Here’s a vague Canon roadmap for 2019 [CR1]

Sony is rumored to have A7SIII/A9R (36 mpx, 5.7 million dot EVF, 16 bit sensor) and maybe A7RIV.
Things in perspective...If Canon takes a hole year (one more....) to send to he market a great mirrorless camera it will loose a LOT of costumers. Why? Well...it´s very predictable that Sony can send new cameras this year....There has been some talks about the new A7SIII and about the new A7r4 (I believe it´s a bit early, but Sony doesn´t have the same behaviour of Canon in releasing new cameras.) People that bought this cameras 2 years ago may have the need (or the desire) of a new camera after 2 years. In parallel, people that bought the EOS 5D S (and R) will also start thinking in a upgrade. If Sony delivers a new line of cameras before Canon and if they really respond to the "demands" of the market, or show great specs in evolution terms, well....then people wil not wait any longer for a response by Canon. And if someone buy´s a 3500$ body will not buy another one 6 months later....

For my professional needs, I do have some huge works both in stills and video coming up in middle 2019 and beginning of 2020. I can wait for Canon a little bit longer until the last quarter of the year (but not the announcement date....the release date!!!!) But i do want a LOT to exchange my Sony A7r3 for a Canon to payr with my 1dx mkII. But if Sony releases a killer machine in middle of the year....I may start thinking in a good bye Canon...But don´t want so please Canon give us some good cameras!!

Regarding the roadmap, it makes sense that the next camera to be a high resolution one in the R sistem, I do believe it will be a replacement for the 5Ds series and will be the end of the series in DSLR world. I think Canon will progressively adopt R sistem has the primarily one...I don´t see Canon releasing a new 1dxMKIII soon, although for a long time, the professional line of Canon always was the 1D series and the prosumer cameras the 5D series....So if Canon mentions a professional new camera it should be a 1D series camera....

It is my believe that canon could win a lot by reducing the different lines of cameras, they are way too much cameras....And start compacting things in less cameras!! The market has changed! Sony compacts features and they are having great results in that!

I mentioned this in previous posts in other topics, Canon new R sistem is promising, the EOS R is a great camera for a start, the EOS RP is a great "entry level" camera....but we need the sharks Canon! Especially us, that we do make a living with cameras...we can´t stay behind competition!! 2 years earlier if we wanted a Camera that makes 10 bit 4:2:2 we can only get that on specialized cinema cameras....nowadays you get that on a panasonic gh5, on a Sony A7SII, and if you don´t need that, you can get an ATOMOS and record with HDMI output. Canon doesn´t give you any of this!! Not even the 1dx mkII!

So don´t fool around, don´t splash specs in 4 or 5 different cameras, make 2 great cameras and you´ll have my money! Don´t make it, and Sony will have my money! This is only me talking, but I am one in a LOT on users in the market that think like this! After more that 2 years waiting for Canon response, it more than time!! And I don´t care if its mirrorless or DSLR, just send some god damn great cameras to the market!!!!!

I waited and waited to upgrade my camera but I think I might be adding partially or completely switch to Sony or Pansonic if they release a 60-100 mpx pro body

Sony A7RIV/A9R/A7SIII (36 mpx 16 bit 5.76 million dot, Sony eyeAF and live tracking) is very enticing and would likely make me switch. Panasonic S1 $2500 has IBIS, ergonomic, weather sealing, 5.76 million dot EVF, good eyeAF and good 4K.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
"More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light."

It's the guys with the longest, most expensive kit lists that are first in line for MOAR TECHNOLOGIES!!!1!! yet stuff their signatures with profoundities.

Have you pressed a shutter button today?
I have as well (on vacation and shooting quite a bit). I am not a professional but leverage good equipment (bodies and lenses) for all of the shots I do take and get (as well as print for myself, friends and family). I shoot landscape and wildlife and the body I use most is the 5DSR. I have seriously considered a shift to Nikon or Sony on numerous occasions over the past 2 years but have held off hoping Canon will catch up in sensors. They have always dominated in lens technology and due to my investment in glass I am apprehensive to switch.

