It looks like firmware v1.2.0 for the Canon EOS R will be released on April 18, 2019

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Last month it was announced that Canon would be releasing firmware v.1.2.0 for the Canon EOS R sometime in April.
Now, according to the Canon Canada web site, the firmware will be released on April 18, 2019.
Here’s a recap of what v1.2.0 will bring to the EOS R:
Enhancements:

Eye-detection AF

Supports Servo AF when shooting still images.
Now available when shooting movies regardless of “Movie Servo AF” setting.

Small AF Frame Size

Supports Servo...

Continue reading...

I thought Canon said they were going to be more aggressive with firmware updates. There's only been one update so far, which was extremely minor, and now this?

You know how you can make people happy Canon? You know, the people that took a leap of faith with your brand new product? NEW FEATURES. Improve the way the Mfn bar works! Add an intervelometer timer feature! Add a focus stacking feature! Improve your tracking algorithms!

The stuff in this update should have been there day 1.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
You know how you can make people happy Canon? You know, the people that took a leap of faith with your brand new product? NEW FEATURES. Improve the way the Mfn bar works! Add an intervelometer timer feature! Add a focus stacking feature! Improve your tracking algorithms!

I and many other Canon professionals are happy with firmware updates that don't brick our camera or change it's longevity. Many of us choose reliability over features. The most reliable intervelometers are external and give me a much wider range of features. Yes, it would be great to have this on my backup EOS R, but I would rather Canon focuses their engineering on making these into workhorses, not feature ponies.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I thought Canon said they were going to be more aggressive with firmware updates. There's only been one update so far, which was extremely minor, and now this?

The stuff in this update should have been there day 1.
Canon is an extremely conservative company. They move slowly, and they produce cameras that are not exciting. Those cameras have great ergonomics and work reliably with no surprises. That is what professionals want, and if we consider their market share, it seems to be what the masses want.

If you want the latest and greatest gadgetry and features, look at Olympus or Panasonic. Canon is not for you. If you want a camera that is easy to use and works, go Canon!

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I and many other Canon professionals are happy with firmware updates that don't brick our camera or change it's longevity. Many of us choose reliability over features. The most reliable intervelometers are external and give me a much wider range of features. Yes, it would be great to have this on my backup EOS R, but I would rather Canon focuses their engineering on making these into workhorses, not feature ponies.

The intervalometer feature is a bit of an off one out though, a number of other Canon cameras have this (6dmk2, 5dmk4, rp?) so surely it wouldn't break reliability? It's always nice to have it there as a backup. Other features may be more difficult sure but even then, Canon have done updates before without breaking things, for example the af at f8 in the 5dmk3 ?

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
The intervalometer feature is a bit of an off one out though, a number of other Canon cameras have this (6dmk2, 5dmk4, rp?) so surely it wouldn't break reliability? It's always nice to have it there as a backup. Other features may be more difficult sure but even then, Canon have done updates before without breaking things, for example the af at f8 in the 5dmk3 ?

I'm not a software or hardware engineer. I cannot speak on the board and servo differences inside the EOS R over the 5Dmk4. Maybe there is a power issue with the curtain shutter that doesn't exist on the RP that can cause 5% of the bodies to lose shutter longevity, who knows. I do know from years of using electronic devices, not every update works as intended. Sometimes you get a feature, but 6 months later learn that the firmware change has caused a fault elsewhere and doomed your equipment.

Point is, I would rather them take their time to add it properly, or use an external before compromising the performance of the tool that makes me a living.

Upvote 0
Canon is an extremely conservative company. They move slowly, and they produce cameras that are not exciting. Those cameras have great ergonomics and work reliably with no surprises. That is what professionals want, and if we consider their market share, it seems to be what the masses want.

If you want the latest and greatest gadgetry and features, look at Olympus or Panasonic. Canon is not for you. If you want a camera that is easy to use and works, go Canon!
By that logic they should at least get Nikon then.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan

Great that you're satisfied, but not sure what that has to do with other Canon customers who would like a bit more for their own purposes. Many of those same customers believe that reliability and features are not mutually exclusive.

