A couple of EOS R cameras that can be considered “pro” are in the pipeline [CR1]

Oct 29, 2012
I'm a 5D IV shooter who wants a FF mirrorless with the same or better capabilities. I'd love to start using Rf glass, but I don't want to step down or buy a high-MP count sensor. Doubt I'm the only such customer. In the meantime, I can take great pics with the dSLR and legacy Ef lenses.
I have both. The current EOS R does exactly that. In fact, it's better than the 5D4 in lots of ways for landscape shooting, which is what I do. Only potential concerns I have/had are:

1. weather sealing is good, but not as good as the 5D4
  2. second card slot for some users

So if it's really wet I use the 5D4, otherwise I'll take the R anytime. The files are no different than the 5D4 in terms of post processing latitude. The latest firmware solved the banding I read about but never noticed.

Despite what you read, I would have NO hesitation to getting an R, especially now that's it under 2K. (This is as a stills shooter; I shoot video on my phone so I cannot comment there)

The R/5D4 makes a great body combo right now, and I plan to slowly get a few RF lenses as they come out. No rush, as all EF glass works great with adapter. When the hi-res R is released, I'll switch over to RF totally and my R becomes second body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I would imagine an obvious target is the 5DS/r replacement not the 5D MKIV for the high resolution camera. I use my 5DS almost exclusively for portraiture, Ive not found it easy using the EOS R as a portrait camera with the lag in the viewfinder being an annoyance when taking a sequence of shots so they will need to overcome this.
The layout of controls needs to mimic the 5D line as well not the present EOS R layout or lack of toggle switch.
The EOS R has its merits, its certainly a good landscape camera, its certainly lighter yet feels good in larger hands. The pictures are perfectly fine (identical to the 5D MKIV) but the Touch Bar is tech for tech sake (a bit like Apple Touch Bar).

Im sure it will have 4K at least as good as if not better than the 5D MKIV (lost on me I dont shoot video). Time will tell!
they say the evf works better with native rf lenses.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
How does a 'Full frame 7D' differ from a 5D series camera??

Traditionally, the 7D has had faster frame rate, better weathersealing and improved autofocus over whatever the current generation of 5D happens to have. However, with the current generation of 5D, there isn't a lot of room for improvement, other than the frame rate, so your point is valid.

If Canon are taking the EOS R, and 'pro-ing it up a bit' - then putting it to market with a 'high resolution' sensor and a 'low/medium resolution' sensor - that is your 5Ds and 5D equilivent cameras right there.

Yes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Interested in a prosumer body. If it would happen to be the 7DII replacement, is it going to be full frame? Or APS-C in a R body? What I am looking forward in a 2 years period is a 5DIV replacement, not a companion camera the R itself is.

I'm guessing a full frame 28mp sensor with around 10 fps mirror lenss camera. It would occupy the same retail space / price point that a DSLR 7DIII would have but effectively be a new line of camera. It's a cheaper camera for Canon to make due to the lack of prism manufacturing / engineering so Canon could easily pocket the money or pass the reduce pricing on to the customer very easily too. A camera like that with 5Dmk4 quality sensor might well cause me to pull the trigger on one my self! In fact having a high resolution model (aka 5Dsr) and a sports model (aka 1Dx lite) then it negates the need for a 5D series camera on the RF mount at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I still would like to see a 7D-mark3.

This would be nice, but I do not believe it anymore

I'm still hoping. Until a full frame (either DSLR or Mirrorless) hits about 40-45 mp with 10-12 fps, there will be a need for the 7D series. I think we are still a generation or two away from that.

Upvote 0
Traditionally, the 7D has had faster frame rate, better weathersealing and improved autofocus over whatever the current generation of 5D happens to have. However, with the current generation of 5D, there isn't a lot of room for improvement, other than the frame rate, so your point is valid.
Yes.
The 7D brought the newer User Interface and Ergonomics that the 5DIII had. Although it only had 19 AF points...It paved the way for the later 61 point AF system. It's only weakness was the very poor sensor. Other than that the 7D was truly a revolution for Canon. It allowed the 5DIII and 1Dx (which were developed in tandem) to trail blaze the mk4, 7DII and 1DxII.
I'm guessing flipping the 7Dx' line over to the RF system, Canon will use (what every they decided to call it) it to add development $$$ to the RF range. A continuous AF system that actually works and can cope with a high frame rate...and improved ergos....we all know the RF line REALLY needs some decent ergonomics!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
How does a 'Full frame 7D' differ from a 5D series camera??