It is beyond time that they innovate, partner or buy from a superior sensor company and get that end of their equipment back in line with the leaders. They are leaders in every other aspect (ergonomics, lenses, menu systems (UI), after sales service) but resting too long on your laurels makes you a Sears, Kodak, Nokia, et al.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
1) Contrary to common belief, megapixels do not adversely affect high ISO performance for stills. It only seems that way because people pixel peep.
What proof do you have of this? Seems pretty suspect considering that the 1DX II is an older camera than the 5DIV, yet it has a much higher ISO range, and about 33% lower resolution.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I couldn’t say as I haven’t used the two side by side, I have used the 1DX MkII and R side by side and the 1DX MkII was significantly better in bad light with distant/small subjects.
This also seems really suspect to me, as the 1Dx II autofocus is rated to -3EV, compared to the EOS R at -6EV. And yes I realize the EOS R was rated with a faster lens than normally used, but even compensating for this, I think the EOS R's rating bests the 1DX II.

Upvote 0
so I think this year will be a glass buying year for me then. A 70-200 F 2.8 is still on the wishlist
Maybe with a littlebit of glue you could fix it to a M50 while waiting for a real R body. Or maybe we just could all buy glass this year, then wait 2-3 years and hope Canon releases a real R body that has 1080 @ 60 for $3899 while dropping to 720p with ef glass. That would make a lot of sense !

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
What proof do you have of this? Seems pretty suspect considering that the 1DX II is an older camera than the 5DIV, yet it has a much higher ISO range, and about 33% lower resolution.
It's true. There is very little difference between a high resolution image downsampled to a lower resolution one if the sensors are the same generation and you are looking at the same sensor area.

I did and posted exhaustive testing comparing the 7D and the 1Ds MkIII at same sensor areas and the detail and noise differences were minute even in testing conditions.

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
I think there will be a EOS RS (as replacement for 5DS/R) and a EOS RX (with 20+fps) at the end of the year, in the early 2020, because in summer 2020 there are Olympic games in Tokyo. Canon will never miss this chance at home!

But 1DX3 and 5D Mark 5 might be in the pipeline too, if Canon dont want a full switch to EOS R. Especially the fast fps is easier without a mirror... so maybe a "low megapixel" 24MP 20fps camera would be "sufficient" for all sporting events...
And IF there is no 5D Mark 5, there will be a EOS R2 with the successor sensor...
But I think they will do at least some years both paths, but the next DSLR camera announcements will be the last of every line. (7D4 also)...

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I'm going to be really unhappy if after over a year of waiting since the release of the lukewarm EOS R that Canon finally comes up with a "pro" DSLR and it's got all the controls/features you want, but with some crazy 100MP sensor.

Crazy-high megapixel cameras are a special use case. I want a true successor to a 5D4 or IDXII sensor... Modest megapixels and great high ISO performance. Nobody needs 100MP.* Plenty of people need better low light performance.

*Yes, I know, you're the one person that really needs 100MP, even though you probably really don't.

Just becomes it comes with 100 MP doesn't mean you have to shoot at that resolution...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
This also seems really suspect to me, as the 1Dx II autofocus is rated to -3EV, compared to the EOS R at -6EV. And yes I realize the EOS R was rated with a faster lens than normally used, but even compensating for this, I think the EOS R's rating bests the 1DX II.
All I can say is I was shooting at 1/250, f2.8, iso 6400 at the weekend and the 1DX MkII was significantly more composed in the AF department.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 0
I have as well (on vacation and shooting quite a bit). I am not a professional but leverage good equipment (bodies and lenses) for all of the shots I do take and get (as well as print for myself, friends and family). I shoot landscape and wildlife and the body I use most is the 5DSR. I have seriously considered a shift to Nikon or Sony on numerous occasions over the past 2 years but have held off hoping Canon will catch up in sensors. They have always dominated in lens technology and due to my investment in glass I am apprehensive to switch.

