What about that EF 200-600mm f/4.5-5.6 IS from Canon?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
They could make bargain one prime 500 5,6 for M mount . Plastic and simple 7 lens construction like old 400mm 5,6 :)
that would be cool . Or zoom with minimal lens adding.
I tried the 100-400mm II on the M5, but the body is too small for me to hold comfortably. I need something as big as a 5D, 7D, or 80D series to hold to balance the lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
I tried the 100-400mm II on the M5, but the body is too small for me to hold comfortably. I need something as big as a 5D, 7D, or 80D series to hold to balance the lens.
They definitely need make light big flagship M camera for european male hands too. like 7d shaped but plastic camera without weather seal.
Canon could divide 7d line to two ,M camera like 7d but light , And Rugged R serie 7 for hard enviroment users.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
They definitely need make light big flagship M camera for european male hands too. like 7d shaped but plastic camera without weather seal.
Canon could divide 7d line to two ,M camera like 7d but light , And Rugged R serie 7 for hard enviroment users.

Kinda like Olympus did?

Upvote 0
After waiting patiently for over two years (since the first rumors of a canon super zoom) I finally decided on the Tamron 150-600. It's a good enough lens that I've also decided maybe Tamron would be a good choice for other focal lengths - the 70-200 f2.8 in particular. Nearly equal optics at 50% of the Canon price is a powerful motivator.
Most of us knew it was vapourware, I certainly haven’t been waiting.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Vaporware implies the product was announced, then neither released nor cancelled. In this case, the lens was merely rumored.

Quite a few people on this site seem to think that a CR1 rumor means that Canon has promised to do something soon. For them, a CR1 rumor can make something seem like vaporware if it doesn't happen. Admittedly, it can be hard to keep it all straight, but it is helpful to remember that if it is a CR1 rumor, most likely Canon didn't have much to do with starting that rumor. Generally speaking, if Canon says it is going to do something, it isn't a rumor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
isnt olympus like 7d but without mirror?
Olympus cant make cheaper plastic version without weather sealing like canon could cause they got 2 mount what wont compete
I was referring to the strangely huge (for a crop sensor cameram especially Micro 4/3) Olympus OM-D E-M1X .

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
I was referring to the strangely huge (for a crop sensor cameram especially Micro 4/3) Olympus OM-D E-M1X .
Yeah it tries be 1dx2 with two battery grip and double buttons :) Its their 1 model.
i think lightness is one of crop cameras advantages . M and RP little battery is good enough for me .
Not so imposible thing to change battery after 200 shot or 2h .

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Quite a few people on this site seem to think that a CR1 rumor means that Canon has promised to do something soon. For them, a CR1 rumor can make something seem like vaporware if it doesn't happen. Admittedly, it can be hard to keep it all straight, but it is helpful to remember that if it is a CR1 rumor, most likely Canon didn't have much to do with starting that rumor. Generally speaking, if Canon says it is going to do something, it isn't a rumor.

Rumorware?

A product or feature that follows a predictable pattern from suggestion, to expectation to accusation of a broken promise all without any participation, encouragement or even awareness from the manufacturer that the feature or product has been rumored.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The question I would have with a lens of this nature is, what quality would it have that would steer me away from my Sigma Contemporary 150-600. In terms of size and weight, and price, it's hard to beat.

I mean, that's where many of us birders are at. Something long, adequate brightness (well, I'd like a larger aperture, but not at the cost of weight), easy to carry, and reasonably sharp.

