The new RF-Lenses are to be seen at "The Photography Show"

Mar 25, 2011
I’ve stopped caring about these until I can buy them, Cano should be punched in the face for the “development announcement”:p
While I usually don't like development announcements, many want to know which lenses for the R and RP lenses are in the pipeline, so it is basically a short term roadmap and helps owners and buyers plan their purchases. Many R buyers may want to wait rather than buy a new EF lens if they don't need one immediately.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
While I usually don't like development announcements, many want to know which lenses for the R and RP lenses are in the pipeline, so it is basically a short term roadmap and helps owners and buyers plan their purchases. Many R buyers may want to wait rather than buy a new EF lens if they don't need one immediately.
I get that, but it still sucks:p

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
From the linked article:
Of particular note, the Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM is remarkably small – around two-thirds the size of the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM, only coming up to the focus ring of its EF counterpart when stood side by side. Again, the benefits of the smaller and lighter mirrorless system shine through.
Of course, the patent for the RF lens indicates it's an extending zoom, with a nearly 70mm increase in length (that's longer than the barrel extension of the 70-300L). If the patent dimensions are accurate, at full extension the RF lens will actually be physically longer than the EF 70-200/2.8 III. Based on those patent dimensions, the sensor-to-front-element distances of the EF on a DSLR and the RF on a R will be very close, meaning the 'benefits of the smaller and lighter mirrorless system" are, in this case, pretty much non-existent.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
From the linked article:

Of course, the patent for the RF lens indicates it's an extending zoom, with a nearly 70mm increase in length (that's longer than the barrel extension of the 70-300L). If the patent dimensions are accurate, at full extension the RF lens will actually be physically longer than the EF 70-200/2.8 III. Based on those patent dimensions, the sensor-to-front-element distances of the EF on a DSLR and the RF on a R will be very close, meaning the 'benefits of the smaller and lighter mirrorless system" are, in this case, pretty much non-existent.
The benefits definitely are in wide angle lenses, but I can see the shorter barrel being easier to store in my camera bag. My EF lens barely fits. I don't think I'd switch to the RF lens.

I really doubt that a fairly pricy RF 24-240 lens will be a kit lens with the RP. The 24-105L seems to be a bit over the top for a entry level camera. Its also a fairly large lens, so It may not be a walk-around lens for the masses. With a simple 35mm RF prime going for $450, its going to be 3X that price.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The benefits definitely are in wide angle lenses, but I can see the shorter barrel being easier to store in my camera bag. My EF lens barely fits.
Agreed, that’s why I went with the 70-300L as a travel zoom over the 70-200/4. But obviously the extending zoom design isn’t inherent to RF lenses.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Thanks for sharing.

Taking a look at that 24-70 IS - notice how it's zoomed to 70mm, but there's no extension of the barrel...is this an internal zooming lens?

I'm willing to bet the 70-200 is not one though. Actually, its design reminds me a lot of the EF 70-300L, a lens I like quite a bit actually due to its compactness. I can actually just squeeze the 5D and 70-300 into my regular-size camera bag whereas for the 70-200 2.8 and 100-400 I need my extra long bag...

Upvote 0