then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am an 80d shooter of kids action sports. I know the R is not yet in my future as I like having the faster fps, and I haven't sprung for a 7dMkII because the 80d seems good enough. I would use ibis if I could because in fall and indoors I tend to fall back on ef-s 85mm because of light levels.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Mine replaced an EOS 5DIII and did it rather well. I am quite happy with it. It uses all of my existing lenses very effectively which the A7III and the Z6 will not do.

I'm looking at the EOSR.....I too have a 5D3...still working great, but I"m looking to move it to 2nd camera in the near future....so, I'm quite interested in hearing your opinions....where does it excel on the 5D, where is it equal and does it do anything less than the 5D3?

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

Upvote 0
I'm looking at the EOSR.....I too have a 5D3...still working great, but I"m looking to move it to 2nd camera in the near future....so, I'm quite interested in hearing your opinions....where does it excel on the 5D, where is it equal and does it do anything less than the 5D3?

Thank you in advance,

cayenne
Well, first the easy stuff: it is a bit lighter and a bit smaller but not by a lot. The grip is the same so for me who also shoots an M5, this was refreshing because the M5 is a bit small into hold comfortably.

The AF is as good (or maybe a bit better) in single shot mode (which is what I use most often). A lot more AF coverage (covers the whole frame). It is harder on batteries so you might want to pick up an extra one. Image quality is about the same but you will notice a bit more crispness in the shots because of the additional resolution. The menu system is about the same but the controls will take a bit of getting used to -- I didn't find that to bad but I also have the M5 so I was used to the touch screen. All in all the camera is quite easy and fun to use, once you get the hang of it.

Upvote 0
Holy cow. For the life of me I thought they did and in my mind I just chalked it up to "they make more on lenses that way".

The two RF lenses referred to are especially wide aperture for their respective categories (standard prime and standard zoom). Until IBIS became the buzzword recently, people accepted/understood that wider aperture meant you could use faster shutter speeds/lower ISO because they could let in more light. Naturally every extra stop helps, whether aperture, stabilisation, or cleaner high ISO, but a lot of people seem to have forgotten that wide aperture only started going hand in hand with optical stabilisation very recently (either via IBIS or ILIS on lenses like the EF 85L f/1.4). While I don't doubt there are valid use cases for it (no flash/no tripod dim interiors - events, museums, parties, etc) I think the importance of IBIS in wide aperture, wide-standard angle lenses has been overstated by spec sheet fanatics.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think the review was fair. Overall, I didn't really expect this camera to receive glowing reviews as it does lag behind the competition (quite substantially in a few areas). The review states that since most modern cameras are competent in capturing photos/videos, it becomes more about comparing how it takes those photos/videos that makes the most sense to compare against. Although many die-hard still shooters do not necessarily agree with current review methodologies, video acquisition is a large component of mainstream reviews become it is a feature that has become as ubiquitous as rear-view cameras. I think this is one area where the EOS R takes the biggest hit.

To be honest, this is Canon's first "real" foray into FF MILC at a prosumer level. As I mentioned before, I feel existing Canon shooters would be better served sticking with their current EF investment until Canon turns around a real EOS R flagship next year which would really allow RF lenses to shine in both stills and video.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
It is not only ergonomics.
Anti-Canon stance at dpreview is obvious, but low score well deserved in this case.
I'm not sure that's true. I think it's just the case that other brands have been releasing more compelling products over the past few years. The 5DIV, 6DII, M50 and EOS R have all had major drawbacks when compared with similarly priced cameras. All are okay cameras but the lack of features for the price is something that can't be ignored. The 5DIV is D850/A7RIII money, the 6DII is A7III money and so on. Again, okay cameras but definitely not competitive.

Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
EOS M50 had and has zero drawbacks compared to any other 500 €/$ camera on this planet. Quite the opposite. it bests its only direct competitor - Fuji XT100 - nicely. it is a more capable camera than EOS M5 at a lower price. Not to mention Sony A6500 at absurd prices way beyond a grand or puny, dwarf-sensored mFT Oly somethings. That's why M50 is such a resounding success for Canon. No decent black friday deals on M50 or EF-M 18-150. :cry:

EOS 6D II at MSRP is a total turd. That's why it is available now as Black Friday overstocked firesale deal for $ 949 including battery grip and various other Canon stuff/printer.

5D IV is ok-ish, but too high priced for only marginal improvements/ advantages over 5D 3. That's why only limited number of people are upgrading/buying it. and hesitation to buy yet another mirrorslapper iteration, when new mirrorfree EOS R system has finally arrived.

facts, quite evident. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Well, first the easy stuff: it is a bit lighter and a bit smaller but not by a lot. The grip is the same so for me who also shoots an M5, this was refreshing because the M5 is a bit small into hold comfortably.

The AF is as good (or maybe a bit better) in single shot mode (which is what I use most often). A lot more AF coverage (covers the whole frame). It is harder on batteries so you might want to pick up an extra one. Image quality is about the same but you will notice a bit more crispness in the shots because of the additional resolution. The menu system is about the same but the controls will take a bit of getting used to -- I didn't find that to bad but I also have the M5 so I was used to the touch screen. All in all the camera is quite easy and fun to use, once you get the hang of it.
Ok thank you!!

Hmm...I need to research it more...and maybe see if I can find somewhere to physically hold one....
I had read something about having to go through a menu system to change things like ISO, rather than just be able to hit buttons on the outside and quickly change things like ISO, white balance, etc like on my 5D3.

