What’s next for the Canon EOS R system and the rest of the lineup?

Why is there nothing in the pipeline for the average working professional?! Wedding photographers, commercial photographers, sports shooters, journalist... If any of our camera bodies need to be replaced, we'd be looking at buying a 5d IV or 1DX. Really old cameras that canon is no longer making lenses for. This puts us in a bad position and makes me uncomfortable.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’m seriously not cropping away bokeh or pixels in any way shape or form if it isn’t HIGHLY required and I’ve shot a lot with both 85 and 100 and for portraits I like 100 a lot more, it’s like 50 and 35, I always know exactly what I get in the frame. I’ll also use it for kids soccer and ballet and I’ll have to crop with a 100mm sometimes. 100 is much more exciting to use for me.

I saw someone mention the Sigma, and I’ll never buy a Sigma ever again, but I saw Otus 100 f1.4 mentioned and that tickles me toes :p I’ve owned the Zeiss 100 f2 mp previously and it’s my favorite portrait lens of all times, epic epic lens...

Me too. I love the compression from 100-135 range. 100mm work well both indoor and outdoor

Here is the rumored list dated 1/2/19. https://www.canonrumors.com/as-many-as-7-new-rf-lenses-coming-in-2019-cr2/
Rumoured RF lenses for 2019:
  • RF 16-35mm f/2.8L (or similar)
  • RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS (or similar)
  • RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (or similar)
  • RF 105mm f/1.4L
  • RF 85mm f/1.8 IS STM
  • RF Macro lens
  • RF non-L kit lens

Upvote 0
Why is there nothing in the pipeline for the average working professional?! Wedding photographers, commercial photographers, sports shooters, journalist... If any of our camera bodies need to be replaced, we'd be looking at buying a 5d IV or 1DX. Really old cameras that canon is no longer making lenses for. This puts us in a bad position and makes me uncomfortable.

Me too. I wish it's a 5DIV replacement coming out next. If I know it's a 5DSr or 1DXII, I'll consider getting another camera in the mean time.

Upvote 0
Full frame sensors don't really require cutting edge silicon technology in terms of features sizes (transistor gate width and metal pitch), so Canon and others can use a few generation older CMOS processes running on possibly fully depreciated fabs or production lines, with very mature yields.

The pixels are not the problem, but the other elements on the same die are. The sensor in the Sony A9 has one DAC on the end of each image line! You can’t do that in 180nm which afaik is canons best tech. Sony uses 46nm or so. They developed all that for smartphone cameras and used the same tech on much larger sensors. Canon is speed limited and only can go faster with lower MP, see 1DX2.

B.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
This might be the reason:

They are working on it, but they are not there yet. But the time they will get there, lenses will be already available. The afromentioned DSLRs are widely used and work perfectly fine for that purpose, older also means cheaper bodies and lenses, better value.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Has anyone else noticed that in the advertising for the RP, Canon states that it is the smallest and lightest EOS full frame, but there is an asterisk?

An asterisk which goes to a footnote that says "To Date".

Doesn't that imply they are looking at making an even smaller and/or lighter one?

I need to handle one (and the R as well) to see if they are at the 'sweet spot' for my hand size. That will control which one (if either) I buy.

Bravo to Canon for bringing these out.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Has anyone else noticed that in the advertising for the RP, Canon states that it is the smallest and lightest EOS full frame, but there is an asterisk?

An asterisk which goes to a footnote that says "To Date".

Doesn't that imply they are looking at making an even smaller and/or lighter one?

I need to handle one (and the R as well) to see if they are at the 'sweet spot' for my hand size. That will control which one (if either) I buy.

Bravo to Canon for bringing these out.

Nope, that's just standard marketing material fine print because no camera company can predict the future. Nothing unusual about it.

Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam

How do you know that there is no DSLR in the pipeline? It was more than 4 years from 5D mk3 to mk4. mk4 was only announced in August 2016. And it is the same for the 1D X mk 2. It was announced in February 2016. Even without the R product line, one wouldn't expect successor models before 2020.

We don't know if Canon is developing new EF lenses, but they are still making them. Selling mature products should be very profitable.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Now that the R and the RP are out of the way Canon can't make a more basic mirrorless camera.
The RP is surely the low end of full frame mirrorless.
The next ones have to have something new.
Hopefully serious rumours will start soon so that I have something to look forward to.
It would be unlike Canon to go all in but it would be nice to see a mirrorless camera coming out that doesn't feel like Canon is
deliberately compromising on.
I'd be happy with a 10 FPS, 30MP , Dual card slot, Eye Focus, Silent Shutter.
A 100 MP 5FPS would annoy me but tempt me depending on the quality of the image.
The 1DR will be outrageous in price when it eventually comes out. If there was some proof of life and an arrival date I might save for it.

Upvote 0
This might be the reason:

They are working on it, but they are not there yet. But the time they will get there, lenses will be already available. The afromentioned DSLRs are widely used and work perfectly fine for that purpose, older also means cheaper bodies and lenses, better value.
I am looking for a 5Dv to replace my 5Diii in the same body format. Much as the R family looks exciting, I have an underwater housing that fits 5Diii/iv/SR and a 5Dv is also likely to fit the housing whcih is worth the same as a new body! I'm very happy with my current set of EF L lens. The 5Div is an incremental step for me but a 5Dv would be a no-brainer for me. Weight/size for hands etc is not an issue.
The 5Dii was out for 3.5 years, 5Diii for 4.5 years and 5Div for 3.5 years (end-2019) so the timing would be good for 1Q2020 :)
Anyone think that this is likely?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I am looking for a 5Dv to replace my 5Diii in the same body format. Much as the R family looks exciting, I have an underwater housing that fits 5Diii/iv/SR and a 5Dv is also likely to fit the housing whcih is worth the same as a new body! I'm very happy with my current set of EF L lens. The 5Div is an incremental step for me but a 5Dv would be a no-brainer for me. Weight/size for hands etc is not an issue.
The 5Dii was out for 3.5 years, 5Diii for 4.5 years and 5Div for 3.5 years (end-2019) so the timing would be good for 1Q2020 :)
I sure hope so as I'm in a similar boat. The Pro R has to tick all the boxes or it's a 5D series for me as well.

Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam

DSLR development is slowing down. 5D mk1 and mk2 had a lot of innovation. Mk3 was a big step for the AF, not much else. The underlying technologies are not developing so fast anymore. I wouldn't expect dramatic changes for a 5D mk5.

The camera manufacturers need customers to renew their cameras. DSLR or MILC doesn't matter, as long as people buy. But the marketing department desperately needs new features for their shiny brochures... ;)

Certainly we will see a 5D successor one day, but that could be a 5D mk V, or a 5R. Only Canon knows.

My take on the roadmap: 1Q2020 could be for a 5R. A 5D mk V would take longer, maybe 4Q2020 or 1Q2021.

Upvote 0