Irix 150mm Macro for preorder

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
And at a decent price ...

I had a look at the review above - very impressive build and IQ (allowing for a pre-production lens). The only issue will probably be lack of IS (as compared to eg the older Sigma 150mm), but query how much usefulness IS provides in a macro setting anyway? I'll check out the Australian pricing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
And at a decent price ...

I had a look at the review above - very impressive build and IQ (allowing for a pre-production lens). The only issue will probably be lack of IS (as compared to eg the older Sigma 150mm), but query how much usefulness IS provides in a macro setting anyway? I'll check out the Australian pricing.

I was dubious about IS until I got the Canon 100L. The IS lets me handhold the camera and lens at near 1:1, I was actually quite pleased. I had the Canon 100mm USM macro, it was neigh impossible to hand hold for close photos.

If its tripod mounted, IS is of no use, but I like walking around taking closeup photos of flowers and bugs without disturbing them. Flying insects are a challenge and mostly a matter of luck and a lot of tries.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I was dubious about IS until I got the Canon 100L. The IS lets me handhold the camera and lens at near 1:1, I was actually quite pleased. I had the Canon 100mm USM macro, it was neigh impossible to hand hold for close photos.

If its tripod mounted, IS is of no use, but I like walking around taking closeup photos of flowers and bugs without disturbing them. Flying insects are a challenge and mostly a matter of luck and a lot of tries.
I tend to handhold, so I'm also dubious about investing in something without IS. I was wondering, though, whether a longer lens (like a 150mm dedicated macro) would be less of an issue than the shorter versions, where you have to get physically closer to the subject to fill the sensor? I guess trying it out is the only way to find out.

Upvote 0
I tend to use a tripod, a small handy one. I have the 100L but stopped using it when I got a Milvus 100 because the Milvus is sharper. I sold the Milvus after getting the Sigma 70 Art because the the Sigma is sharper and contrastier and the AF works well for flowers and insects. Now I want a longer lens for lizards, so I ordered this one. And I miss the long throw the Milvus has...

Upvote 0
Hmm, disappointing.

A nice lens, just not sharp. It appears well built and I like the foot. But I already have the Sigma 180 (with AF which works well), so I have no need for this lens.

I wonder when Sigma will produce a 180 Art macro. If they do, I sincerely hope it will not have a fiddly 'focus by wire'.

Upvote 0