Unreleased Canon Cinema EOS camera used for 8K capture at WWDC

Jun 29, 2017
This is one of the most advanced monitors that you can purchase. It weighs nearly 17lbs. A $1000 stand that effortlessly lets you attach and detach for transport (this is why your Mac Pro can roll), adjust height, and rotate isn't that absurd. The engineering to make this happen without locks, pins, buttons, or notches is impressive. I'm sure there will be a lower cost third party solution by time it releases.

If you want one of the most advanced computing systems available, you pay the premium. The Mac Pro should always be the flagship to which everyone else is measured to. For those who need these specs, the cost is no issue.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
The entry level 2013 MacPro for $2999 was great for photographers and even video guys who were doing 1080p and even 4k. If you needed something for 3D graphic rendering and whatnot, you could step up from there. Now it's as if the basic photo and video guys are off the table (full time professional Hollywood grade production houses excluded from this statement). We still have needs beyond what a regular machine can deliver, but we don't need a $6000-$50,000 machine either. I could have committed even if the new MacPro arrived at an entry point of $3999... But $5999 ?!?! It's makes the MacMini decked out with an EGPU far more appealing.

Buy an iMac Pro.

The professionals using this tower are rendering 3D scenes to be composited into feature films, or accessing terabytes of large format photos for commercial use. This is for advanced professional computing that demands expansion and processing multiple workflows simultaneously.

My non-pro 2015 5K iMac handles all my video and photo work fine. When I start coloring 8k files from a multi-camera broadcast television show, I’ll upgrade to a new Mac Pro.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Buy an iMac Pro.

The professionals using this tower are rendering 3D scenes to be composited into feature films, or accessing terabytes of large format photos for commercial use. This is for advanced professional computing that demands expansion and processing multiple workflows simultaneously.

My non-pro 2015 5K iMac handles all my video and photo work fine. When I start coloring 8k files from a multi-camera broadcast television show, I’ll upgrade to a new Mac Pro.
I don't want/need another super monitor. I just wanted a body. Which is why I'd hoped we would see an ENTRY level MacPro with specs similar to an entry level iMacPro minus the $1000 screen. Hence, a base iMacPro without a monitor at $3999 that can be upgraded. Even $4499 .... But no, $5999 is the START point. That's what gets me.

And this is now what I'm thinking about marrying to my 2013 MacPro, (regular 2019) iMac, and MacBook Pro....
(It IS compatible to the 2013 MacPro if use strap it to the Thunderbolt 2/3 apple adapter). This isn't a "gonna buy it tomorrow" thing. But I'm thinking this is my best upgrade option:

https://www.sonnetstore.com/products/egfx-breakaway-box-650-wx9100-bundle

Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
Meanwhile the new MacPro STARTS at $6000.... Oh the monitor? Yeah that's $5000? Need a stand for it? Just a stick? Another $1000. Hilarious... I had hoped to upgrade my MacPro... but nope

This monitor is not your everyday monitor purchased in a computer store. This is a reference-level monitor that competes with monitors that cost at least $18,000 and beyond. So in reality, this monitor is a bargain in the industry.

Funny that we don't hear from people complaining about the prices of those monitors, but put on an Apple logo, then everyone is an armchair engineering critic.

Upvote 0
I'd say the take-away from WWD should be "Apple recommits to MacOS". Everything else is just gear which will sort itself out. There is a lot of pent up demand for powerful Mac gear. Once Apple is done overcharging the early adopters we might see a mid-range offering.

Personally I'll wait to see what 3rd party support looks like before I'd consider buying a user configurable Mac. Apple has burned many 3rd party developers over the years so they might be hesitant to even provide MacOS driver support let alone Mac specific hardware.

It's a very positive development in Macintosh land but we won't know how it shakes out for a few years. If Apple rolls this out and then abandons it in a year or two than I'd say nothing has changed. I've got a perfectly fine 2017 5K iMac so I'll be watching and waiting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
This is one of the most advanced monitors that you can purchase. It weighs nearly 17lbs. A $1000 stand that effortlessly lets you attach and detach for transport (this is why your Mac Pro can roll), adjust height, and rotate isn't that absurd. The engineering to make this happen without locks, pins, buttons, or notches is impressive. I'm sure there will be a lower cost third party solution by time it releases.

