Canon EOS R body with more than 75mp on the horizon [CR2]

mk0x55

[5DsR]
Nov 16, 2018
My biggest problem? I'm in need of a new body sooner rather than later. I don't know that I can wait for Canon to slowly come out with new tech. I've got a 5D Mark 3, and a 1DX (Mark 1). I've had my main board and my sensor replaced on the 5D3, and then recently had it modified by Spencer's. I've rented a 5DsR a couple of times and was pleased once I corrected technique issues, but I've been hoping/holding out for an updated version. I don't know that I'll be able to wait long enough and that bums me out. I wasn't impressed with the 5Dmk4 over my mk3 when I rented it, but I loved the huge leap in megapixels the 5DsR had over my 5D3. I wasn't seeing huge DR gains with what I shot on the 5Mk4 vs the 5DsR, so while it may be there, the type of shots I take don't necessarily show it.
Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm too quite pleased with the 5DsR overall (although its DR is over 1EV less than 5D4 as far as I could see), I just can't expect the level of shadow cleanness that comes out of modern Nikon and Sony cameras.

Also, the greatest asset from all my photo gear are my EF lenses. That pretty much locks me down to either Canon or Sony. Canon has great lenses and the closest contender to me would be Fujifilm. Switching to Fujifilm however (GFX-cameras if anything), would mean buying a completely new, expensive, system with few native lenses, and not really being able to reuse any of my current lenses. Even if I could try to adapt some, I don't expect the output to be really good - both due to vignetting, since my lenses are designed for 35mm sensors (not MF crop), as well as other optical performance degradation due to incompatibility.

So I resort to patience - mainly thank to not having an urgent need of upgrading. :)

If you need to upgrade, there shall be used 5DsR bodies for second hand prices - probably worth taking a look if you liked its output.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
My biggest problem? I'm in need of a new body sooner rather than later. I don't know that I can wait for Canon to slowly come out with new tech. I've got a 5D Mark 3, and a 1DX (Mark 1). I've had my main board and my sensor replaced on the 5D3, and then recently had it modified by Spencer's. I've rented a 5DsR a couple of times and was pleased once I corrected technique issues, but I've been hoping/holding out for an updated version. I don't know that I'll be able to wait long enough and that bums me out. I wasn't impressed with the 5Dmk4 over my mk3 when I rented it, but I loved the huge leap in megapixels the 5DsR had over my 5D3. I wasn't seeing huge DR gains with what I shot on the 5Mk4 vs the 5DsR, so while it may be there, the type of shots I take don't necessarily show it.

I have a 5d4, and the difference between it and the 5d3 in terms of much less shadow noise and basically no banding is very noticeable in high DR landscapes. Other things, not that big of a deal. I just would like a 5dsr2, mirror or no mirror, with that level of DR and 40-50 MP and a tilt flip screen so I can put it on the ground without new adventures in neck pain.

Upvote 0
"...

---

Actually, I think your issue is NOT a BRAND NEW body but rather, I think you need BETTER LENSES!

In my personal opinion, getting a NEW or USED 5DsR is fine! What I WOULD DO HOWEVER, is take a SERIOUS LOOK at getting a new 50mm, 85 and/or 135 prime lens!
If you can swing the cash, the Zeiss Otus series are SHARPEST from corner to corner and that means nice looking CLEANER photos than other lenses! If you CANNOT spend the $5500+ per OTUS lens, I would take a serious look at the Sigma Art Series 50/85/135 lenses for sharpness! Test them IN-STORE before you pay for them though!
You need a Lens resolution chart which you print out at 2400 dpi on GLOSSY PHOTOPAPER on your home Canon/Epson printer and test EVERY Sigma lens you want to buy using that lens resolution chart!

If you're willing to get an adapter, I've heard that the NEW Canon F/1.2 50mm just introduced for the NEW Canon Mirrorless R-series is one of the best lenses ever made! Once the R-series mount to EF adapter comes out for it, such a large lens will give you incredible resolution on that 5DsR especially when you stop it down to F2! It's $2300 US at B&H so go get something like that or the Sigma Art Series if you DO get your own 5DsR camera in the next two or three months!

Upvote 0

mk0x55

[5DsR]
Nov 16, 2018
"...

---

Actually, I think your issue is NOT a BRAND NEW body but rather, I think you need BETTER LENSES!

In my personal opinion, getting a NEW or USED 5DsR is fine! What I WOULD DO HOWEVER, is take a SERIOUS LOOK at getting a new 50mm, 85 and/or 135 prime lens!
If you can swing the cash, the Zeiss Otus series are SHARPEST from corner to corner and that means nice looking CLEANER photos than other lenses! If you CANNOT spend the $5500+ per OTUS lens, I would take a serious look at the Sigma Art Series 50/85/135 lenses for sharpness! Test them IN-STORE before you pay for them though!
You need a Lens resolution chart which you print out at 2400 dpi on GLOSSY PHOTOPAPER on your home Canon/Epson printer and test EVERY Sigma lens you want to buy using that lens resolution chart!

