The Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II is finally on the way

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Wow! They hired the same designer that did the AMC Gremlin. That's got to be THE ugliest camera I've ever seen and I'm including Miranda's and anything that came out of Russian this century. It's a real eye-catcher, but not in the good sense.
This century is pretty young, you might mean the last century and Zenits? I for one, think it looks sturdy and purposeful.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Wow! They hired the same designer that did the AMC Gremlin. That's got to be THE ugliest camera I've ever seen and I'm including Miranda's and anything that came out of Russian this century. It's a real eye-catcher, but not in the good sense.

So you haven't seen the Ricoh GR series I take it?

Upvote 0
The G7x and G5x Cameras are amazingly powerful, compared to a standard APSC DSLR with a kit lens. Yes, the sensory are smaller but the brighter lenses compensate for it. for users who not need other than the kit lenses, they are valuable alternatives. Marketed properly, there should be a market for them.

maybe the manufacturers like better that the customers buy a DSLR in the hope that some customers get infected by GAS
and if you shoot performance, sometimes these types of cameras are the only ones venue approved. And they shoot surprising close to apsc dslrs in conditions where phone still shots are worthless.

Attachments

• larkin poe teragram may 18 2018 0620.jpg
    larkin poe teragram may 18 2018 0620.jpg
    626.7 KB · Views: 435
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
At least until smartphones get lenses with an effective aperture larger than 1cm. And even then, ergonomics of smartphones for shooting in low light sucks.

The ergonomics suck, but I'm able to get a stable 3 second exposure without OIS. I modified the APK for Google Night Sight to work on my old Moto and am absolutely blown away by the use of well designed software to improve low light exposures.

OIS and Sony quadbayer sensors combined with Google Night Side will be a game changer.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I'm able to get a stable 3 second exposure without OIS.

Evidently, since it merges frames each with shorter exposures - exposure calculated on how much the phone shakes.

Google Night Side will be a game changer.

Or maybe just a gimmick - as it does simulate a long exposure, and you have little control over the simulation.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
Since the shrinking market and volume for fixed compact camera trend to continue I think G7&G9x should be merge just into G7xm3 and the next to be announce G5X should have longer lens design given it's body and form should able to easily fit in it and the super long 1inch G3X rarely has any market left where their own SX series can easily overtake it in term of range or price except the trade off is smaller sensor size and image quality.

No way, G9 X is the smallest zoom camera with one inch sensor. It is a third lighter than G7 X and therefore much easier to carry.

Upvote 0
Evidently, since it merges frames each with shorter exposures - exposure calculated on how much the phone shakes.

Or maybe just a gimmick - as it does simulate a long exposure, and you have little control over the simulation.

Given that it can create a usable image in some instances where the normal camera cannot, I would call it a tool, not a gimmick.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Given that it can create a usable image in some instances where the normal camera cannot, I would call it a tool, not a gimmick.

It an also create unusable images where a normal camera would yield usable ones . Time will tell if software manipulation is good and generic enough, or it's just a workaround for lack of sensor/lens capabilities.

Did you notice the phones almost never advetise their ISO capabilities?

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
No, Canon released uglier cameras, as many others. Still some ugly cameras were excellent cameras, even innovative. Sometimes there are ergonomic and engineering constraints which may not leave much freedom to designers.
The G5X won't win any design awards, but it's comfortable to use, and it gives the user three control dials like bigger models. It's far easier to design a small, sleek body removing most controls - but it would become a far different camera, and much slower to use.
Let's see if the new model is more streamlined, but, frankly, if it's comfortable to use and takes great photos, who cares!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It's only a mere observation but if someone shot in the film world, pre digital, they might have a very different viewpoint of camera design. They had a tendency to appreciate the tools but did they covet them?

It's a 'Look at me' world these days and not a stretch to say we are more and more narcissistic than ever before. Some folks crave to be seen with their expensive goods, they might unfortunately define them...unlike the lyrics from the Fugazi song, many people ARE what they own.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It's only a mere observation but if someone shot in the film world, pre digital, they might have a very different viewpoint of camera design. They had a tendency to appreciate the tools but did they covet them?

