Another Canon EOS R series body mentioned [CR2]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Probably true that the vast majority of users who have grown accustomed to using a joystick don't like not having one, while the considerably larger population of users who have never used a joystick don't miss what they have never experienced.

Switching between my 7D and 100D was frustrating when I needed something else than the centre AF point. After selling the 100D and buying an M50 I'm a big fan of the touch-and-drag AF, set to top-right/absolute.
Having said that, I'm not sure how I would like that on the R, I've seen enough reports like "My thumb can't reach all the way, even in top-right mode" that I fear for my average sized hands.

If a new R model comes with a joystick I hope they add some form of acceleration and pressure sensitivity to make traversing those thousands of AF points nice and fast.

Upvote 0
Probably true that the vast majority of users who have grown accustomed to using a joystick don't like not having one, while the considerably larger population of users who have never used a joystick don't miss what they have never experienced.

They'll probably miss it as soon as they try out another camera with one on and if they don't try one, they'll want to select af points quicker as they get used to the camera and they speed up in using it.

Nearly every present mirrorless camera manufacturer has a joystick present. Canon probably just wanted to seperate the models by taking something away.

They'll likely ask 4 large for their pro body so it has to be worth double the cost of the R. An already exceptionally capable camera. Dual card slots and a stick will do that. I think, don't quote me :D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
make that animal eye focus and add a buffer for 50-100 raw and that would be my dream camera (at least for now)

Why a buffer for 50-100 RAW?
It seems like there are many who shoot with the spray and pray concept even in sports and other action shots.
I cannot conceive of a situation for 100 consecutive shots unless one is just perhaps lazy in technique and just hoping the rapid acquisition of shots will make up for that laziness or perhaps lack of ability.
How did great sports photographers survive with 36 exposures at 3.5 FPS? And then special HS cameras at 10 FPS with 36 exposures?
Just wondering is as a whole there is a laziness and just hoping for a good shot by just holding the shutter down for long periods.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
It seems like there are many who shoot with the spray and pray concept even in sports and other action shots.
I cannot conceive of a situation for 100 consecutive shots unless one is just perhaps lazy in technique and just hoping the rapid acquisition of shots will make up for that laziness or perhaps lack of ability.
How did great sports photographers survive with 36 exposures at 3.5 FPS? And then special HS cameras at 10 FPS with 36 exposures?
Just wondering is as a whole there is a laziness and just hoping for a good shot by just holding the shutter down for long periods.
They got 3 camera and nimble finger kid to change films :D

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Talys, how has AF accuracy been with adapted EF lenses? I'm also hoping there will soon (made by somebody) be an M42 to RF mount adapter.

AF accuracy on EF lenses is bang on :) Speed and performance in less-than-optimal light is good too, though it can't compare with a DSLR with a AF illuminator on a flash in poor AF conditions, like at fireplace/candlelight/dimmed light and a f/4 lens.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
AF accuracy on EF lenses is bang on :) Speed and performance in less-than-optimal light is good too, though it can't compare with a DSLR with a AF illuminator on a flash in poor AF conditions, like at fireplace/candlelight/dimmed light and a f/4 lens.
Thank you, Talys. :)

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

I like the joystick and use it a lot on my DSLRs, and I'm taking a while getting used to not having it on the R.

BUT, I'd trade a joystick in an instant for better in-camera eye/face/subject tracking and better artificial intelligence about where focus should be. Yes, I want to override that and do manually too, but I know a camera can be faster than me at making these decisions.

Upvote 0
I can dream - some day it will be true. Then I'll be complaining about all the 1TB memory cards I'll have to buy
You can absolutely dream, but data throughput seems to be an issue, especially with with Canon's auto-focus implementation. Hence he cropped 4K video in the R. Maybe someday you will see all that in one body, but not until a really big technical leap is made in the way data is processed.

Just my opinion, but I think we will see, in addition to the R:
  • A slightly stripped down version (only because the rumors seem to point that way).
  • A high megapixel body (5DS replacement) to fill your 50 MP craving (but probably higher) with some pro additions like 2 card slots and maybe a joystick.
  • A general purpose pro 5D replacement more in the 30-35 MP range with an uncropped 4K implementation, along with the 2 cards and the joystick.
  • A high fps but lower megapixel body that also has uncropped 4K. It will be interesting to see the form factor for this one, if it's a full on 1D style body, or something slightly different.
All of these seem logical and and what the rumors are pointed towards.
For my personal use, the current R is probably just fine. I'm more curious about upcoming lenses.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I just did a lookup on the speeds of Cfast and while it's an older system it still writes at 300mb/s vs XQD's 440mb/s.

