Is Canon Refurbished Worth the Price?

Rockskipper

Somewhere skipping rocks and taking photos
Apr 20, 2017
I'm looking into buying a refurbished camera (a 6dM2) direct from Canon, and I'm seeing that the refurbished prices are only a few hundred less than new. I would like to put that extra savings towards a new lens, but since I don't have a lot of money, I also want to be sure my camera isn't going to be a regretful purchase and will last a long time (would prefer a 5dM4 but don't have the cash). I've looked here for threads on this and have seen a few comments that seem to indicate refurbished is a good bargain, but I would like to hear more from those of you who went this way. Would I be smart to go ahead and buy new? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've bought several refurbished bodies and lenses from Canon and I've never had a problem. I think most of them are just stock that Canon can't sell as "new" for one reason or another. Neither of the two bodies that I bought showed any shutter actuations although I guess they could reset that. The lens appeared to be no different than new stock either. You don't get the original box which might effect resale. The prices don't seem to be as much of a bargain as they used to be but if they had something I wanted for a good enough discount I'd do it again. Check around though because there are some good deals to be had from retailers this time of year. I haven't paid MAP on anything from Canon in a while.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I currently own two DSLR cameras, both are Canon 5D4, and both were bought from Canon Refurbished site. As stated above they are new cameras as far as I can tell so I would not hesitate to buy from them. The only real difference (at least in my case) is it does not come in the official 5D4 box. Instead it comes in a generic brown box designed for a Powershot camera or similar and has a sticker on one side with the name 5D4 and the serial number. All other parts (battery, charger, manual, cables) are included. So unless you really want a pretty box with the camera photo on it, refurbished is a great way to go.

Upvote 0

Rockskipper

Apr 20, 2017
EOS 6D Mark II Body Refurbished
$1,099.20
was $1,599.20

EOS 5D Mark IV Body Refurbished
$2,699.20
was $2,799.20

Quite a diff, but I would get the 5D if I could. I think the bad reviews have really impacted the price of the 6DM2, as it was around 2k when it came out, IIRC. This works in my favor, as I'm an enthusiast and have a lot to learn before I would outgrow the 6DM2. And as for the box, I usually end up without them, as I spend most of my time in my small RV and things get recycled frequently from space concerns.

Upvote 0
I have had great success with several Canon refurbished lens purchases. I like that individual product has been tested versus only batch sample testing of 'new' product. Monitor CPW to know pricing trends and watch for sales. As to boxes, I just recently sold quite a bit of gear to KEH - most had boxes. KEH told me that the value of keeping the boxes has diminished significantly in recent years. Having a box may add a small amount of value for a private sale, but is given no value when KEH purchases. They just throw them away. I'm not totally convinced and still have a closet full of empties. After all, if something needs to be sent in for repair there is nothing better than the original packaging.

Upvote 0
I've bought bodies and lenses refurbished and with warranties matching retail products, what is the risk? You don't get retail boxes, but I've never had an issue selling them on Ebay when I'm swapping gear. I've purchased a 7DII, non L lenses and L lenses (including a big white), and it's been a great alternate source. Like Mt. Spokane Photography stated, compare the prices. The deals are better when they go on sale.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
For lenses at least, when there is a sale I would say yes. Not quite brand new, but definitely superior to used/secondhand market. You *might* have a speck or two of internal dust but externally, it’s in excellent condition. Only issue is after tax, the savings over buying new may not be that significant...again, unless there is a sale or promo. It tends to make more sense for the priciest lenses; that’s how I picked up my 11-24 and 16-35 2.8. The former was just over $2k after sale and tax which I could stomach. No way was I ever going to pay $3K for a new one...

No experience with bodies. Do refurbished bodies typically arrive with clean sensors?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I've bought refurbished and I've bought new. No difference in quality in my experience. Sometimes refurbished are a great bargain, especially is Canon happens to be running a 10-15% sale or other special. Sometimes the Canon Price Watch street prices or dealer bundles are a better deal, depending on the promotions at the time.

You mentioned the 5DIV refurbished price: $2,699. Compare that to an after-rebate price of $2,575 for a CPW street price bundle with printer and grip. Of course, you have to deal with the hassle of the rebate and a white elephant printer that you don't want. (I've still got cash left on one of those rebate cards from more than a year ago because so few stores honor the cards).

My point is: consider more than just the sales price -- what value do you place on owning a brand new, factory packaged lens or body? If there is a rebate attached to the new purchase, consider the "hassle" factor. If there are freebies, do you want them or do you want to deal with the hassle of selling them on eBay?

Upvote 0

Rockskipper

Apr 20, 2017
Since I basically live in my 4x4 RV most of the time, I really don't want anything but the camera, and even the box requires finding a place for storage. I really appreciate the feedback and am ready to place my order for a refurbished 6DM2 - it will suit me well, as I'm just a hobbyist. Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0