Canon’s EOS-1D X Mark II equivalent mirrorless is coming sooner than originally thought [CR1]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

I just hope Canon doesn't rush out a half baked idea that was put out just to say they have one. I would rather see a later truly pro camera that puts the competition back to the stone age as the EOS system did 30+ years ago. It has taken this long for the competition to catch up to the EOS and now an incremental lame introduction just is not going to impress. It must be hyper fast, full frame 8K at 120p with no crop or line skipping as Nikon and Sony do to make the FF claim. In other words skip the lame 4K, that train has left the station, move on to a blow them away 8K that is not dumbed down and the still frame rate is second to none by a good margin. No rolling shutter issues either. Minimum stills at 50 MP for this camera and DR at 25 stops. Canon has all these capabilities now they just refuse to incorporate them into their regular camera lines.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I am glad I don't yet have the money for the 200-400 that keeps whispering dark secrets to me, all this EF to RF business is causing a lot of uncertainty that if I go and buy the EF 200-400 and 1Dx mark ? body to go with it, will it just be obsolete soon. My EF 300mm F2.8 is pushing 30 years, my next big white I am wanting some good years out of it too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
If I buy a tough body like 1DX, I want it to work under every condition. An adapter is a liability. You won't understand this if you don't push your kit to its limits.
A TC is exactly an adapter that pros use without a second thought today.
Moreover, "pushing to the limits" for these sports and wildlife pros means high frame rates while firmly locked down on a tripod.
We are not talking combat photography here.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
If Canon is rushing a 1Dx class mirrorless to market it is a signal to the market that it is serious. This is a halo product just as the 28-70 f2 and the 50 f1.2.
The real truth is this product is not where they make their money. The volumes are small and likely the majority sold to enthusiasts.

The real money maker will be a brace of 5Dxx mirrorless bodies. This is a profit maximizing segment where volume and margins create the profits they need.
However I can see why they want to bring out the flagship to maximize the PR attention of the Olympics. This also allows them to spend more time on the midrange to ensure they have the features and performance the market wants while avoiding missteps like the function bar.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I shoot a 1DX2 for wildlife and will definitely make the jump to the mirrorless counter-part provided it offers an AF that equals the competition, a super fast FR with a generous buffer while shooting in silent mode, and a lag-free EV. A little better DR and ISO performance would be nice.
And one that can be on all the time for instant response without draining the battery and also cope with staring through the evf.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I shoot a 1DX2 for wildlife and will definitely make the jump to the mirrorless counter-part provided it offers an AF that equals the competition, a super fast FR with a generous buffer while shooting in silent mode, and a lag-free EV. A little better DR and ISO performance would be nice.

At this point Canon cannot just equal the competition. It must excel and beat the competition demonstrably. Otherwise they are just playing catch-up and the next sonikon will just leave it in the dust playing perpetual catch-up.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
No. The TC's are weather sealed to the same level as the body and sealed lenses. The adapters do not have sealing on them so far.
Do you have an RF mount adapter? If so, unfortunately for you it seems your adapter is a counterfeit knock-off.

My EF-EOS R mount adapter has the mount gasket typical of a weather-sealed lens, and Canon describes the adapter as follows:
With a stylish design that matches the EF and EF-S lens look and a sturdy, dust- and water-resistant construction, the Mount Adapter EF-EOS R makes it easy to adapt to more lens choices and possibilities.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Do you have a mount adapter? If so, unfortunately for you it seems your adapter is a counterfeit knock-off.

My EF-EOS R mount adapter has the mount gasket typical of a weather-sealed lens, and Canon describes the adapter as follows:
I happily profess to have made a mistake. I did use one but relatively briefly and I didn't notice it. Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I am glad I don't yet have the money for the 200-400 that keeps whispering dark secrets to me, all this EF to RF business is causing a lot of uncertainty that if I go and buy the EF 200-400 and 1Dx mark ? body to go with it, will it just be obsolete soon. My EF 300mm F2.8 is pushing 30 years, my next big white I am wanting some good years out of it too.

They won't be obsolete until you wear them out.

Upvote 0