Cards are cheaper too. With the current R topping out at 175mb/s write anyway I can't see a burning need for a faster card protocol, even the Current max CF cards write at 160mb/s

SD was always the bottleneck. While read speeds could always improve when copying files to the computer so long as one card (UHS-ii) is present I've never had a burning need for a faster card, or see a practical use for one. But that's just my option for my use case.

You'd have to be putting a heck of a lot of data through continuously. Maybe the EOS Cinema line but cameras that do video? Hmmm.
Seems I remember when the 5D mark IV was being speculated about... lots of people were begging for CFAST slots. Things change quickly, don't they?

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015

There are situations where a large buffer, or a camera body with a fast enough buffer dump (Canon 1Dx II with Cfast, for example) to never hit the 'wall' with respect to slowing down frame rate, is very much a great thing to have. And, it has nothing to do with lazy technique, or hoping for a good shot by 'spraying and praying.'

It does not take long to shoot 50+ frames when you are shooting at 14+ fps, and some great action sequences can last a long time relative to buffer size. For example, when you have a snail kite foraging in front of you and it decides to drop down and catch a snail right in front of you and then hover there for many seconds while it tries to open the snail and eat it. For me, this is a very rare opportunity, and I for one want as many shots of this action as possible. I want the max. number of images, not because I am hoping at least one of them will be in focus or in the frame due to my poor technique, but because the best composition showing the bird's eye, water drops, wing position, etc. is often a fleeing instance among all the action. A small buffer means hitting the fps wall very quickly, and this greatly reduces my chances of getting the best image of a rare bird. I want 14 fps for the whole action sequence, which in this case illustrated in the attached images lasted minutes, not seconds.

A large buffer and a very fast buffer dump rate is a wonderful thing to have when shooting wildlife action.

Attachments

• snail kite male cradle snail in air 1600cr.jpg
    snail kite male cradle snail in air 1600cr.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • Snail kite male eating snail flying 1600cr.jpg
    Snail kite male eating snail flying 1600cr.jpg
    802.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Snail kite male eating snail flying II richer 1600cr.jpg
    Snail kite male eating snail flying II richer 1600cr.jpg
    819.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Snail kite male eating snail flying III 1600cr.jpg
    Snail kite male eating snail flying III 1600cr.jpg
    966.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Snail kite male eating snail flying IV 1600cr.jpg
    Snail kite male eating snail flying IV 1600cr.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 131
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

3.5 fps on a warm day with brand new batteries. If it was even moderately cold or your batteries were halfway between "new" and "won't drive the winder" you were lucky to get 2 fps.

Upvote 0
IBIS, eye auto focus, 4K, etc., as long as matching Sony a7riii in term of functions and price, I will start buying Canon R, including RF 50mm F1.2 L.

Just wait for a decent Canon R body. I think this is what majority of Canon customers plan to do.

In my opinion Canon produces a great product and dosn't need to match NO ONE. The only thing Canon should be doing is bringing to market an updated camera that performs better or provides better options than it's succesor.

Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
Switching between my 7D and 100D was frustrating when I needed something else than the centre AF point. After selling the 100D and buying an M50 I'm a big fan of the touch-and-drag AF, set to top-right/absolute.
Having said that, I'm not sure how I would like that on the R, I've seen enough reports like "My thumb can't reach all the way, even in top-right mode" that I fear for my average sized hands.

If a new R model comes with a joystick I hope they add some form of acceleration and pressure sensitivity to make traversing those thousands of AF points nice and fast.
I use bottom right for the touch and drag, which works fine, though not as good as the joystick. The problem is I have to shoot a lot in dark venues so I often have the LCD screen flipped closed, and it's impossible to use the directional pad buttons to move the AF point fast enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
“Pretty touch without it”? What does that mean?

80% of my shooting is very activ kids, the R is great for that, and the Touch Bar doesn’t change that. If I wasn’t using BBF, the Touch Bar would have been a place to rest my thumb. But normally my thumb is on the AF-ON button..
Sorry, meant "pretty tough." Meaning that I've found it hard to move the AF point without a joystick (the original discussion being about removing the touch bar and adding a joystick). I also find the back focus button too awkwardly placed for my hand size. it's way too close to the edge and it becomes extremely uncomfortable after a few minuets.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0