5 axis IBIS coming to next Canon EOS R series camera [CR2]

Curious ... do you know if IBIS can be enabled and disabled in a camera body? I don't own an IBIS body, but was wondering if it's an always-on feature.
For certain both Olympus and Panasonic have multiple IBIS modes including OFF. In m43 world Olympus is considered the leader in IBIS with Panasonic not far behind and potentially benefitting from their 'partnership.' IBIS is critical for Vloggers - current generation effectively eliminates need for tripod or gimble. Sony invested in Olympus several years back supposedly in part to get access to Olympus IBIS technology, although implementing it with larger sensor is more challenging. Earlier IBIS iterations could, in rare conditions, drift to one side until the sensor was against the stops. It would then 'jump' back to center and restart stabilizing. This resulted in some noticing 'jitter' with IBIS. Current generations have corrected that and are remarkably stable. Users report success at 5 - 10 sec. hand held shots at moderate focal lengths.

Having the ability for precise positional control of the sensor can then lead to other features like Pentax's astrotracking or the high resolution modes on Panasonic and Olympus.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If I understand IS correctly, current in-lens IS is for pan and tilt (angular movement, equivalent to yaw and pitch) only. 5 axis IBIS also includes roll (rotation), X and Y. Simplest implementation is to add roll/X/Y to already stabilised lens and turn on 5 axis for non-IS lens. Best of both worlds!

As newer in-lens IS is ~4 stops, it is hard to imagine IBIS pitch/yaw to be better when combined unless there is some seriously clever electro-mechanical work done although Panasonic (Dual IS) and Olympus (Sync IS) claim to have done it (and Sony is "Jittery"?)

Would it be 4 axis stabilised if panning mode is used?

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
I'm all for it. I find the arguments against it amusing as always.

Do we need it? no.. does it it bring value, yes!

You could say similar things about autofocus, tracking, dynamic range, live view, digital zoom in live view, tilty screens, high mega pixel etc etc.. people were able to take pics before all of these... so not needed. Do they help, heck yes. Especially those of us that like taking pics of objects in low light (wildlife, kids, bands etc)

I can tell you from a looong history with digital cameras (yes used ones with floppies in them) that each improvement does bring value and had its neighsayers. Many of those same people are converts now.. don't like the features? great, there is a pretty extensive used camera market you can get older cameras without those features for cheap!

I'm not sure i'd call kids or bands slow moving. Wildlife might be sleeping i guess...

IBIS is theoretically most useful for handheld video. But Sony's implementation isnt very good. The question is whether its a FF issue or a Sony issue. Panasonic's m4/3 version works well, but they chose not to include it in the GH5s because it increases noise and is of little use to professionals who'll be using a tripod or gimbal 95% of the time.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I'm not sure i'd call kids or bands slow moving. Wildlife might be sleeping i guess...

IBIS is theoretically most useful for handheld video. But Sony's implementation isnt very good. The question is whether its a FF issue or a Sony issue. Panasonic's m4/3 version works well, but they chose not to include it in the GH5s because it increases noise and is of little use to professionals who'll be using a tripod or gimbal 95% of the time.

The subject moving is part of the equation.. I also tend to move to track and then suddenly stop to take the picture, even a small increase in stability is useful. Yes Gimballs would be more useful, but they're bulky,large and heavy for SLRs. Something small and discreet is more useful for the locations I tend to use in.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
After having a chance to play with the MASSIVE RF28-70 yesterday, it became even more abundantly clear why the omission of IBIS is bizarre. Trying to hold that gigantic glass and metal, newborn child in your hands for more than a few minutes made it tricky to get a completely steady shot. It makes zero sense to me to offer that lens without IS (especially at that price point) if there is no IBIS body in the works. I'm happy to hear this rumor and hope it becomes a reality sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
With recent news of Canon's partnering with GoPro, is this a tacit admission they cannot get IBIS working as hoped and will go for a souped-up stabilisation as in their video cameras (tracking the moving frame around the sensor)?
No.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
my expectations are:
* IBIS will not be in next up "entry level R"

* it will be in both pro level R bodies ... hi-rez model ("5D V")and hi-speed body ("1DX-III")

* IS plus IBIS will only work at in parallel with RF (IS) lenses - due to high speed data comm requirements

* with adapted EF (IS) lenses only 1 system will be active at any time. maybe user-selectable which one.

makes sense commercially and technically. :)
With respect to IBIS with EF and communications data, I don't think so, simply because adapted EF lenses work with IBIS on Sony bodies with and without ILIS.

Not that it is anything spectacular, at least for stills, but it is does work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Give me better eye AF, IBIS, and a faster frame rate and I'm sold.

I think that's plausible. They may not have the best eyeAF, IBIS, but at least give us usable feature parity.

I hope they don't wait too long to give us the basic and trickle feed us over a couple different camera generation

I think Panasonic and Sony will give those features as the minimum along some extra features - 16 bit sensor, 5.6 million dot EVF, animal eyeAF, 4K 60P, etc.

Upvote 0
I'm all for it. I find the arguments against it amusing as always.

Do we need it? no.. does it it bring value, yes!

