The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III is coming in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid $4,700 for mine a few months after they were out via CPW, got the free CFast cards and readers too. If the 1DX MkIII is $5,000 after a. few months and I can get $3,000 for my MkII's the 'investment' is closer to $2,.000 than $6,000.

If I move on a high resolution R's' the body will be $3,500+ and the two lenses I'd want, the RF 85 and the RF 35 add another $3,000, then there is yet another $1,000 in adapters for the ND filter and the CPL to use the EF glass I need to use, and then there is the version with the control ring. I'm looking at well over $7,000 to make a serious move on the R's'...

I didn't need a dime spent on filters. The threads on most new RF are the same as the EF fllters I already have.

Can really only shoot one lens at a time, so one less than $200 gets the job done. Less if used adapter.

Unlike the Sony roller coaster, Canon made the adapting or transition to RF bodies "dirt cheap" if need be.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Actually, I just had a chance to shoot the A7RIV. I was thinking the black out of the EVF would preclude shooting birds in flight, which is what I do the most. It actually is serviceable for BIF and thus other action I assume. It is not an a9 or 1DxII with regards to being able to easily track a fast moving subject, but it can work IMO. With regards to the adapter I am using it is the Sigma MC-11. Please see my earlier post for my thoughts on performance. Thanks.
Oh, I thought it was free of the blackout in the viewfinder.
I think I will take a look at it when the next wedding season starts - the incredible loud shutter and the big weight of the 1D is a big downer for me on weddings. The 5D is much better in this regard.
The A7R could replace both of them =) It will be interesting to see what canon will offer in the mirrorless higher megapixel area... I think its a big benefit for weddings and product shots to have a higher megapixel count for crops and better teouch/cutouts :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I didn't need a dime spent on filters. The threads on most new RF are the same as the EF fllters I already have.

Can really only shoot one lens at a time, so one less than $200 gets the job done. Less if used adapter.
There aren’t RF equivalents for the 11-24L or the TS-E 17L. The filters I have for my EF lenses don’t fit on those two lenses for some reason…probably because they lack filter threads. :p

Upvote 0
Just curious. What could be better in the straight out the camera jpegs? I'm a sports photographer and shooting 99% jpegs and fairly happy with the quality. Only shooting RAW during press conference due to mixed lights.

Yes, im also happy! Overall the files are very good. But for example the color rendering...Even in standard mode i find the reds to be very strong and I did had to make a custom mode with -3 saturation. Then that adds another problem that is you take off saturation from all colors. So when a team is red i tend to have some problems. This is more like a preference... but for me, trying to improve the saturation processing in jpeg would be fine. Specially in soccer, if you shoot for newspaper you know we need to deliver the photos ASAP and in big games some photos are sent even before first half to finish, so no time to correct in post. Then i find sometimes the noise reduction (i think is that...) to give the photo some "plasticity..." even when reduced to low...I would be happy if when you choose Low in noise reduction, noise processing could be less noticeable....
Well, not very important things, just small things that i dont like so much....But, and it is a biiig BUT, the jpeg straight out of the camera are very good and like it!

EDIT: I put 2 examples of that exagerated reds, you can see better in the second pic.

Attachments

• _F7I8690.jpg
    _F7I8690.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 192
  • _F7I8493.jpg
    _F7I8493.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mmmhhh....
Sony is rumored to bring the A9II with 32-36 MP at the same fps the A9I has.
Canon will be a lot behind, if the sensor will not be in the same league (28-....MP).

Like to hear the rumor, as my old eyes love OVF!
Will be an early adopter, if the specs come close to the Sony.

Sony has what relevance here?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Thanks for the responses, folks.

Conclusion: Canon has gone in another direction leaving the 7D Mii users in a precarious position: spend huge $$ for a substantial upgrade, switch platforms to the R, or leave Canon entirely. I have shot Canon equipment for 40 years and now they leave me at a dead end.

Very disappointing.
I'm still using a 5D3 which is 2 years older than the 7D2. Nothing but GAS gets in my way of continued use and it doesn't take herculean strength to avoid it's siren call, just a teeny bit of willpower.

