Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Only half serious I know, but the use of a rail can only apply to fine movements over a short distance. I dunno exactly how to explain it - in large part I guess because your perspective would change so much over large distances that the images couldn't be merged. If you were shooting landscapes at wide aperture, it still wouldn't really work, you'd be best refocusing, whether manually or choosing AF points (or getting the camera to do it) - and you wouldn't need to take dozens or hundreds of shots, because the depth of field is so much greater at landscape distances. It simply doesn't make any sense on a non-macro scale.
Scyrene, are macro rails the same as a bellows? I have 1 Mamiya Macro Sekor 60mm f/2.8 lens and a Pentax bellows, but have never used the bellows.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Scyrene, are macro rails the same as a bellows? I have 1 Mamiya Macro Sekor 60mm f/2.8 lens and a Pentax bellows, but have never used the bellows.
Macro rail is a component of tripod head that allows to move the camera (as a whole with the lens) back and forth without rotating the optical axis. Is normally used for precision macro work.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Installed the firmware before I took it to a concert shoot last night. The AF has been really dragging recently, but this update seems to have fixed my biggest worry with concert shooting. and the touch and drag, which I already grew to love, is SO much smoother now.

what kind of lighting and burst rates? sounded like the FPS wasn't great and I tend to shoot punk type shows which have lousy lighting and lots of movement.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Weird. I've gotten my EOS R and 28-70mm plenty wet.

I’ve soaked mine in the rain, waterfalls, ocean spray, and snow. Handled all of it well. My only issue has been condensation in the viewfinder when temps drop in the rain. Other than that it’s been up to snuff. I don’t trust it like it trust the 5Dmkiv, but I don’t hesitate to get it wet.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I’ve soaked mine in the rain, waterfalls, ocean spray, and snow. Handled all of it well. My only issue has been condensation in the viewfinder when temps drop in the rain. Other than that it’s been up to snuff. I don’t trust it like it trust the 5Dmkiv, but I don’t hesitate to get it wet.
You guys are brave as hell. I do wonder about the weather sealing of the lenses, as opposed to the body. I know Lens Rentals had a fairly poor opinion about the sealing on the body.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
You guys are brave as hell. I do wonder about the weather sealing of the lenses, as opposed to the body. I know Lens Rentals had a fairly poor opinion about the sealing on the body.

This is why I carry insurance and know the crew over at CPS. If a seal fails, I’ll get it sorted out. It’s just gear.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012

I figured it had to be condensation too. Maybe theres a tiny bit of heat from the VF display?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This is why I carry insurance and know the crew over at CPS. If a seal fails, I’ll get it sorted out. It’s just gear.
I understand the insurance. I carry CarePak+. However, from what I understand, it only covers 1 incident of drops or spills. The problem with the R is the lack of weather sealing, according to the good people over at Lens Rentals. So for the R it seems to me that the problem would not be that a seal failed, but that there is no seal in some places to begin with. I don't think being a CPS member and knowing the crew helps with that. They do, after all, work for Canon. That is who signs their paycheck. Canon doesn't cover water damage under warranty at all, for any camera... seal or not. The insurance covers one incident.

So, what kind of insurance can I get to cover "accidents" in an unlimited way? Maybe an independent company or homeowners insurance. I wouldn't know.

In any case, y'all are still brave as hell. ;) Very light Snow? A very light mist or drizzle? Probably no problem. Salt water getting in? Big problem. Rain? Big problem.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I understand the insurance. I carry CarePak+. However, from what I understand, it only covers 1 incident of drops or spills. The problem with the R is the lack of weather sealing, according to the good people over at Lens Rentals. So for the R it seems to me that the problem would not be that a seal failed, but that there is no seal in some places to begin with. I don't think being a CPS member and knowing the crew helps with that. They do, after all, work for Canon. That is who signs their paycheck. Canon doesn't cover water damage under warranty at all, for any camera... seal or not. The insurance covers one incident.

So, what kind of insurance can I get to cover "accidents" in an unlimited way? Maybe an independent company or homeowners insurance. I wouldn't know.

