Thoughts on the Canon EOS R roadmap

Are there many jobs at Canon UK? If one is considering a 400LIS mkIII...it might be worth a 3 month role there...
It's a pity that HDEW don't sell the bigger whites like the 400LIS mkIII. £13K is a LOT to spend...considering there are currently no discounts on that lens.

Unfortunately, it was 3 years ago, otherwise I would not need to shop on HDEW... I had this opportunity through friend of friend and saved £700+ on 70-200 Mk.II. At that time they had some limits on how many items and total value they can shop per year and not everything was available / eligible - big whites and 1D bodies were not available for sure.

Upvote 0
Personally I expect a mirrorless rebel in the next few months to fulfill that very important price level as mentioned in the article and a full frame mirrorless more akin to the 5DmkIV with IBS and a higher frame rate/servo by Summer. I don't know how many mkIVs they sell now but I am guessing that is is a fairly high volume high profit area. Add IBS, a faster frame rate, mkIV buttons and a second slot and voila. My opinion is that its an area of growing competition from Sony, Nikon, etc. The super high megapixel camera is just not that large of a market comparatively. Personally, I'm quite happy to keep the megapixels at 30.
The Servo frame rate is pathetic on the EOS R which tends me to believe that a 1DX mkII mirrorless is not going to happen soon since we would expect it to exceed the specs of what we have now obviously and I think the tech is just not there with Canon.

Isn't the M50 the mirrorless Rebel?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm expecitng a pre April budget body and in June/July 'Two months till release' 5 series smorgasboard of a High MP R and a 5D5 + 5D5r release along with three new lenses, likely to be a 24-70, 70-200 and 35mm all in RF mount.

I don't see Canon sitting still on this front and it gives them time for a Mirrorless 1D launch. I say this because the Current R model is almost there anyway. If it wasn't for the lack of Joystick and dual cards I'd say it is the same as the 5D4 anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm expecitng a pre April budget body and in June/July 'Two months till release' 5 series smorgasboard of a High MP R and a 5D5 + 5D5r release along with three new lenses, likely to be a 27-70, 70-200 and 35mm all in RF mount.

I don't see Canon sitting still on this front and it gives them time for a Mirrorless 1D launch. I say this because the Current R model is almost there anyway. If it wasn't for the lack of Joystick and dual cards I'd say it is the same as the 5D4 anyway.
No real comment on this other than to say "I really liked your real-world use Canon R review". I hope the firmware release expected soon includes the ability to reduce the focal points. That would essentially fix the d-pad not being able to be used as a less effective joystick.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
What I hope to see is a EOS R style replacement for the EOS 80D and the EOS 7D Mark II, plus some wide primes, aimed at the enthusiast and pro. What I expect to see is a Full Frame Rebel, a kit zoom and lots of slow (f/4-f/8) convenience zoom lenses (18-100, 100-200, 200-600, etc).

Canon's problem is that there is no longer a large entry-level market that will buy crop cameras.Enthusiasts want either Full-Frame or the Not-Really-Medium Format Fuji 50S/50R cameras.

Upvote 0
Well, give me a decent AF Servo Tracking with more than the current EOS-R frames per second - that's all i need in addition to what i got with my R. So far, i leave any mirrorless canon at home ( i own a m50 as well) , if i'm out with my dogs every day. "Action" shots are just not possible with these cameras. The m50 actually has a decent fps in one shot AF as has the R - but in bad light conditions / high iso , i don't like the APS-C m50 and it's results and the R is just not capable of tracking fast moving targets.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
If the magic target is $1500, we may be there in few months if we consider grey market as well. EOS R currently sells for £1659 on HDewCameras in UK (still with "some" warranty) while it is £2349 in retail.

My one off experience buying L lens with Canon's UK employee discount also showed that you can get even lower than grey market prices and still have full EU/UK warranty. Retail prices are rip off.

You cannot compare employee price discounts to full retail. I used to work for REI (outdoor shop in USA) we bought prodeal at 25-35% of retail cost or maybe at most 50% on some items like bicycles. That's almost like saying become CEO of Canon and they give you cameras for free. Or as Bill Nighy as Billy Mack said in Love Actually, “Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!”

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
IIRC Bluetooth specs are controlled by the phone companies who do not wish to afford Camera companies an easy way of uploading files to the phone.
Bluetooth is managed by the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG), which has more than 30,000 member companies in the areas of telecommunication, computing, networking, and consumer electronics. I think it's fairly open.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
What I hope to see is a EOS R style replacement for the EOS 80D and the EOS 7D Mark II, plus some wide primes, aimed at the enthusiast and pro. What I expect to see is a Full Frame Rebel, a kit zoom and lots of slow (f/4-f/8) convenience zoom lenses (18-100, 100-200, 200-600, etc).
What I hope to see is a Full Frame Rebel, and not APS-C RF cameras or lenses. Not that I'd buy that Rebel (maybe yes, maybe no), but I think it would be good for the industry. My first Canon camera was a full frame Rebel, by the way.

What I expect to see is still no G7X III for the next 3 months.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
What I hope to see is a Full Frame Rebel, and not APS-C RF cameras or lenses. Not that I'd buy that Rebel (maybe yes, maybe no), but I think it would be good for the industry. My first Canon camera was a full frame Rebel, by the way.

I am right there with ya! My first was a FF Rebel as well, back in the John McEnroe era. I would be all in on a FF Rebel R MAYBE :D
Also looking forward to G7XIII with DPAF and what else? :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

I'd buy a FF Rebel.

Upvote 0

Rebel's have never been full frame, always APS-C from the inception. 6D is the closest thing to a full frame Rebel.

Upvote 0