Here are some images and pricing for the Canon EOS 90D

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Interesting pricing but again I ask myself why so many people buy such products on first day, without any reviews, tests etc.
Canon might be boring to some but reliability is their strength when it comes to anything in this range. The 90D will do the job, and do it well.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Interesting pricing but again I ask myself why so many people buy such products on first day, without any reviews, tests etc.
For me I’ll pre-order on the assumption it’s a 4K 80D then I’ll get it as soon as possible. If for some reason it’s discovered in reviews that it’s missing important colours or only films in black and white then I’ll cancel. Simples :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Not sure if I'd pick up either when a gray market 5Ds is $1,230 on eBay.
I am pretty close to you in my regard to the 5DS/R! The 90D fits a niche - it will have the resolution of a 5DS plus 1.3xTC, with smaller file size and bigger buffer, but it will lack the FF capabilities and superb construction of the 5DS. The 5DS at these prices is a real bargain.

Upvote 0
Going to be cutting it close on release for me. I leave for my once in a lifetime photo trip on the 20th of September. If I can get it before then I’ll buy it. If not I’ll probably wait a year and then get it.

Looks like the perfect backup camera to my 6dii though.

Did anyone see buffers listed anywhere? That’s the only thing I didn’t see.

Upvote 0
So for $1199 you get a choice between a top end Crop body or an entry level Full frame.

I like it!!!

Except this is not exactly top end... the 7d Mk II is top end, both in price and features. This is a nice camera for many perhaps, but short of a top end camera. The real top end crop, the APS-H line, they nuked when they released the 1dX. The APS-C top has been the 7d line, which may not persist... but I hope it does...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

What Canon needs is some brilliant marketing now. Sell the sizzle of this or whatever camera they choose. I remember the AE-1 commercials they were absolutely brilliant and Canon could not produce them fast enough. Yes, there were not cell phones then. That is why some brilliant thinking needs to occur to bring the cell phone crowd over. My step daughter was totally happy with her cell phone for years but could not figure out why her photos sucked compared to mine in many ways. I got her a camera and a lens. She is now on her 2nd camera and has a full range of lenses. She even convinced her sister to start using a "Real" camera and now both seldom use the cell phone except for that impromptu snap.
I do not pretend to be a marketer, but see a need for that sizzle to be brought back and make it cool. Perhaps it will never fully recover but the decline can be slowed or stopped and perhaps grow.
Who knows as what is hot changes quickly.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Fewer AF cross-points than the 7Dii. Single-processor. No IBIS (not that this was expected). Higher MP count so the noise is almost certainly going to be worse than the 7Dii. Unless you're using an 80D or something I'm not sure why you would view this as an upgrade. It's objectively worse than the 7Dii in several areas, particularly those that are important to wildlife photographers. Not sure what I'm supposed to do at this point, been waiting for a 7Dii upgrade for a while now. I really don't want to dump all my glass and jump to Nikon. Sony maybe?

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
This. And only this.
if its got more reliable AF than the 7DII then a bargain, but if it’s still 80D class AF, a poor subsitute for the 7DII.

I'm not hopeful, fewer cross-points than the 7Dii, single processor (not that this plays into it, just showing how it's an actual downgrade from the 7Dii in a couple areas). I'm going to wait for some real world tests to come out.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
First of all, cancelling a pre-order is not a big deal.
If one makes a healthy income, than that 100-200$ saving compared to the initial price makes no difference at all, it can be recouped very quickly.
Or if replacing an old camera, its used value might decrease by this amount as well by the time this gets discounted, might as well do it earlier than later if upgrading costs almost the same.
Also, YouTube seems to be buzzing right now, overloaded with new entries, and owning a camera like this - which will attract interest - and releasing a decent video about it might increase channel growth a bit, so again easily worth getting it as soon as possible.
For the video geeks, no further crop 4k and 1080p 120fps (hopefully with AF) well under 1DXII price will sell this camera on its own (and all of its siblings with the same sensor, the crop sensor R variant could gain the sensor stabilisation as well).

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
I prefer to review items myself. I am my own best judge of what works for me and what doesn't.

Another reason I have no issues with early adoption with camera gear is that I have a fantastic brick and mortar camera store nearby where I can go in, handle the goods, take test shots, play with the gear, attend sponsored show and tell events, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Single-processor.

A quibble but one worth mentioning: single or dual processor doesn't necessarily tell you the relative processing power. The 7D2 was dual digic 6 while the 90D is digic 8. Even with the same processor, one model might be clocked higher than the other. The only time this would be relevant is when comparing two cameras released close together.

The AF module might indeed be an indicator or relative AF performance, but "single or dual" processors is not. In regard to that: it's a bummer that the 90D doesn't have the single+AF assist points mode that is so popular (I use it a lot myself). But then again, it has an updated iTR sensor and algorithms which may mean it's better at subject tracking.

Higher MP count so the noise is almost certainly going to be worse than the 7Dii.

It won't be. High MP = high noise is a myth.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I am pretty close to you in my regard to the 5DS/R! The 90D fits a niche - it will have the resolution of a 5DS plus 1.3xTC, with smaller file size and bigger buffer, but it will lack the FF capabilities and superb construction of the 5DS. The 5DS at these prices is a real bargain.

Of course. My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek after the similar comment about the 6D2. Naturally the 90D has its advantages and roles, and for those unwilling to consider gray market there's also a huge price difference.

Heck, depending on the 4k video quality, I might get one.

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018

I only now discovered that the 5DS/R offers in-camera crop. But does it increase the frame rate?

Upvote 0