Hmm...can you quickly change shutter speed and aperture with external controls (wheels) like you can with the 5D3?

If not, I'm guessing this wouldn't work with me and one of the things I really like is NOT having to stop, go through the menu system for basic changes like this....

Again, I know...need to research this a bit more.....

C

Upvote 0
I'm not sure that's true. I think it's just the case that other brands have been releasing more compelling products over the past few years. The 5DIV, 6DII, M50 and EOS R have all had major drawbacks when compared with similarly priced cameras. All are okay cameras but the lack of features for the price is something that can't be ignored. The 5DIV is D850/A7RIII money, the 6DII is A7III money and so on. Again, okay cameras but definitely not competitive.

While I agree the 5dIV does not compare well to the D850, and 6DII was just a mistake, please share how the M50 and R are inferior to their competition, while also naming their competition. I've done a lot of research on these cameras, and watched too many videos and read too many reviews, but I say each has as many if not more advantages as disadvantages over the competition......in the real world most of all.

Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
While I agree the 5dIV does not compare well to the D850, and 6DII was just a mistake, please share how the M50 and R are inferior to their competition, while also naming their competition. I've done a lot of research on these cameras, and watched too many videos and read too many reviews, but I say each has as many if not more advantages as disadvantages over the competition......in the real world most of all.

EOS R as camera (not as system) is inferior to Nikon Z6. Not by much, but still.
M50 rulez supreme over any other ILC south of 1 grand.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Ok thank you!!

Hmm...I need to research it more...and maybe see if I can find somewhere to physically hold one....
I had read something about having to go through a menu system to change things like ISO, rather than just be able to hit buttons on the outside and quickly change things like ISO, white balance, etc like on my 5D3.

Hmm...can you quickly change shutter speed and aperture with external controls (wheels) like you can with the 5D3?

If not, I'm guessing this wouldn't work with me and one of the things I really like is NOT having to stop, go through the menu system for basic changes like this....

C
I think you are going to have to try it to see whether you are comfortable with the touchscreen interface. I love it.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
As you are repeating again and again your same post in several threads I am going to repeat my month old post, too:
"Basically, EOS R can take comparable or a little better still pictures than 5D4. Has much better video spec than 5D4. Is smaller, lighter than 5D4 and has silent shutter. Doesn't need lens calibration. Comes with some interesting and innovative lenses. Can accurately focus in low and back-lit situations. Has a few interesting perks such as control ring, CPL/ND adapters and can shoot with both EF and EF-S lenses."
All the points are still true after a month of using the EOS-R camera and it is absolutely fun to shoot with it.
This reminds me so much of the 6D2. The spec warriors panned it, yet everyone who bought one loved it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I just don't see 1 stop as a big deal when high ISO's are handled so well (not specific to this camera) as compared to film, and if they are, your application is demanding enough to rent or buy a better lens with 3 - 5 stops of IS improvement for the job.
Again, it was only pitched as an example, the real world improvement should be at least 3 stops. And again, those nice (or cheap and cheerful) lenses that don't come with IS should not be dismissed because of this.
After they do come out with sensor-based stabilisation and other improvements, the value of the first ones will go down the drain.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
For stills, specs are fine. I'm not a video shooter, but I can see why there is some bashing about the 1.8x 4k crop--if people were unhappy three years ago about the crop on the 5D IV, naturally most consumers expect technological advances in a new release, especially an otherwise groundbreaking product.

It was the ergonomics as reported in early hands-on reports that kept me from buying this. I haven't read a single positive comment in any review about that multi-function bar or strip. As for selecting AF points, I'm glad that some users here are happy with the touch-screen controls, but I'm hoping for better on the next RF release.

This clearly wasn't designed as a primary camera for professional photographers, so it's a bit unfair to review it as if it were.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Ok thank you!!

C
The UI is definitely different. For ISO, WB, and others, you press the M-Fn button above the shutter release. This brings up a series of options on the top display that can be selected using the "Mode Dial" once you have selected the one you want (ISO for example), you adjust that with the front dial (behind the shutter release on the top of the camera). Alternatively, you press the "Q" button on the back of the camera and change these things from the touch screen.

The Mode dial and the front dial work Aperture and Shutter Speed when in manual (for example). In Av the front dial works Aperture, in Tv it works SS.

The thing works like you would expect (once you get used to it). You can also assign things like ISO to the front ring on the RF lenses or to the ring on the adapter so you have another dial to work with.

Find one and play with it -- is the best thing. Most camera stores have them by now if you are near a dealer.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
EOS M50 had and has zero drawbacks compared to any other 500 €/$ camera on this planet. Quite the opposite. it bests its only direct competitor - Fuji XT100 - nicely. it is a more capable camera than EOS M5 at a lower price. Not to mention Sony A6500 at absurd prices way beyond a grand or puny, dwarf-sensored mFT Oly somethings. That's why M50 is such a resounding success for Canon. No decent black friday deals on M50 or EF-M 18-150. :cry:

EOS 6D II at MSRP is a total turd. That's why it is available now as Black Friday overstocked firesale deal for $ 949 including battery grip and various other Canon stuff/printer.

5D IV is ok-ish, but too high priced for only marginal improvements/ advantages over 5D 3. That's why only limited number of people are upgrading/buying it. and hesitation to buy yet another mirrorslapper iteration, when new mirrorfree EOS R system has finally arrived.

facts, quite evident. :)
How is the M50 a more capable camera than the M5 (just curious)? I don't own an M50 but do own an M5 which I have done a lot of good work with.

Upvote 0