My 150-600 isn't quite as sharp as my 100-400, but in order to get close to 600 with the Canon, I need to deal with an f/8 lens. While the cameras will focus at f/8, you're giving up light which translates into either a slower shutter or higher ISO. In darker scenes, that is a problem.
But it seems the :love:100-400 L IS II :love:has one of the very best IS available, I quite often use mine at 400 mm and "crazy" shutter speeds, like 1/30th, without any issues! So, F.8 with the 1,4 X extender is not a problem.
I would not even think of using a Sigma instead!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
But it seems the :love:100-400 L IS II :love:has one of the very best IS available, I quite often use mine at 400 mm and "crazy" shutter speeds, like 1/30th, without any issues! So, F.8 with the 1,4 X extender is not a problem.
I would not even think of using a Sigma instead!
I find the IS on my 100-400mm II at least a stop better than on my Sigma 150-600mm C. Also the Canon stabilises the image in the viewfinder much better - it is rock solid stable but that from the Sigma wobbles around, even after tweaking. The IS on the zoom also seems slightly better than that on my 400mm DO II.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
I am with you on the Canon 100-400, it was my favorite and most used. The new Sony 200-600 is only a G series and would not be expected to be as sharp or expensive as it's GM cousins. Don't be fooled by the white body, there is a difference in price and expected performance. The Sony GMs are more aligned to L glass and usually cost a bit more. Actually all the Sony glass is kind of expensive so it was a bit of a surprise at the 2k cost of this 200-600 offering.

Competition is a good thing.

with you both on the 100-400, such a beautiful lens, very hard to beat! Its sharper upscalled to 600mm then any of the consumer 150-600mm lenses available. Plus its very fast and easy walk around. Would take a lot for me to part with it. Only gripe with it is 400mm limit but you can never have it all can you.
The dream would be for canon to build a 200-500mm 5.6 that is same quality s the 100-400

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Lol this is a pathetic thread.. i m currently drooling over sony's new lenses..
Don't get too excited. Sony is 31 years behind Canon with a 600mm. It will take a century for Sony to catch up. Sony is doomed. ;) (Pure sarcasm from the perspective of Sony trolls who make such stupid statements about Canon in the mirrorless world.) :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Its funny how people always find a way to defend Canon, no matter what. The truth is that Sony suddenly has better option with the 200-600.
The truth? Huh? Hmmmm... Better how? Asking for a friend, because he wants to know if there is a Sony to EF / or Sony to RF adapter... because somebody told him the Sony lens is better. He doesn't know why it is supposed to be better, but he saw somebody type it up on a forum before the lens was ever even released and knows he can always trust forum dwellers when they say something is better... even when those dwellers have zero experience with the product. Again: ZERO EXPERIENCE WITH THE PRODUCT. :rolleyes: (Like people who bash the 6D Mark II / RP and have never even seen one)

Sony is ANOTHER option. Better? How the hell does anyone even know yet? And in what way? They don't. However, it will not be a BETTER option for Canon shooters... ever.

Just because a lens get 200mm longer reach at the long end doesn't mean the thing is "better" for everyone. Especially if it turns out to be crap at 600mm. One is also losing 100mm at the short end. Depending on the use case, that could also be important to people. Yes, even birders and wildlife folks. It isn't defending Canon when people figure out that the bashers have never used the products they herald as the greatest new thing, or stomp on products they have never used. That's just calling out their fake knowledge or fake facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The new Sony 200-600 is only a G series and would not be expected to be as sharp or expensive as it's GM cousins. Don't be fooled by the white body, there is a difference in price and expected performance. The Sony GMs are more aligned to L glass and usually cost a bit more. Actually all the Sony glass is kind of expensive so it was a bit of a surprise at the 2k cost of this 200-600 offering.

I have to disagree about a G lens not expected to be as sharp as a GM lens. Obviously no one really knows at this point exactly how sharp the 200-600 will be except the few who have tested it, but the MTF shows it should be nearly as sharp as the 100-400 GM which is sharper than the Canon 100-400 II. The Sony 24-105 G is probably the sharpest 24-105 on the market (yes, sharper than the Sigma 24-105 A). One of the reviewers stated the focus speed of the 200-600 was nearly as fast as the 600 f/4, and it's also nearly completely weather sealed and the only lens in this category that is internally zooming. Sony mentioned in an interview that most of the cost savings and G designation came from not using magnesium-alloy in the body or the new XD linear autofocus. It also lacks a super ED lens element.

I do agree the $2000 price tag was a bit of a surprise. Sony could likely list the lens for much more and still sell a ton of them.

Upvote 0