New major firmware for the Canon EOS R should arrive soon

I'm not angry at you. Sorry if I seem to be. I just annoy with everyone trying to defend Canon when they still behind. I get post like why do I need better eyeAF when it's working fine for me, etc. You are absolutely right about Sony's ergonomic.

How you do things doesn't matter to me. If technology offered things to make it easier, I'll take advatange of it. Why would I go back to my Canon 6D with focus and recompose when Canon 5D IV is available.

Can I still shoot wedding/kid with single card slot with Canon 6D? Sure I can.

If you think certain feature is overrated then move along. No need to explain to someone who understand the value of certain tech and will take advantage of it. I don't need 4K RAW, log feature, video features, but I don't waste my time convince to someone who may use that feature.

Oh i'm not trying to defend Canon nor do i blame Sony or someone else. I tried almost every camera brand and many models , i actually owned a few nikons. All have their pros and cons - it's just that the ergonomics count the most for me and Canon wins here since a while. And anything else is not really bad on a Canon as well. :) But no reason to defend - i just (like you) be annoyed by those people always come up with something to celebrate Sony (whether its better Eye AF or what else) - the bodies still suck. Anyway have a good day.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Hopefully, the autofocus on the EF100-400 L II is improved. It worked beautifully with my 6D, but often hunts and completely misses with my R.

Its great with mine, even with my 1.4 and 2X TC stacked, I get AF lock on when already focused at a resaonably close range. With one TC, it just snaps to focus.

I do set the focus limiter to keep it from racking from extremely close to infinity, but that's just a matter of setting the equipment correctly.

If your lens is hunting, see if you can try a different one, something is definitely wrong, likely a lens issue, but it could be something in the camera or adapter.

Upvote 0
Oh i'm not trying to defend Canon nor do i blame Sony or someone else. I tried almost every camera brand and many models , i actually owned a few nikons. All have their pros and cons - it's just that the ergonomics count the most for me and Canon wins here since a while. And anything else is not really bad on a Canon as well. :) But no reason to defend - i just (like you) be annoyed by those people always come up with something to celebrate Sony (whether its better Eye AF or what else) - the bodies still suck. Anyway have a good day.

I completely agree Sony's ergonomic definitely a huge turn off. I'm still waiting for them to improve on ergonomic, EVF, fully touch screen LCD. They trailed behind in Canon.
The 1/2-1 stop is meaningless for me since I shoot people and prefer Canon color. Once we talk about adapted lens, Canon EOS R work so much better than Sony camera. That's why I'm waiting for EOS R Pro.

Have a nice day too :)

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
Moving the AF point on the R with the touchscreen is far faster than any joystick.
For me, I would like more customization options on the buttons. The ones they have are not ones I use much but a toggle for exposure simulation would be wonderful.
Also, independent control ring functions dependent on the mode such as exp comp in AV or TV but aperture in M without pressing another button.

Other improvements may occur to me but overall the camera is a real winner for me.

I played around with the R at my local big box. Of course I was stumbling through and none of teenagers were able to help, but I found that dragging the focus point around was pretty slow. I assume there is some way to change the drag speed? I had to keep lifting my thumb.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I played around with the R at my local big box. Of course I was stumbling through and none of teenagers were able to help, but I found that dragging the focus point around was pretty slow. I assume there is some way to change the drag speed? I had to keep lifting my thumb.
You can't specifically change the drag speed, which is my main annoyance with it.

What you can do is set it to "absolute" point selection, and specify only a portion of the touch screen to be active. What that does is it makes only a portion of the touch screen active to select an AF point (say maybe the top right or the lower left.) But then, what happens in "absolute" mode is that the focus point will go to exactly where ever you touch or drag. It makes the point move faster, but it's kind of finicky to use. You can't, as you described, lift your thumb and swipe across the same area to move the point further in the direction you want to go. In "absolute" mode, moving your thumb back and re-swiping along the same area would pull the focus point back to where you landed your thumb, and then move it in the direction you swiped. So lifting your thumb and swiping across the same area multiple times would just move the AF point back and forth over the same part of the frame over and over.

Canon really needs to allow us to adjust the drag speed in relative mode to make this touch and drag AF thing actually work well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
You can't specifically change the drag speed, which is my main annoyance with it.

