Sony is Doomed!

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Could not resist the title. Photorumors has new BCN results and compares them to previous months, showing that Sony's full frame mirrorless market share has dropped significantly, while Canon is on the rise. Not bad considering all the grief Canon takes on this forum for not having a "professional" full frame mirrorless.

Mar 25, 2011
Everyone realizes that with Canon and Nikon now producing FF mirrorless cameras that Sony can not mathematically be 100% any longer. It will take at least another year, more likely 3 years before the figures tell a accurate story. Everyone is going to do their best to outsell the others, so we will be the ones who benefit via more selection and lower prices.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Sony's market share was doomed to take a hit simply because they are no longer the only big brand in that category. What would really be interesting would be to know if their unit sales numbers have suffered. Don't know if we'll ever know that for any brand, but the camera division's financials might give a clue next year.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... Sony can not mathematically be 100% any longer. It will take at least another year, more likely 3 years before the figures tell a accurate story.
Esp. as Canon and Nikon are just beginning to built up their FF ML portfolio.

To me the EOS RP was a strong move from Canon offering FF ML to a lot of people that cannot afford or justify the (much) more expensive or outdated options.
Now only the affordable RF lenses are missing... and the reaction of the competition!

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Yes, Sony loosing FFML sales to Canon / Nikon was obviously going to hit the numbers once Canon / Nikon started selling FFML cameras, simple maths says Sony can no longer be 100%!
But I gathered this was a bit ‘tongue in cheek’ by the statement ‘could not resist the title’! Don’t take all the fun out of poking the bear (fan boy)!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I recently saw a headline that the RP sales has suddenly plummeted after initial great numbers. I didn’t read anything else, but now it would probably be interesting if anyone had some info around that claim.

That was last months BCN numbers for March:

You can see how the RP clearly dropped a lot during March, after the initial release, but now seems to have stayed steady during April; and even clawed back a little.

I suspect the RP will be a sleeper hit; as people gradually realise that all the rhetoric against it was basically just trash talk.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
The RP needs a matching lens to sell well.
It looks to me as though Canon has settled on 24-105 as the market sweet spot for focal range for a normal walk around FF zoom, and they already have several out there. Unless something shorter and less expensive might capitalize on the small size of the RP. Some patents along those lines have shown up

Upvote 0