If Canon are taking the EOS R, and 'pro-ing it up a bit' - then putting it to market with a 'high resolution' sensor and a 'low/medium resolution' sensor - that is your 5Ds and 5D equilivent cameras right there.
The 7D is a sports camera who 's main feature is high FPS. To achieve high fps with dual pixel sensors is apparently a difficult issue, that needs lots of processing horsepower along with a fast readout sensor. That usually means lower resolution, the same reasons a 1DX camera has lower resolution.

The 5D series was originally evolved as a "Wedding" camera but has come to be accepted as a all around tool for high end photographers. It does not have fast FPS, but is setup to work for many situations and has higher resolution.

I expect one new version to be a 60-100mp version of the R perhaps with a larger body and more features as well as a big price. A replacement for the 5DS R?

Those are cameras aimed at entirely different purposes.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I used to say things like this before I switched over to Sony. It is pure denial.

Canon's strategy is mind boggling as lots of sports shooters have moved to Sony Mirrorless. [emphasis added]

Canon's 'strategy' issued from the technology it had at hand. That technology was a constraint it had to face in order to develop the sensor and processing technology able to compete with Sony. It's 'strategy,' therefore, was to develop the sensors needed to compete. When they are ready, Canon can be expected to put them in their cameras.

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
I'm patiently waiting for a 5D-equivalent R-body. I absolutely love my 5DM3 and while I am quite excited with what Canon is doing (particularly with the R-lenses) I want a 5D-equivalent R-body that doesn't sacrifice what my 5D dSLR is so good at. Battery life, joystick, dials, and instant-on/click performance.

I'm happy with the current resolution of the 5DM4. I'm not interested in massive pixels.

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
"Pro" for Canon is an excuse to put the price even higher. The EOS R is grossly overpriced for what it is and these cameras will no doubt continue the trend. For 2 or 3 other manufacturers you can get great dynamic range, IBIS, excellent video features, dual card slots (in 2), fast FPS and more for £1600-£2000. The EOS R gives you none of that for £2350. It's not a bad camera but it's a very overpriced camera. If they reduced it to around £1400-£1500 it would make way for a £2000ish camera that can actually compete in specs vs price.

Upvote 0
Who will be the first to whine about I don't know what? :ROFLMAO:

===

If it ain't a 50 megapixel medium format sensor combined stills and video camera with at least 60 fps DCI 8K and 120 fps DCI 4K video at 16 bits per colour channel THEN it is TRULY DEAD in the water and YES --- CANON is DOOOOOOOOOOOMED !!!!!!!

--

I should note however that a sub-$100 smartphone took THESE PHOTOS BELOW which means you really DO NOT have to spend $6000+ on a pro-level stills/video camera at all !!!

AND YES that was SNOW on May 5 and May 6, 2019 just a few days ago in and near Calgary, Alberta, Canada where 2019 will be remembered as the year where Winter Never Went Away!

Attachments

• Calgary Winter that Won't Go Away - May 5, 2019 - Winter Lake.png
    Calgary Winter that Won't Go Away - May 5, 2019 - Winter Lake.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 243
  • Calgary Winter that Won't Go Away - May 5, 2019 - Truckers' Winter.png
    Calgary Winter that Won't Go Away - May 5, 2019 - Truckers' Winter.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 232
  • Calgary Winter that Won't Go Away - May 5, 2019 - Truly a Winter City.png
    Calgary Winter that Won't Go Away - May 5, 2019 - Truly a Winter City.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 216
  • Calgary Winter that Won't Go Away - May 5, 2019 - Castles of Rock.png
    Calgary Winter that Won't Go Away - May 5, 2019 - Castles of Rock.png