Canon EOS 90D and Canon EOS M6 Mark II announcements coming at the end of August

Many that will buy the 90D in my opinion will likely be those already shooting on the 80D, 70D, Rebel camera's etc. If the 90D is spec'd out better than the 80D, which it highly likely will be, means this 90D will probably be a big success. I think the 80D is one of Canon's all time best APS-C DSLR Camera's ever made....soon to be 2nd best to the 90D.
Of course the 90D will be bashed and complained about by the normal crowd of negatives but I bet those that actually get it and put it to use longer than a week or two (more-so than youtube reviewers) they will love it.
The 90D will only be a compromise to those looking for a 7Dii replacement....I was waiting for the 7Diii, but I suppose the 90D will eventually be what I replace my 80D with. (Mirror-less is not in "my" future for photography).

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
No mention of the megic things: dual slot and IBIS.
In some market it's important to have a 2019 model. No specs useful , but the 2019 model.
Yeah, Canon is always releasng the two-year old model. For some reason, the majority of camera buyers like it that way, which is why Canon dominates the ILC market, as they’ve done for >16 years.

That was your point, wasn’t it?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Many that will buy the 90D in my opinion will likely be those already shooting on the 80D, 70D, Rebel camera's etc. If the 90D is spec'd out better than the 80D, which it highly likely will be, means this 90D will probably be a big success. I think the 80D is one of Canon's all time best APS-C DSLR Camera's ever made....soon to be 2nd best to the 90D.
Of course the 90D will be bashed and complained about by the normal crowd of negatives but I bet those that actually get it and put it to use longer than a week or two (more-so than youtube reviewers) they will love it.
The 90D will only be a compromise to those looking for a 7Dii replacement....I was waiting for the 7Diii, but I suppose the 90D will eventually be what I replace my 80D with. (Mirror-less is not in "my" future for photography).

As someone who loves my 80D, I'm not expecting the 90D to be a significant upgrade. They might at 4K video or something like that, but I'm not even sure what I'd ask for as an improvement, honestly.

I myself am more likely to grab the RP and keep the 80D as a second body... Though eventually I'd like to end up with the RP + some better EOS R camera, so we'll see what order I end up upgrading in... Luckily I'm not in a rush and can wait to see what comes out, especially since I'm waiting for the RF 24-70 f2.8 IS... For me that's the killer lens that will draw me into the R ecosystem.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Unless you mainly shoot non-action/non-wildlife at ISO 400 and lower, the 80D was not nearly as big an improvement over the 7D as the 7D Mark II was.

I'm not a dedicated wildlife photog, but I do take quite a bit of wildlife pics.

For me the 7D mk2 felt like a minor improvement over the 7D at a highish (at the time) cost. The image quality/dynamic range/low light performance, focus points, tilty screen, etc were noticeable improvements on the 80D from the 7D. ..

The burst rate and weather sealing were probably my main concerns.. but found it was fast enough for most things for me and I was more careful in bad weather. I'm not saying it's right for everyone, but the other capabilities more than made it better than an original 7D (which is what was being said)... probably less so for a 7D mk2.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
I hope this 90D will be a major flop for Canon, forcing them to create a mirrorless equivalent immediately.
I wonder why anyone wish others to fail? As you know, Canon is commited to their R line and develop a growing line of RF lenses. So why "wish" that the DSLR will be a "flopp"? By the way, anger attitude generate wrinkls on people face if you haven't noticed that already.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I've been following CR for quite sometime, but only now joined the forum.

As someone who got into the DSLR realm only 5-½ years ago with my current Rebel T3i and a handful of basic lenses, I have been anxiously waiting for this 80D/7D replacement model for over a year.

I would consider myself an advanced amateur, and am wanting to take the next logical step up. I'm not quite at the level of needing to go deep into the 5D/6D FF world (financial-wise and otherwise). And, IMHO, the mirrorless industry is still in its infancy.

