Canon EOS RP Specifications [CR1]

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The 400g is startling. I think that's almost 20% lighter than the original Sony A7, which would be quite a feat considering the RF mount is larger than the EF mount. Amazing feat of engineering if true. At that price and size, the RP with the 35mm 1.8 is a tantalizing carry-everywhere camera setup for me.
The RF mount is not larger than EF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
If this sort of pricing turned out to be true it could be a good indication that there WON'T be an apsc R body. A body at this price will allow people to get into the RF line affordably and therefore Canon would not be required to have the apsc-FF upgrade path that they provided on the EF line. This will be very interesting to watch. If canon have truly decided to take the market they will surely do it by getting people into the system at such a low price. Once they're in they are unlikely to get out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The 400g is startling. I think that's almost 20% lighter than the original Sony A7, which would be quite a feat considering the RF mount is larger than the EF mount. Amazing feat of engineering if true. At that price and size, the RP with the 35mm 1.8 is a tantalizing carry-everywhere camera setup for me.
Actually, a larger hole = less metal and plastic = less weight

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Just a week before the official release, CR2 rumour of EOS R listed this for $1990.

- EOS R body
•28MP full frame sensor
•Dual Pixel Auto Focus
•IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation)
•10fps shooting
•4k@30fps
•1080p@60fps

Just sayin...
CR2 being the operative term. Can't complain when it's CR2 and there is a discrepancy. Just sayin'.

"[CR2] – Good information from a known source
Even known sources that have been correct in the past may not provide perfect information from time to time. This rating means there’s a strong possibility that the information has some truth to it, but it may be incomplete and/or misinterpreted information. "

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Cool, you know the sensor of EOS RP - please share the data, would be very interesting for a lot of us :)
Or he can go buy the 2013 a7. :rolleyes: The better question is why the heck are there a7 from nearly 6 years ago still on the shelf new?

Upvote 0
"....Panic has set in at Canon. Next will be the $ 999 RP followed by a 499 RP with a microscopic strip in the middle of the sensor doing 4k..... " By CanonKnight

---

OH YES! Canon had BETTER be panicking! Apple is coming out with 50 megapixel 8K video 2/3rds inch sensor and a One Inch sensor with ULTRA HIGH END Software IQ and Computational Photography smarts on BOTH their iPhone line and their iPad line of mobile devices! The rumour is that an official announcement could come as soon as THIS SEPTEMBER! Then there is a certain high-end media company that is coming out soon enough with THEIR COMBINED STILLS AND VIDEO CAMERA that has a very large sensor at 8192 x 6144 pixel 4:3 aspect ratio for 4:4:4 colour sampling 64-bit RGBA RAW and JPEG-2000 4:4:4/4:2:2 colour stills and DCI 8K 8192 by 4320 pixels for video at 60 fps 4:4:4 at 16 bits per channel (64-bit RGBA/YCbCrA colour)!

Add in those two product introductions and Canon is going to be HIT HARD on both the low end (i.e. highly intelligent AI driven Smartphones with bigger image sensors!) ...AND.... on the high end by very PRO-LEVEL lightweight 50 megapixel very large sensor combined stills and video cameras! Just these will literally and very likely kill off 35% or more of their revenue within ONE YEAR if they don't do something RIGHT NOW! This NEW low-priced mirrorless R-system will help but UNTIL Canon starts going into Large Sensor Smartphones and Medium Format (and larger!) cameras at GOOD PRICE POINTS then the OTHER BIG BOYS OF IMAGING are gonna SMACK CANON AROUND like a toy!

Good Luck Canon! You are DEFINITELY going to need it!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
"....Panic has set in at Canon. Next will be the $ 999 RP followed by a 499 RP with a microscopic strip in the middle of the sensor doing 4k..... " By CanonKnight

---

OH YES! Canon had BETTER be panicking! Apple is coming out with 50 megapixel 8K video 2/3rds inch sensor and a One Inch sensor with ULTRA HIGH END Software IQ and Computational Photography smarts on BOTH their iPhone line and their iPad line of mobile devices! The rumour is that an official announcement could come as soon as THIS SEPTEMBER! Then there is a certain high-end media company that is coming out soon enough with THEIR COMBINED STILLS AND VIDEO CAMERA that has a very large sensor at 8192 x 6144 pixel 4:3 aspect ratio for 4:4:4 colour sampling 64-bit RGBA RAW and JPEG-2000 4:4:4/4:2:2 colour stills and DCI 8K 8192 by 4320 pixels for video at 60 fps 4:4:4 at 16 bits per channel (64-bit RGBA/YCbCrA colour)!