If you want one of the most advanced computing systems available, you pay the premium. The Mac Pro should always be the flagship to which everyone else is measured to. For those who need these specs, the cost is no issue.

Yeah this stand isn't just a stand, it looks like it is pretty useful.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
All of the major video camera makers are aiming at the 2020 Olympics. They have been working with NHK in Japan for years.

NHK skipped over brodcasting 4K and wants to go to 8K for broadcast. Canon will be upgrading broadcast lenses to 8K as well as producing 8K cameras.

I expect that Sony will continue to have the lion's share of the camera business while Canon and Fujii sell the most lenses.

I expect to hear a lot more about 8K in the next year as manufacturers are working hard to get everything in place for 2020.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I would imagine that having 8k in the cinema line would mean that canon will stop limiting the 4k Ability in the stills line of cameras. But then we will just have to put up with everyone who doesn't have the Ability to make use of 8k start complaining about the canon stills cameras not having that.

• Haha
Upvote 0
We still have needs beyond what a regular machine can deliver, but we don't need a $6000-$50,000 machine either. I could have committed even if the new MacPro arrived at an entry point of $3999... But $5999 ?!?! It's makes the MacMini decked out with an EGPU far more appealing.

Just curious, what are those needs that a regular machine can't deliver? Why not get a mini or MBP with an eGPU? I run a 2018 MBP with an eGPU. I've built PC's for many years including a dual xeon hackintosh that I used as my primary workstation for 8 years. The MBP is by far my favorite machine I've ever used. As a wedding videographer, I'm not the target market for the new Pro and there's no way I would need that power for my work. Wouldn't mind the ProRes accelerator card though...

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
I don't want/need another super monitor. I just wanted a body. Which is why I'd hoped we would see an ENTRY level MacPro with specs similar to an entry level iMacPro minus the $1000 screen. Hence, a base iMacPro without a monitor at $3999 that can be upgraded. Even $4499 .... But no, $5999 is the START point. That's what gets me.

And this is now what I'm thinking about marrying to my 2013 MacPro, (regular 2019) iMac, and MacBook Pro....
(It IS compatible to the 2013 MacPro if use strap it to the Thunderbolt 2/3 apple adapter). This isn't a "gonna buy it tomorrow" thing. But I'm thinking this is my best upgrade option:

https://www.sonnetstore.com/products/egfx-breakaway-box-650-wx9100-bundle

Great, the trash can Mac Pro still has more computing power than you need. Apple makes flagship devices for all their other line ups. The Mac needed to be elevated to where the professionals have been demanding. Now they can keep adding features to Logic and FCP so we can keep making magic.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Just curious, what are those needs that a regular machine can't deliver? Why not get a mini or MBP with an eGPU? I run a 2018 MBP with an eGPU. I've built PC's for many years including a dual xeon hackintosh that I used as my primary workstation for 8 years. The MBP is by far my favorite machine I've ever used. As a wedding videographer, I'm not the target market for the new Pro and there's no way I would need that power for my work. Wouldn't mind the ProRes accelerator card though...

Thats exactly what Im considering (egpu and mini). I mentioned that in another post. I have a MBP now as well. Regardless of all the discussion, it’s still a rather shocking 100% increase for the entry level compared to 6 years ago.

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
I know several people who will be preordering the Mac Pro. This thing is aimed directly at production houses and big creative firms who need this power and every second you save rendering or not having to proxy your media is money in the bank.

I'm sure down the line there might be a low/mid spec version but right now apple is aiming for the top.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
TheVerge figures it will cost about $35K to top it out but that's before GPUs and displays, which should bring it to about $50k.
Big bucks for sure. However, that won't stop the complainers who'll never even see one, much less buy one. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I can buy an ABSOLUTE PERFORMANCE WAY-BEYOND-EQUAL system to this Apple Pro for a MUCH CHEAPER amount which has BETTER SPECS, more CPU and GPU horsepower and is FAAAAAAAR more flexible and upgradeable!