Perhaps your body is broken or malfunctioning but if not why cry to the heavens when you could just keep shooting with it? It was once great or at least good enough, believe me, nothing has changed. Nothing.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'd be surprised if its below 30 MP.
I'll be interested if they increase the FPS.
I assume it will be at least 1 stop better in ISO.
I wonder how silent it will be. I can see press conferences in the future banning noisy cameras with the mirrorless option available.
Once it starts it spreads. Weddings too the click click is distracting. I'm sure Canon could make a fairly silent mirrored camera (of course mirror lock up allows for fairly silent shooting).
Yes I'll be very interested in this one. Could be the last great mirrored camera.
It will be years before a mirrorless camera will match its battery performance.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
so as always "it depends", for me as i do 30-35 wedding reportages 50mp is cleary an over kill. But if i could have some kind of higher MP (30-40) for Shooting/studio situation and an MRAW often of abou 20MP that woul be a great deal.
But i guess canon likes to sell me a second high mp CAM ;)

if i can wish:
  • RAW: 34MP M1RAW:20MP ---------> i can work as with the 1DXII like before with extra MP if requsted.
Additional::
  • great IBIS that would be a killer
  • Crosstype dualpixel AF
  • AF-S in livevie like 5dMK4
  • slightly improoved battery life
  • higher 14-16FPS
CURRENT Cams :
1DXMKII:
RAW: 20MP 5.472 x 3.648
M1RAW: 12MP 4.368 x 2.912

5dm4:
RAW: 30MP 6.720 x 4.480
mRAW: 16MP 5.040 x 3.360

mRAW and sRAW seem to be dead with .cr3 and C-RAW having replaced them.

Dual Pixel AF already exceeds the capability of cross-type AF points on dedicated PDAF sensor arrays.

AF-S? That's a Nikon/Sony/Pentax thing. Do you mean 'One Shot AF', which is the Canon equivalent?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
From my quick check* of my timeline, it could be said that Digic 2, 3 and 5 were first seen in 1 series announcements.
Next year Digic 8 will be 2 years after it's first use - quite reasonable for Digic 9 to appear somewhere (I'd pinned it for the Pro Mirrorless, but with IBIS in the 1D X mk3 and 6k vid, maybe it has some features that make it a good fit there too)

*Just eyeballing the chart - I'm travelling so disinclined to start looking up old press releases ;-)

If the DiG!C 5 was the last one introduced in a 1-Series body, it has been quite a while since a 1-Series body was the first to sport a new DiG!C processor.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Also, the a9II will likely be 2K less than the 1DxIII if Canon prices the 1DxIII like it did the 1DxII. Rumors are the a9II will be 5K, I am thinking the 1DxIII will be $6999. If this is what happens, I will have a hard time choosing the 1DXIII over the a9II given what I have learned about the comparative capabilities of the 1DxII and a9 after shooting them side by side for a while now. Osprey image is a9 with adapted Canon 600 f/4 IS + 1.4x TC hand held.View attachment 186655

Nice image!

The 1D X debuted at $6799 in the U.S. in early 2012 when one USD bought about 80 yen. ($6799 = 544,000 yen)

The 1D X Mark II debuted at $5999 in the U.S. in March 2016 when one USD bought about 110 yen ($5999 = 660,000 yen). The USD was at 120 yen at the beginning of 2016 but slid to 101 yen by July 1, then recovered to about 117 yen by the end of 2016.

The USD has been ranging between 106-112 yen since the beginning of 2019, but the USD typically drops against the yen during Presidential election years in the U.S., which are the same as Summer Olympic years (2008, 2012, 2016, 2020, etc.).

If the USD stays relatively strong vs. the yen, I don't see Canon pricing the 1D X Mark III above the $5999 introductory price of the 1D X Mark II in the U.S. We'll see.

Upvote 0
I really hope it is 30mp as from my experience (shooting my 5DIV) 30mp is a sweet spot for bird photography as it allows some crop on the small guys, but should still allow for all the fps and no buffer fill the current 1DxII provides. With CFExpress I expect there will be no hitting a buffer on the III, not even close. I may pass on this 1D if the sensor is less than 30mp. I will stick with my 5DIV and try out the Sony a9II if it has the rumored 32-36mp.
And I will pass on any camera with a sensor >30MP.

I used to crop on a Canon EOS 10D 6MP. No issue even for 16x20" prints.
I found the 20-24MP my sweet spot. For me, larger files just eat up more space and time.

If you need to "crop on the small guys" stick with the 7D Mk II or whatever the next generation might be. You'll have the built-in crop. If you like the full frames, get a longer telephoto lens (teleconverters, too). imho, it makes little sense to pay for a sensor of huge megapickles, just to toss most of them away. If you are trying to photograph a hummingbird a football field away, buy a blind and move in closer. ;o)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yes, im also happy! Overall the files are very good. But for example the color rendering...Even in standard mode i find the reds to be very strong and I did had to make a custom mode with -3 saturation. Then that adds another problem that is you take off saturation from all colors. So when a team is red i tend to have some problems. This is more like a preference... but for me, trying to improve the saturation processing in jpeg would be fine. Specially in soccer, if you shoot for newspaper you know we need to deliver the photos ASAP and in big games some photos are sent even before first half to finish, so no time to correct in post. Then i find sometimes the noise reduction (i think is that...) to give the photo some "plasticity..." even when reduced to low...I would be happy if when you choose Low in noise reduction, noise processing could be less noticeable....
Well, not very important things, just small things that i dont like so much....But, and it is a biiig BUT, the jpeg straight out of the camera are very good and like it!