If you're willing to get an adapter, I've heard that the NEW Canon F/1.2 50mm just introduced for the NEW Canon Mirrorless R-series is one of the best lenses ever made! Once the R-series mount to EF adapter comes out for it, such a large lens will give you incredible resolution on that 5DsR especially when you stop it down to F2! It's $2300 US at B&H so go get something like that or the Sigma Art Series if you DO get your own 5DsR camera in the next two or three months!
Talking about Zeiss lenses, the Otuses are very expensive ($ ~4k for lens). What you could also consider is Zeiss' Milvus line. Unlike Otus, it is actually weather sealed, so if you go out and shoot in bad weather, you don't have to worry so much.
I recently bought the Zeiss Milvus 135 (around $ 2k) and have to say that it is an Otus in all but its name and flaring when shooting toward a strong light source like the Sun that is within the frame (Otuses handle that flawlessly and this is the only thing in which the Milvus appears to be inferior - unless of course you like that effect, because you can turn that to the good in portraiture and other shots). As far as sharpness is concerned, the Otus 85mm and Milvus 135mm perform the same. Corner to corner, optical perfection. The bokeh and overall rendering is amazing. Haven't seen this level of optical quality from any other lens so far. Plus the Milvus is weather sealed, as said.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
"...

You may be waiting a very very very long time to see an adapter to fit an R lens onto a 5DS R.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

mk0x55

[5DsR]
Nov 16, 2018
You may be waiting a very very very long time to see an adapter to fit an R lens onto a 5DS R.
Purely technically it shouldn't be impossible, however, it would take some optics in the adapter (2 or more precisely crafted elements). It would be both expensive and necessarily also degrade the optical quality of the lens-adapter set, as any additional pieces of glass would do). It could be something like a close-up lens, just mounted on the back and having a slightly different function.

All that said, I don't think it's coming. Once they have a high-MP EOS R camera with even more resolution, better DR and features, the best thing about 5DsR would be to retire it and upgrade. :)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
"...

Hmmm.....I suppose for portraits you won't be requiring infinity focus. Even so I wonder if you're real name is Harry Mudd ;)

Upvote 0
Purely technically it shouldn't be impossible, however, it would take some optics in the adapter (2 or more precisely crafted elements). It would be both expensive and necessarily also degrade the optical quality of the lens-adapter set, as any additional pieces of glass would do). It could be something like a close-up lens, just mounted on the back and having a slightly different function.

All that said, I don't think it's coming. Once they have a high-MP EOS R camera with even more resolution, better DR and features, the best thing about 5DsR would be to retire it and upgrade. :)

---

I do actually agree that an adapter R-to-EF isn't all that practical UNLESS an accessory maker such as Wooden Camera and others like them, MIGHT see some value in offering a $275 to $350 adapter for Canon 5D's, 1D's and even the M50 to allow users to take advantage of that MASSIVE image circle which will result in corner-to-corner ULTRA SHARP images on those cameras! I would suggest using a HIGH REFRACTIVE INDEX Acrylic plastic elements (YES! Plastic!) for the focal plane adjustments. The effect on optical quality will be negligible because Acrylic can be made much more optically transparent than glass! It would also REDUCE the price to allow the adapter to be profitably sold for around $275 to $350 U.S. (210 to 280 Euros).

That 50mm F/1.2 Canon R-series lens is so much better than the equivalent EF that the TINY OPTICAL LOSS of an adapter would be made up by the overall larger corner-to-corner image sharpness offered by such a large lens being put on a 5D series! That rather inexpensive $2300 price plus a $375 cost of an adapter for the Canon 50mm F/1.2 would make it worth it. And when Canon brings out the FAST and optically superior 85mm, 135, 200, 400 and 600mm primes for new Canon Mirrorless 5D/1D Pro series cameras THEN everyone can start buying all those used DSLR 1Dx Mk 1 and 2's, 5D Mk 4 and 5DsR's at bargain prices and put on UTTERLY FANTASTIC R-series LENSES on them at pretty much a a bargain price!

Hey Wooden camera! How about it!

Make an R-series-to-EF adapter using Optically-superb Acrylic elements! Give us that option!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Harry forgot to mention (his modesty is well known) he has cleared all the technical hurdles and just such an adapter will be available in late 2017, via his time machine, for people to be ready when the RF lenses hit the market in 2018. The first 100 buyers get free rides in his Bell helicopter to meet the man from Oz, himself. Physics does not encumber Harry. He wrote the laws... he can suspend the laws.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Harry forgot to mention (his modesty is well known) he has cleared all the technical hurdles and just such an adapter will be available in late 2017, via his time machine, for people to be ready when the RF lenses hit the market in 2018. The first 100 buyers get free rides in his Bell helicopter to meet the man from Oz, himself. Physics does not encumber Harry. He wrote the laws... he can suspend the laws.