---
Dell UltraSharp 32 inch 8K Monitor: UP3218K (7680 by 4320 pixels resolution): $3419 US
---
Professional Monitor Colour Calibration and Printer Matching System:
Datacolor Spyder5PRO – Designed for Serious Photographers and Designers (SXP100) : $170 US
---
AMD Threadripper 2990wx CPU 3GHZ at $1748 US
---
ASRock X399 Professional Gaming sTR4 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1/3.0
10 gigabit ethernet builtin on ATX AMD Motherboard = $400 US
---
Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM AIO Liquid CPU Cooler,240mm,
Dual ML120 PRO RGB PWM Fans,Intel 115x/2066,AMD AM4/TR4 : $130 US
---
CORSAIR AXi Series, AX1600i, 1600 Watt, 80+ Titanium Certified,
Fully Modular Digital Power Supply for motherboard and peripherals: $410 US
---
256 gigabytes of DDR4 RAM if motherboard BIOS is updated to latest release.
256 gigabytes of DDR4 RAM
https://www.amazon.com/256GB-4x64GB-288-Pin-Reduced-Memory/dp/B07JN1TR3N/ref=sr_1_1 = $2117 US
---
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E4T0B/AM) = $600 per drive
Need four of these SSD drives so $2400 US for 16 terabytes of Internal SSD storage.
---
External Storage Array Box: Drives are sold separately
Drobo 8D 8-Drive Direct Attached Storage (DAS) Array - Dual Thunderbolt 3 Ports (DRDR7A21) = $1300 US
---
Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA
6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache for RAID Network Attached Storage (ST8000VN0022) = $220 US per drive

need 8 of these drives for to fully populate above storage array = $1760 US
for 64 terabytes of external network storage
---
AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 Graphics Card - 1.50 GHz Core - 16 GB = $1700 each
Need TWO of them to handle multiple 8K video streams in realtime = $3500 for TWO
---
SADES Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo,Wired Keyboard with
Orange Lights and Mouse with 4 Adjustable DPI for Gaming,for PC/laptop/win7/win8/win10;
https://www.amazon.com/SADES-Gaming-Keyboard-Orange-Adjustable/dp/B07BKRWF81/ref=sr_1_3 = $30 US
---
High end gaming and editing headphones
HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset - 7.1 Surround Sound -
Memory Foam Ear Pads, Durable Aluminum Frame - Multi Platform Headset -
Works with PC, PS4, PS4 PRO, Xbox One, Xbox One S - Red (KHX-HSCP-RD) = $88 US
---
BEST computer case ever
CORSAIR Graphite 780T Full-Tower Case- White: $180 US
---
Professional Wide format professional photo printer bundle:
Epson Artisan 1430 Wireless 13x19 Printer+Refill Ink Cartridges+600ml Dye Ink Bundle: $1100 US
---
Windows 10 Professional Operating system on
USB Flash Drive English Language | Full Product: $140 US
---
CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2019
with high end Photo Editor and Organizer,
2D/3D Vector Graphics : $550 US - One-time fee with NO monthly charges
---
Corel Video Studio Pro Timeline Editor : $50 US - One-time fee with NO monthly charges
Pretty close to Blackmagic Resolve in editing power but quite a bit easier to use for beginner to intermediate users:

APC Uninterruptible Backup Power Supply, SMT2200C, APC Smart-UPS 2200VA LCD 120V : $1750 US
---

As you can see here EVERYTHING is WORKSTATION CLASS and OBLITERATES the Apple + Intel Solution!

So for a Windows 10 Professional, AMD Threadripper System with 32 cores and 64 threads and 256 gigabytes of DDR4 System RAM, 16 Terabytes of INTERNAL SSD storage and 64 Terabytes of 6GB per second RAID External Drive Storage
TWO of the 16 Gigabyte Workstation Class AMD WX9100 GPU's powering a 7680 by 4320 pixels resolution 10-bit HDR 8K monitor, professional-level 2D/3D Paint and Vector graphics creation and pro-level video editing software bundle (I use the Corel products all the time), a high-end, high-resolution gaming keyboard, mouse and headset, a pro-level colour calibration system and an Epson professional wide format colour inkjet printer, ALL protected by a 1900 Watt APC UPS battery-back power protection system FOR ONLY:

Total Cost: $19,394 US

which is $35,000 CHEAPER than Apple's fully topped out system AND it
gives you FAR MORE GRAPHICS PROCESSING POWER BANG FOR THE BUCK !!!

Which system would YOU rather buy ???

Last edited:
Upvote 0