It is beyond time that they innovate, partner or buy from a superior sensor company and get that end of their equipment back in line with the leaders. They are leaders in every other aspect (ergonomics, lenses, menu systems (UI), after sales service) but resting too long on your laurels makes you a Sears, Kodak, Nokia, et al.

I don't know if Canon is really a leader in ergonomic, menu etc. Nikon Z series is similiar to EOS R. Panasonic S1/R has better ergonomic, weather sealing, joystick, menu, fully touch screen LCD. They also have better EVF at 5.6 million EVF, a very robus IBIS with eyeAF and 4K with dual card slot for ONLY $200 more than EOS R.

Canon may a wide range of lens but it isn't like third party alternatives isn't decent either. I have been extremely happy with my Sigma 105 1.4 Art, 135 1.8 Art, 14-24 Art and Tamron 90mm and 15-30 for significant less than Canon L alternative. I've have been mostly buying third party alternative as of late and pass over Canon 85 1.4 IS. The new RF lenses is nice, but is it worth at least 1/3 more? Not for me.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Crazy-high megapixel cameras are a special use case. I want a true successor to a 5D4 or IDXII sensor... Modest megapixels and great high ISO performance. Nobody needs 100MP.* Plenty of people need better low light performance.

You nailed it. I gonna join your club, if you allow.

Upvote 0
Another EF body doesn’t make sense and it appears to me just a rumor based on wishful thinking.

Two RF bodies does make great business sense before July 2020.

RF equivalent to the D5, 1DX2 and A9. Another RF equivalent to the D850, 5Ds R and A7R3

Really wish CR had a filter to filter out Cinema EOS rumors. A lot of us are just interested with the DSLR or mirrorless.

50MP appears to be the current sweet spot for medium format cameras. So maybe a 50MP RF body with better ISO and DR?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
All I can say is I was shooting at 1/250, f2.8, iso 6400 at the weekend and the 1DX MkII was significantly more composed in the AF department.
here here. Look, the -6EV focusing capability in the EOS R is HUGE (I haven't used one, just going by whats on paper) but in real world, particularly when shooting in shooting in AF Servo Mode, I'll take my 1DX2 every day and twice on Sunday. The deeper sensitivity on a Camera like the EOS R is probably mostly useful in single shot or simple things like that. Probably less effective when chasing moving targets or takings loads of pictures. Camera for a different purpose. I'd be curious to hear from folks who have used the EOS R to get their feedback on how well that -6 works in different situations

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
You nailed it. I gonna join your club, if you allow.

I rarely reach for my 5DSR compared to the 1DX2. Beautiful images, but oh lord the file sizes... I mainly use it when I'm taking large group photos to put that extra resolve on every face as some of those images I do print at 24x36

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

They're about the same at the same view size across all ISOs. The 5D IV "only" goes to 102,400 but they're both useless by that point. The two ISOs above that are gimmicks on the 1DX II and any consumer ILC which offers them.

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 1.21.14 PM.png

The 5Ds has a bit more noise but renders more detail, so after PP it will produce the sharper, cleaner print. Capping it at 12,800 was a poor decision on Canon's part, as you can underexpose by 1ev at 12,800, push in post, and end up with competitive images to FF cameras that have "native" 25,600. (Native is in quotes because by these ISOs there's not much difference between what the camera is doing and a PS push.) IMHO 25,600 is a reasonable cap for any currently shipping FF body. By 51,200 everything has hideously ugly and intrusive noise.

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 1.23.18 PM.png

And here's the current Sony bodies. Kinda like the 5Ds the A7r3 has a bit more noise, but also more detail, so after PP it's actually going to be the sharper/cleaner image by a bit.