It's a 'Look at me' world these days and not a stretch to say we are more and more narcissistic than ever before. Some folks crave to be seen with their expensive goods, they might unfortunately define them...unlike the lyrics from the Fugazi song, many people ARE what they own.
Myself, I regard them as tools. You want nice tools, but you do not define your craftsmanship by your tools.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
It's only a mere observation but if someone shot in the film world, pre digital, they might have a very different viewpoint of camera design

When cameras were mechanical devices, engineering constraints were even stronger. While metal construction back then didn't allow much for fancy designs with many rounded corners and surfaces. Many of the early SLR were quite ugly - and many medium format cameras as well. Still, they brought many welcomed enhancements - and photographers didn't care. After a while, most cameras followed the same design, as there weren't many ways to build one. With time, when electronics decoupled many functions, industrial design impacted cameras as well. Compare a Canon T70 with the T90, and the great leap is evident. But the main enhancements of the T90 was ergonomics, not just a more modern and appealing design.

IMHO the T70 is, from a design perspective, worse than the previous A models. It was a transition model, which lead to the T90 design that is still the design Canon follows for is DSLR. But in the EOS lineup there are some ugly cameras as well.

The G5X was probably a transition model too, and can be improved. But I hope they fix some of the shortcomings in the image creation process, and then think about design.

Upvote 0
The announcement seems taking abit longer than usual after some rumors and big event being held it's still MIA, does Canon still holding some inventory for the older model that resulting in the delay or could be they want to synchronize G7xM3 launching with it I really have no idea but I really hope it launch asap I have been waiting heck long for it.

Upvote 0
Are you still waiting? Sounds like we are in the same boat. G7X III is so far past due. Don’t want to buy the G7X II as it is on par with the RX100 III. Both the RX100 VA and VI are several steps ahead. Question is how much is Canon going to address in just an increment update? The lens, performance, AF, etc?

I wonder how far away it is from release. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Sony RX100 V or VI, but if either this or the G7X III get released in the next two months, I'll regret it.

Upvote 0
Are you still waiting? Sounds like we are in the same boat. G7X III is so far past due. Don’t want to buy the G7X II as it is on par with the RX100 III. Both the RX100 VA and VI are several steps ahead. Question is how much is Canon going to address in just an increment update? The lens, performance, AF, etc?

No. I bought a used one for $450 and it's a damn shame that we stand a real chance of getting this exact camera but with Canon menus and color science as the G7X III. Canon will have to do something absurd with the Mark III to get me to sell this and switch now. I use it in a SmallRig cage and with the Ninja V and it is taking over more and more work that my X-T3 (which I got over the EOS-R) usually does, typically for the easier daytime and product videos.

I hate to say it man but brand loyalty has done a lot of us a disservice. Should've just gone with the equipment that does what was needed from the start.

Upvote 0
I don’t believe in brand loyalty, more import to buy the best available product based on your needs at the time.

What do you wish you had gone with?

No. I bought a used one for $450 and it's a damn shame that we stand a real chance of getting this exact camera but with Canon menus and color science as the G7X III. Canon will have to do something absurd with the Mark III to get me to sell this and switch now. I use it in a SmallRig cage and with the Ninja V and it is taking over more and more work that my X-T3 (which I got over the EOS-R) usually does, typically for the easier daytime and product videos.

I hate to say it man but brand loyalty has done a lot of us a disservice. Should've just gone with the equipment that does what was needed from the start.

Upvote 0
I don’t believe in brand loyalty, more import to buy the best available product based on your needs at the time.

What do you wish you had gone with?

Happy with the current setup, but I continued to invest in Canon glass believing the big payoff was coming only to be let down in a big way. That being said, the ease of use really helped me take the plunge into video, so I'll always have a soft spot for them and will be keeping an eye out on future releases.

Upvote 0