EDIT: I put 2 examples of that exagerated reds, you can see better in the second pic.

Wouldn't it be nice if the 1-Series would allow you to load an HSL profile from DPP 4 into the camera? I often have the luxury of shooting raw even with sports (no tight deadlines for what I do), and the HSL tool is perfect for pulling back the reds, shifting the yellow tint that cameras inflict on natural grass slightly towards green, neutralizing the blue/purple tinted shadows that certain white jerseys made from synthetic fibers demonstrate under halogen lights, etc.

When shooting at stadiums/fields one has shot at before, which I do frequently, one could preload an HSL profile that was created using raw test files from previous visits. Custom Picture Styles created in Picture Style Editor are nice and all, but often unexploited by most Canon users because there is no 1:1 correspondence between development settings in DPP 4 (or the very similar HSL/HSB/HSV tools in LR, C1, DxO, etc.) and custom settings in PSE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sony has what relevance here?

It's the other platform that some of us are using while we're waiting for an upgrade to the 1dx2. The relevant discussion is that the inflection point for us to go back to a 1dx3 from an A9 is similar to those who are debating whether to upgrade from the 1dx2.

For my part, I have one foot in each camp, and I think the competition is fantastic. Will be purchasing the a92 later this year, and then some quarters later (hopefully not years) the 1d equivalent mirrorless. There is a distinct luxury when you come from the Canon camp. You can surgically buy some native glass in an alternate, but my ef primes work great.

Trust me, you want the Sony dabblers in on these discussion, as they'll add some good perspective, so long as they're not the trolls streaming from DPR, etc. Those of us who've been on the CR forum for years and have other systems as well add a great deal.

-tig

PS: If you guys don't check out Sonyalpharumors.com as well, you won't realize how good our admin is here on Canonrumors.com. The Sony rumors site is fun to check out, as there's always some impending announcement, but the fellow metes the information out in a fashion trying to drive traffic instead of clarity. We have it good here.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I'm still using a 5D3 which is 2 years older than the 7D2. Nothing but GAS gets in my way of continued use and it doesn't take herculean strength to avoid it's siren call, just a teeny bit of willpower.

Perhaps your body is broken or malfunctioning but if not why cry to the heavens when you could just keep shooting with it? It was once great or at least good enough, believe me, nothing has changed. Nothing.

I don't know about everyone else, but my 7D Mark II is getting fairly long on the shutter count. I'm at the point where I need to get another one or stop taking paid jobs where my 5D Mark IV doesn't have enough reach to be a viable backup. Even at 30 MP, cropping a 5D Mark IV image to APS-C size only yields 11.7 MP. The only other option is to start spending a LOT more on 300-400mm f/2.8 lenses to get the same reach on FF that an $1,800 EF 70-200/2.8 IS gives on APS-C.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I don't know about everyone else, but my 7D Mark II is getting fairly long on the shutter count. I'm at the point where I need to get another one or stop taking paid jobs where my 5D Mark IV doesn't have enough reach to be a viable backup. Even at 30 MP, cropping a 5D Mark IV image to APS-C size only yields 11.7 MP. The only other option is to start spending a LOT more on 300-400mm f/2.8 lenses to get the same reach on FF that an $1,800 EF 70-200/2.8 IS gives on APS-C.
Cropping a 5DsR image to APS-C gives you the same MP as your 7DII, and a sharper image. So why not buy a 5DsR? Or a 5Ds if you’re worried about moiré.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Cropping a 5DsR image to APS-C gives you the same MP as your 7DII, and a sharper image. So why not buy a 5DsR? Or a 5Ds if you’re worried about moiré.

Frame rate. It really does make a difference when shooting sports. At 5 fps, your only frame of the peak moment might happen right as an official steps between you and the athlete(s). At 10 fps, you can often salvage one of the frames just before or just after the referee's butt is your primary subject.

Sure, you can get plenty of keepers at 5 fps or even 2 fps like in the motor drive film days. But you get a lot more, which often include the key moments of a contest, at 10 fps. Expectations are much higher now that you deliver shots of practically *every* key play than they were in the past, when just getting a good frame of the key players was enough, even if it wasn't when they were making the key plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.