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 1.30.13 PM.png

Now let's put the "not a high ISO camera / old and busted Canon sensor tech" 5Ds against the "great low light / new hotness Sony sensor tech" A7s II. 5Ds isn't quite as clean but it's so much sharper, with so much additional detail that it doesn't matter. (You can't see the full sharpness/detail gap at the same view size as the Sony because the MP gap is so large.) If you NR to the level of sharpness available in the A7s II there won't be a speck of noise in the 5Ds print.

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 1.38.51 PM.png

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I rarely reach for my 5DSR compared to the 1DX2. Beautiful images, but oh lord the file sizes... I mainly use it when I'm taking large group photos to put that extra resolve on every face as some of those images I do print at 24x36
The 5DSR has its supporters. I always prefer the 5D IV to it. In my two cameras the 5D IV is much better especially as the ISO rises.
The 5DSR is fine in good conditions like a studio or in good light at ISO 100.
When I'm on a photography trip I usually have both cameras and I always prefer the 5D IV.
I don't know if I have a bad version of the 5DSR.
It was a pretty early version of it.
The files sizes of raw photographs are a bit of pain when you take alot of photographs.
I could see with small birds it might be an advantage but for me for most types of photography the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.
I could only think that 100 MP would be even more of a headache.
I do think a high MP 50 or 100 will be the next mirrorless camera.
I'd prefer a Mark IV mirrorless alternative but something that could easily be seen as an improvement on the Mark IV - otherwise what is the point of mirrorless

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The 5DSR has its supporters. I always prefer the 5D IV to it. In my two cameras the 5D IV is much better especially as the ISO rises.
The 5DSR is fine in good conditions like a studio or in good light at ISO 100.
When I'm on a photography trip I usually have both cameras and I always prefer the 5D IV.
I don't know if I have a bad version of the 5DSR.
It was a pretty early version of it.
The files sizes of raw photographs are a bit of pain when you take alot of photographs.
I could see with small birds it might be an advantage but for me for most types of photography the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.
I could only think that 100 MP would be even more of a headache.
I do think a high MP 50 or 100 will be the next mirrorless camera.
I'd prefer a Mark IV mirrorless alternative but something that could easily be seen as an improvement on the Mark IV - otherwise what is the point of mirrorless

Yup. it's a studio camera. And it's GREAT for that. Outdoors in natural light is fine too provided you shoot in mid to lower ISOs. Tripod mounted or very capable IS lenses are a must unless you can always shoot at very fast shutters speeds. It doesn't take much motion to induce blur thanks to being so Hi-Res.

That's also why this NEW talk of Canon IBIS development make s a TON of sense in an EOS R Pro model with a 50MP+ sensor that would ostensibly be the 5DS replacement. IBIS is good for video and high resolution stills. I've never had an issue shooting handheld with normal resolution sensors like the 1DX2 or my 5D3 (Or my 6D or my 7D...or my T2i). But I've had a lot of occasions where I THINK i nailed a shot with 5DSR (handheld, looking through OVF) only to get home in Lightroom and find out, "Nope...." I never take that thing out anymore without tripods and IS glass, which mostly for me with that camera I'm doing portrait stuff, so it's the 85L 1.4 IS

Upvote 0
What about a 5D IV replacement? When do you expect that and what kind of feature?

There will not be a 5D5 IMO. And frankly it's impossible to say what features it's EOS R equivalent will lack compared to the competition, but it'll be a long list. It's been well over a decade since Canon delivered a class leading camera on features. If they haven't been embarrassed to change paths by now they never will. EOS RP is proof o

Yet the 5DIV at high ISO is as good when resolution is equalised and better at lower ISO. 5DsR was never worse than 5D3 even at ISO6400 and massively better below that. You aren't really worse off with higher MP unless you get to crazy ISO's. A7sII with those fat pixels is king at extreme ISO but is blown away in normal range by A7RIII. Give me 48MP over 12MP for FF any day.

Upvote 0