You could say similar things about autofocus, tracking, dynamic range, live view, digital zoom in live view, tilty screens, high mega pixel etc etc.. people were able to take pics before all of these... so not needed. Do they help, heck yes. Especially those of us that like taking pics of objects in low light (wildlife, kids, bands etc)

I can tell you from a looong history with digital cameras (yes used ones with floppies in them) that each improvement does bring value and had its neighsayers. Many of those same people are converts now.. don't like the features? great, there is a pretty extensive used camera market you can get older cameras without those features for c
Well, I can't speak for others, but I'm just an enthusiast, and most of my photos are of my family, and at a guess, about half are indoors in all sorts of locations.

There is *no way* they are going wait for me to set up and then pose in front of a tripod, but if I whip out a camera then they are normally good for a picture or two.

I've got a number of Sigma Art prime lenses which have fantastic resolution but no IS.

So, for me at least, this should DRAMATICALLY improve the quality of about 50% of all my pictures by way of serious noise reduction.

Its enough to convince me to buy the camera ...

Here’s the thing: you’ll have less noise, but the slower shutter speed will add blur unless your subjects, your family, stay completely still. I know mine doesn’t, so shutter speed trumps IBIS. Although I won’t argue against adding it, as long as there’s no downside.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
IBIS would be nice. Great, even.
But I'd like to see a bit more megapixels and DR on par with D850.
Or else I switch to S...

I always wonder why people feel the need to threaten switching brands like anyone cares. And why would you move to “S” while noting the 850? Why not switch to “N”? Either way, enjoy whichever letter you choose. I’ll tell “C” you left.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Curious ... do you know if IBIS can be enabled and disabled in a camera body? I don't own an IBIS body, but was wondering if it's an always-on feature.
In Fuji XH1 it is always engaged and cannot be switched off.
in Panasonic GH5 it is controlled by the IS switch on the lens and you don't know whether the lens IS or IBIS or both are engaged and there is no way to select either or both. Only if the lens is not stabilized, there is an extra option in the "video" menu to turn stabilization on/off. It also has an IS lock option for video only when you hold the camera steady (i.e. no panning or moving, but effective for handheld steady video work).
Both GH5 and XH1 cameras with IBIS on, have problem distinguishing camera shake from panning as camera tries to hold to the image it sees and then decides not to, so it jumps. Therefore, you see some annoying jumping effect. Furthermore, for effective use of IBIS in both cameras you need to set the focal length manually for each lens you use, therefore eliminates effective use of zoom lenses.
Both GH5 and XH1 cameras with IBIS on, are fine in ordinary light condition for up to about 1/20 sec shutter speed with non-stabilized lenses. But both cameras have problem in low light. Shots that could be otherwise taken in low light without IBIS appear to be quite blurry with IBIS on.
I sold GH5 and exchanged XH1 for XT2 (only to have effective silent shutter mode) and never missed either cameras. Of course technology gets better and better over time, but it is not the golden super effective tech to drool.

Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
Can they just do a super beefed up stills version without these expensive additions and video that I never use.

that's exactly the market demand all brands are either overlooking or consciously ignoring: "pure stills, no video recording".

that said, i do want IBIS in Canon EOS R, especially when Canon launches RF lenses without IS and some decent, existing EF lenses without IS are adaptable.

Of course any IS system (in-lens and in-camera) has to be user-switchable on/off at any time, as desired. Not difficult to implement. Canon IS lenses (EF and RF) all have a hardware IS mode switch (including OFF) and IBIS just takes 1 ON/OFF menu entry in firmware. no big deal, really.

$/€ 2300 price point for current nerfed EOS R body ("mirrorfree 6D III") looks more ludicrous by the day. get ready for major "cash-back" activity come January. Early "full price adopters" excluded of course. :)

Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
Would just be another thing for me to remember to switch off.

Can they just do a super beefed up stills version without these expensive additions and video that I never use.
IBIS can be useful for stills and it’s probably not gonna hurt you if you leave it on. But your choice, I know in some occasions it doesn’t work as good as it should but since Canon’s low light is very bad compared to competitors, at least I can use IBIS to compensate

Upvote 0
I always wonder why people feel the need to threaten switching brands like anyone cares. And why would you move to “S” while noting the 850? Why not switch to “N”? Either way, enjoy whichever letter you choose. I’ll tell “C” you left.

Well I was trolling a little bit. Of course I realise nobody cares if I switch to Sony or not. In fact right now there's no point in switching for me. Only when I feel I need to upgrade and Canon fails to deliver a good replacement for my 5DIV for landscapes, I'll be thinking of switching.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
If I understand IS correctly, current in-lens IS is for pan and tilt (angular movement, equivalent to yaw and pitch) only. 5 axis IBIS also includes roll (rotation), X and Y.

Canon's Hybrid IS also includes X and Y, but this is only significant at close focusing distances which is why it has so far only been included in the 100L Macro, 24-70/4L IS (0.7x macro capability) and now the RF 35/1.8 IS Macro.

That just leaves roll, which can't be corrected optically, but I think it's fair to say this is the least important axis of all.

Upvote 0