What you can do is set it to "absolute" point selection, and specify only a portion of the touch screen to be active. What that does is it makes only a portion of the touch screen active to select an AF point (say maybe the top right or the lower left.) But then, what happens in "absolute" mode is that the focus point will go to exactly where ever you touch or drag. It makes the point move faster, but it's kind of finicky to use. You can't, as you described, lift your thumb and swipe across the same area to move the point further in the direction you want to go. In "absolute" mode, moving your thumb back and re-swiping along the same area would pull the focus point back to where you landed your thumb, and then move it in the direction you swiped. So lifting your thumb and swiping across the same area multiple times would just move the AF point back and forth over the same part of the frame over and over.

Canon really needs to allow us to adjust the drag speed in relative mode to make this touch and drag AF thing actually work well.

Ah, yes that explains what was going on. Thanks for the explanation.

It sounds better to use just a corner of the screen to effectively increase the drag speed. The other frustrating part of "absolute" mode while using the flippy screen (instead of the EVF) was that touching the screen for a new focus point also triggered the shutter. Again, I'm sure that is an option that can be adjusted, but overall the default behaviors weren't intuitive to me.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Ah, yes that explains what was going on. Thanks for the explanation.

It sounds better to use just a corner of the screen to effectively increase the drag speed. The other frustrating part of "absolute" mode while using the flippy screen (instead of the EVF) was that touching the screen for a new focus point also triggered the shutter. Again, I'm sure that is an option that can be adjusted, but overall the default behaviors weren't intuitive to me.
I think that is called "touch shutter." And as far as I know, it's defaulted off. Maybe someone in the store previously turned it on before you started messing with it.

I actually settled on using "relative" mode on my camera. Absolute mode using just a corner of the screen does allow you to move the point around faster, but it just seemed too twitchy to me. Like I would move my thumb up to the touch screen just to get my bearings, and as soon as I would touch it, the AF point would jump to whatever point I touched, and I had to waste time getting it back where I wanted. It's very hard to land your finger right where you want it on the touch screen without looking at it.

Also, when holding the camera in portrait mode, having it set to absolute also becomes very awkward as now the corner of the screen you were using to set the AF point might be harder to reach when you're holding the camera differently.

I just want my joystick back. :mad: I feel like a joystick would work great if you could just hold it in a certain direction and the AF point would move in that direction until you let off. Ideally, the speed of the point moving would be adjustable, and perhaps it would move faster the longer you held down the joystick, so you could position the point precisely, but also quickly move it across the frame.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I use my R and mkIV side by side on jobs and the joystick on the mkIV works OK but not super fast and then only within the much smaller range of focus points.
I use the touchscreen on absolute with the lower right of the screen active.
I have disabled touch shutter.
After a bit of practice I was able to place my thumb just where I wanted the FP to be. I attribute this to years of using a Wacom tablet that instilled the practice of positioning accurately on a screen.
When I first used the tablet I thought I would go mad, now I can't live without it and curse loudly when forced to use a mouse and its relative position.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I use my R and mkIV side by side on jobs and the joystick on the mkIV works OK but not super fast and then only within the much smaller range of focus points.
I use the touchscreen on absolute with the lower right of the screen active.
I have disabled touch shutter.
After a bit of practice I was able to place my thumb just where I wanted the FP to be. I attribute this to years of using a Wacom tablet that instilled the practice of positioning accurately on a screen.
When I first used the tablet I thought I would go mad, now I can't live without it and curse loudly when forced to use a mouse and its relative position.
I can SO relate to the placement of a point using Wacom vs mouse, I have no patience with a mouse:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
if Canon can improve the servo focus to be fast and accurate at the medium or high shooting speeds then I might pick one up....pretty much everything else is good enough for the price of one. 8 fps with good continuous tracking even with the slight screen blackout would be great. Looking forward to trying it out with the 500 f4 and teleconverters :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
That's very specific! Last week of the quarter?
Its just a perception, Canon sometimes gives estimates of 1st quarter, and that usually means very close to the end of the quarter. They have not given a time table, so its just my guess, and as likely to be right or way off. I've been saying that since the R came out.

Upvote 0