Getting a top-of-the-line crop sensor DSLR, plus getting a few more new/better EF lenses (I already bought my first L lens secondhand - the 70-200 F/2.8 for half the price), including the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 (to step up from my Nifty-50), Tamron 18-400mm F/3.5-6.3, plus a decent macro lens and a decent wide-angle lens for landscape photography.

I figure that if my abilities over the next 5 years take the next logical step (in becoming a part-time professional), it is then that I'll move up to a FF, with mirrorless technology being much more mature by then. I could imagine an well-tested "R-5D" with an EF adapter as being my next step up in 2024.

So, for me, this "90D" will work perfectly for me. Been chomping at the bit for many months now.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Canon is treading water until the high MP and pro RF bodies are ready. These other 2 will sell, but they aren’t going to set the world on fire, so it would be wise to temper expectations. Those hoping the 90D will perform like a 7DIII are going to be bummed, I think.
Probably best to wait and see the actual specs first? If these include new sensor technology (and this is probable if the 90D is intended to take over the 7D series' position) then it points to where the new EOS R cameras are going, ie the sensor is likely to be a cut down version of the same or similar sensor for use on a high MP / pro EOS R camera. Same for the M6ii. That's the exciting prospect with these for non-APSC users.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I've been following CR for quite sometime, but only now joined the forum.

As someone who got into the DSLR realm only 5-½ years ago with my current Rebel T3i and a handful of basic lenses, I have been anxiously waiting for this 80D/7D replacement model for over a year.

I would consider myself an advanced amateur, and am wanting to take the next logical step up. I'm not quite at the level of needing to go deep into the 5D/6D FF world (financial-wise and otherwise). And, IMHO, the mirrorless industry is still in its infancy.

Getting a top-of-the-line crop sensor DSLR, plus getting a few more new/better EF lenses (I already bought my first L lens secondhand - the 70-200 F/2.8 for half the price), including the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 (to step up from my Nifty-50), Tamron 18-400mm F/3.5-6.3, plus a decent macro lens and a decent wide-angle lens for landscape photography.

I figure that if my abilities over the next 5 years take the next logical step (in becoming a part-time professional), it is then that I'll move up to a FF, with mirrorless technology being much more mature by then. I could imagine an well-tested "R-5D" with an EF adapter as being my next step up in 2024.

So, for me, this "90D" will work perfectly for me. Been chomping at the bit for many months now.
Have you thought about the EOS RP? EF lenses work great on it and the EOS R with the adaptor. You're absolutely in the middle of the demographic that Canon wants to encourage into FF mirrorless, hence the pricing on the EOS RP (and the cut-down 5Diii which is the EOS R for those with a bit more money to spend).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Unless you mainly shoot non-action/non-wildlife at ISO 400 and lower, the 80D was not nearly as big an improvement over the 7D as the 7D Mark II was.

I’m not so sure.. I chose the 80D over the 7D2 and I’m glad I did. I may get ever so slightly fewer sharp images, but I can crop more and I can push shadows more. Which is a big deal in wildlife shooting.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
Bleh. If they can mass market a FF camera at US $1300 (EOS RP) they sure as hell can make a decent 7D Mark III.

I'll stick with my 7DM2 for as long as I can.

This forum has documented lots of you guys are still using the original 7D every day, either for work or pleasure. My anecdotal experience confirms this.

Stepping down to a 90D does not seem like a wise choice.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Is this Canon's big August announcement? What happened to "reclaiming the megapixel crown" and "getting into the spec wars"?
The 90d and m62 are going to have a 32.5mp 1.6x crop sensor. If that is not winning the mp war or engaging in a spec war i don't know what is.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
Bleh. If they can mass market a FF camera at US $1300 (EOS RP) they sure as hell can make a decent 7D Mark III.

I'll stick with my 7DM2 for as long as I can.

This forum has documented lots of you guys are still using the original 7D every day, either for work or pleasure. My anecdotal experience confirms this.

Stepping down to a 90D does not seem like a wise choice.
How do you know using a 90D would be a step down without knowing the true specs yet? My hunch is it will have much better DR than a 7D as well as other improved features, especially if Canon is considering making the 90D an amalgamation of an 80D and 7DII.

Upvote 0