Shooting with the predecessors...What older Canon lenses do you still love?

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
That 35/1.4L has really nice bokeh. I've contemplated switching to the mkII version for aberration control and sharpness but... Bokeh is visible in any magnification, not only giant prints.

Same with the 70-200/2.8L IS: it is plenty sharp enough for my use and I've heard exactly 0 reports of improved bokeh with the mkII and mkIII versions.

Upvote 0
I picked up a 35 1.4 v1 a little over a year ago and it's on my camera a lot. I love the look of that lens and the balance on my 6D.

I have been mostly buying used the past few years, paring down my lesser used lenses. My kit 24-105 v1, a used 17-40, and the 35 are by far my most used lenses. I can't justify the expense of the new versions. I'm not sure that with my moderate skill level I would see that big a difference anyway.

That being said, I love that Canon is always pushing their lens designs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I like that one as well, however there has never been a version 2. That has been the point of my post, originals use as opposed to followups.
It is my newest lens, since I took advantage of the recent refurb sale.

I would agree with the comments about the 50mm f/1.4. However, I got it to use with my T3i and haven’t found use for it now with my 6D2. The 85mm has taken over the role that the 50mm had on my Rebel. I still think it is a fine lens, and if I ever feel the need for using it, I know where it is.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I've done a fair amount of selling to buy when it comes to glass over the past 19 years but the one lens that has stayed in my kit is my first 'L' lens, the 70-200 f/4L. There's nothing wrong with it, it is sharp, great contrast, light and dependable. In fact if I don't need too wide, that and the pancake are a great lightweight two lens combo.

How about anyone else? What oldies but goodies do you use?

I recently picked up the original 70-200 f/4L as well, and I'm very, very impressed. It's now my go-to lens for the beach. Takes great shots of my wife and daughter playing in the sand or in the water, and is surprisingly light.

Upvote 0