Personally, I agree with you. I love Canon's quality and reliability. I'm generally satisfied with the features my bodies have. But I'll never defend their slow, conservative pace for adding features. It's not my place as a customer. Nor do I believe it's about their incapability to implement cutting edge features properly, as much as it's about wanting to get as much profit on older technology as they can so they'll still have something to sell us next product cycle. Always leave 'em wanting more...

Upvote 0

epiieq1

EOS 5D III, 1DX
Aug 9, 2013

But if this was the case, then this camera would have dual card slots, no? If it's truly a pro body then it's a disappointment (I shoot wedding/portrait work and always use dual slots), if it's not, then Canon needs to take some chances and show that they can compete with the whippersnappers that are trying to woo others away. By not taking chances here, it's telling everyone that they really are just talking and not changing like they said they'd would (being more aggressive). I've been all Canon since I really got back into Photography, but with my experience in tech (software side), I'm starting to see behaviors that monolithic companies rode into the sunset on while the ones that rapidly responded to change made it out. Yes, we want reliability, BUT, if Canon doesn't have full suites of automated testing/regression testing at this point? They're going to be out of luck anyways.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
One of the most annoying aspects of modern phones, tablets and PCs is that "free" feature updates often have unintended, negative consequences. I do not want my camera to be that way. I don't want the Microsoft/Google/Apple model of annual or bi-annual feature updates that might render my camera less useful, or introduce some annoying aspect that I can't roll back.

Upvote 0
One of the most annoying aspects of modern phones, tablets and PCs is that "free" feature updates often have unintended, negative consequences. I do not want my camera to be that way. I don't want the Microsoft/Google/Apple model of annual or bi-annual feature updates that might render my camera less useful, or introduce some annoying aspect that I can't roll back.

Just don't install it then.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
By not taking chances here, it's telling everyone that they really are just talking and not changing like they said they'd would (being more aggressive).

I have to disagree with you based on Canon's new and upcoming products. We've already seen what most agree to be amazing glass coming from the development of the new RF mount, and two very good (though not pro) FF bodies. The glass scheduled to be released at the end of 2019 adds to the arsenal, and if...here's the big if...Canon releases the pro-level R body in 2020 with IBIS and dual card slots which they have been hinting at, and pros have been waiting for, they'll be in a great position. I visualize them pulling back the slingshot right now, getting ready to move forward rapidly in 2020 and beyond.

Upvote 0

epiieq1

EOS 5D III, 1DX
Aug 9, 2013
I have to disagree with you based on Canon's new and upcoming products. We've already seen what most agree to be amazing glass coming from the development of the new RF mount, and two very good (though not pro) FF bodies. The glass scheduled to be released at the end of 2019 adds to the arsenal, and if...here's the big if...Canon releases the pro-level R body in 2020 with IBIS and dual card slots which they have been hinting at, and pros have been waiting for, they'll be in a great position. I visualize them pulling back the slingshot right now, getting ready to move forward rapidly in 2020 and beyond.
And yet this article has statements that make me doubt IBIS will be in this body. Also, the 6 lenses this year are paper launches. Yes, I have no doubt Canon will release great glass, BUT, the body to me is the big question.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016

Amen! someone that sees beyond all the glitterly flashy lights that people think they need these days.

Upvote 0

These are not radical features like “apps on my camera!” I am suggesting here. It’s definitely possible to have both neat features and reliability, after all, MANY OF THESE FEATURES ARE ALREADY IN OTHER CANON MODELS.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I just picked up the R last weekend and traded in my 5DIII for it. I take photos as a hobby. I'm not anything close to a professional, so I would love to see them continue to upgrade the autofocus and other features that help me take better photographs. Anything that helps improve the ratio of "keepers" to "throw-aways." Sony just released firmware for the A7III and A7RIII that improves their eye autofocus even more, to include dogs and cats. I get that Canon is conservative, but I'd love to see more innovation. The argument of professional need versus consumer want is pretty much moot. I'm not sure that Canon's gross sales figures care about the difference between professional and amateur dollars. If it improves the cameras and sells, they should consider it. Sony has sold a lot of feature ponies...

Upvote 0