Add in those two product introductions and Canon is going to be HIT HARD on both the low end (i.e. highly intelligent AI driven Smartphones with bigger image sensors!) ...AND.... on the high end by very PRO-LEVEL lightweight 50 megapixel very large sensor combined stills and video cameras! Just these will literally and very likely kill off 35% or more of their revenue within ONE YEAR if they don't do something RIGHT NOW! This NEW low-priced mirrorless R-system will help but UNTIL Canon starts going into Large Sensor Smartphones and Medium Format (and larger!) cameras at GOOD PRICE POINTS then the OTHER BIG BOYS OF IMAGING are gonna SMACK CANON AROUND like a toy!

Good Luck Canon! You are DEFINITELY going to need it!

Well, I guess Canon should be and probably are trembling but not based on your predictions. By the way what's your %?

Jack

Upvote 0
Well, I guess Canon should be and probably are trembling but not based on your predictions. By the way what's your %?

Jack

---

ONE of the above predictions is ABSOLUTELY 100% ACCURATE! And the reason WHY I know that is parked at the local heliport! :):):)

BUT...I should ALSO NOTE that I did bring the Canon EOS C700 cinema camera prediction in 2014 to light because of documents I found on the Northlight Images UK website! No one ELSE in North America knew about that system UNTIL I brought it to light here! So There! That's TWO items that are correct! I am curious though, WHERE DID Northlight get those docs from? I have numerous technical engineering sources in Europe and NO-ONE ELSE had those docs EXCEPT Northlight Images UK? And WHY weren't they sent to North America when that is Canon's LARGEST market? Was it EUROPE (i.e. probably Germany!) the main development centre for the Canon C700 series cameras so the C700 docs got leaked from there?
So WHAT ELSE is Canon Europe making/developing for Cinema and Stills Cameras? I did also show those two photos of a Canon large sensor smartphone last year (i.e. in 2018 of the curved large lens mount looking one and the flat screened silver boxy looking one). I actually believe the SILVER BOXY looking one is THE REAL PROTOTYPE even though some people say it's garbage! The casing has the look of a 3D-printed ABS plastic prototyping case! So maybe Canon ALREADY has a large sensor smartphone almost ready to go! THEN THAT WOULD MAKE IT THREE CORRECT PREDICTIONS FROM ME !!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That sounds pretty good. And the reduced weight will help make-up for the added weight of the adapter, since there will be no native small and lightweight lenses for it for the foreseeable future.
I love heavy lenses. Had my fill of cheap and lightweight lenses back in my ASP-C days. Heavy feels like I got my money's worth. So far, with Canon, that has been 100% true in my world.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I love heavy lenses. Had my fill of cheap and lightweight lenses back in my ASP-C days. Heavy feels like I got my money's worth.

Heavy makes me feel tired hiking! Period. Good but light will satisfy me - they don't have to be built like a tank for may folk who are careful with their gear.

However, if light means too small that's a different story. I hope grips continue to be decent sized.

Jack

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Heavy makes me feel tired hiking! Period. Good but light will satisfy me - they don't have to be built like a tank for may folk who are careful with their gear.

However, if light means too small that's a different story. I hope grips continue to be decent sized.

Jack
Heck, my refrigerator is only 8 feet from the couch. ;) That's the extent of my hiking. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Per the arguments started yesterday; I am highly skeptical that this "new sensor" is anything but a repurposed 6D2 sensor. A sensor that would have been great back in 2012 but has no place on a forthcoming product spec sheet.

Meanwhile, Canon is kicking ass and looking for more to slay in the lens game, its like the orbital bombardment of Korhal. Lets see more of those fast primes! 85 F1.2; what a choice!

good night

Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
Absolutely outstanding rumors regarding the lens lineup, and interesting camera if this proves true! I’d love to see a joystick as well but it’s higly unlikely.. a wheel instead of the 4 direction pad would be good though
I’m a bit skeptical about the 400g because it might mean the camera could be not balanced or too plasticky
But the price point is really interesting!
I wonder if it’s a new sensor or a 6DII revamped version.. it’s still uncertain from the leak.
Maybe they’ll be able to put 1080 120fps?
That’d be great!
Anyway, I’m excited to see what canon comes up with, and the lenses make me so excited!!

Upvote 0