Are you saying that the F1.2 Medium Format prime lenses that Harry has mentioned being in the works a couple of weeks ago will never come to fruition? Oh no, good Lord! I was saving every single spare dime and penny to buy such a lens! i have got my Canon 400 F2.8 II IS up for sale to fund purchase of the lens. what a disappointment. :eek:

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Are you saying that the F1.2 Medium Format prime lenses that Harry has mentioned being in the works a couple of weeks ago will never come to fruition? Oh no, good Lord! I was saving every single spare dime and penny to buy such a lens! i have got my Canon 400 F2.8 II IS up for sale to fund purchase of the lens. what a disappointment. :eek:
"Prime" in Harry's world = 1-1000mm f/0.95 @ <1 pound... zoom no longer exists. It is called vroom, vroom now, and mounts natively on any camera ever made or that will be made. It doesn't need focus confirmation. Instead, it has composition confirmation derived from algorithms developed from the notes of Michelangelo. Also, the lens is so fast it can track the movement of Chuck Norris. With the profits, Harry will buy the rest of the archipelago his first island belongs to... and Saudi Arabia.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really hope it’s not resolution for the sake of it. When the 5DSR was released I hired it alongside the D810 and always picked up the D810. You got a few less megapixels but the files were much cleaner. Better low light performance, better dynamic range and less noise.

The 5DIV was a step in the right direction and the sensor was much better than the 5DSR. Let’s hope the sensor holds up in areas other than just resolution.

I have both the 5DsR and the mkIV and when the DsR is sized down to 30MP dimensions the noise is superior to the mk IV at 6400. In truth the noise has never been an issue and my architecture clients enlarge some of the images to 8 feet wide.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I have both the 5DsR and the mkIV and when the DsR is sized down to 30MP dimensions the noise is superior to the mk IV at 6400. In truth the noise has never been an issue and my architecture clients enlarge some of the images to 8 feet wide.
What happens when you normalize the other way (i.e., scale the MkIV up to 51MP)?

Upvote 0

---

I'm not the one making those lenses. THOSE were in looooong development WAY BEFORE we ever sold that VAAASTLY SUPERIOR Stills and InterFrame/IntraFrame video codec of ours to the said company! The Powers-That-Be in that company want to make a BIG STATEMENT in Combined Stills/Video camera tchnology. It looks like they succeeded in TRUE LARGE SENSOR FORMAT Stills/Video imaging by a wide margin. What a System! The big boys of stills and video are not only going to surprised at the technology and feature set BUT ALSO UTTERLY SHOCKED AT ITS PRICE !!!

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Make an R-series-to-EF adapter using Optically-superb Acrylic elements! Give us that option!

And how, harry, is an EF mount camera going to control focus or aperture on an RF mount lens? You can't even manually focus the lens without electronic control from the camera.

Don't be so daft. There won't be any adaptors for RF to EF. It's about as likely to hit the market as your magic codec.

Upvote 0
What happens when you normalize the other way (i.e., scale the MkIV up to 51MP)?
I haven't done that but judging from the noise in stretched shadows at high ISO on the mkIV I would expect it actually would fare poorly.
In the real world however, and printing at medium (up to 16x20) and smaller, both cameras would perform well and be indistinguishable from most any other camera.

Upvote 0
And how, harry, is an EF mount camera going to control focus or aperture on an RF mount lens? You can't even manually focus the lens without electronic control from the camera.

Don't be so daft. There won't be any adaptors for RF to EF. It's about as likely to hit the market as your magic codec.

===

I highly doubt Canon itself will make an RF to EF adapter...BUT... I do think someone like Wooden Camera might sell one as a package along with one of their Camera Cages and/or other accessories. In terms of focus and iris, they could put a control ring into the adapter itself for semi-automatic and full-automatic focus and iris control protocols which already have been reverse engineered from a technical point of view by Sigma and others.

The key issue is simply the ASTOUNDING QUALITY of the new Canon RF mount F/1.2 50mm lens! Any accessory manufacturer who can make an RF to EF/EF-S adapter at around $275 to $350 U.S., even IF it uses Acrylic corrective lens elements, WILL sell a bundle of them to all the VLOGGERS and prosumers who've got a ton of Full Frame Canon M50's and 5D's and ASP-C 7D and 6D cameras wanting to extend the lifespan of their cameras with higher end lenses that can TRANSITION to newer RF cameras once their old cameras finally die! This is a market EAGERLY WAITING to be served!

In fact, I expect within 6 months the first of RF-to-EF and RF-to-EF-S adapters to be coming out! Will they have separate control rings for BOTH iris and focus, AND ALSO neutral density filter holders or a turn-dial-form neutral density selector built-in? THEY SHOULD but we shall see what comes out and at what price point! The magic number for willing buyers SEEMS to be between $275 to $350 U.S.

I have to give Canon kudos, no matter what esle is coming out in the near future from others, I do must say that their first set of new lenses are UTTERLY SPECTACULAR and DESERVES every accolade given! So start on the truly high end RF mount 400mm 600mm, 800mm and 1200mm lenses! AND a super fast high end F/3.4-F/5 150mm-to-600mm or so SPORTS ACTION WILDLIFE zoom lens!

Last edited:
Upvote 0