In any case, y'all are still brave as hell. ;) Very light Snow? A very light mist or drizzle? Probably no problem. Salt water getting in? Big problem. Rain? Big problem.

I am not that concerned if Canon covers things under warranty or not. I use CPS to make sure I am never down a body or a lens when things are being repaired\written off.

That said I have only ever had to use a loaner body once when the battery module died on my old 7D just before an Airshow. Oh and I got a loaner 100-400Mki after I drove over my old one, funny that was not covered under warranty and makes a nice paper weight now even it is a bit rattly:)

I will not risk my life for a shot but gear can be replaced so I kinda think of these things as tools that wear out and break.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Well I had a shoot booked for today, to be honest I couldn’t really be bothered especially on a Friday evening and as my client had picked a poor venue 0.3 mile away from parking as it was in a pedestrian area of a city, a long haul to peddle even minimal lighting tackle.

However, I couldn’t wait to try this new firmware on the EOS R I’d already downloaded it from the Canon UK site are re uploaded it onto a formatted SD card ready.

Well Wow! What a difference and what an improvement, in my 20 years of shooting Canon mostly the 1D Series and I can’t remember firmware making such an improvement as this.

It was like holding and EOS R2 (if there is ever to be one) or a new camera, the face recognition and eye auto focus was instant and a massive improvement, in fact from the 400 plus shots I took it rarely failed to find the subjects eye, on the very odd occasion it did get lost I simply pointed to the ceiling then back to the subject and it locked on straight away in single shot and servo with no more hunting.

I was shooting with the RF 35mm and mostly wide open at 1.8 conditions were not perfect, but it was an absolute pleasure to use.

I ordered my EOS R on launch and was offered one of the first batch that came in store, so I guess I been shooting with it for coming up a year now. It was frustrating knowing how much better face and eye auto focus on the Sony’s was, but I would think Canon is on par with Sony just about now.

I will be interesting to see the comparisons on you tube between the brands now but I’m sure on auto focus Canon will have gone a long way to closing the gap on Sony.

I was holding back a little buying on new RF lens but I’m very temped to trade in my EF 24-70 2.8 for the new RF lens now.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
what kind of lighting and burst rates? sounded like the FPS wasn't great and I tend to shoot punk type shows which have lousy lighting and lots of movement.
Framerate isn't spectacular unless you're shooting JPEG, but that probably isn't the best strategy for the low light situations. I haven't gotten to test the new AF yet in a low-light, fast action setting, but that was a definite problem of the R before the firmware update. I shot an older punk band in a large venue so the lighting was OK and it definitely didn't miss focus as many times as I'd be experiencing in the past.
Bottom line, though, if I had a job where I absolutely had to nail the shot and only had a couple songs, I don't think I'd use the R as my only camera body on that job. Most bigger shows I still take the 5DIV. It's extremely capable and it's fine 95% of the time. I just can't use it as a true pro camera, though the firmware made an immediate difference.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
touch wood... there are multiple evidences to the contrary.

I live in the great PNW, and we know rain.
My R has been out in the rain on several occasions, out taking photo's during the record snow fall we had earlier this year, and a couple trips to the ocean beaches of Kauai taking photo's in the surf. Splashes and outright soakings have taken place and I've not had a single issue. Its not bee completely submerged, but the R and the 24-105 lens has gotten quite wet. Nary an issue.

There probably is a single fatal point of entry on the camera that can cause big issues, but knock on that wood, I've not found it yet. I did purchase a hot shoe slip in cover but other than that, she is bare. I don't go looking to get it wet on purpose, and I keep the camera as dry as possible when not in use, but I don't hide it under my jacket if I need to take a shot. Perhaps Lens Rentals got a bad sample.. I dunno, but there are a couple other video's showing the R handle a pretty good soaking for extended periods of time and it didn't have any issues.

If I plan on really getting out into a soaker, the Oly EM1 MKI is a trooper and laughs at the rain.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I know Lens Rentals had a fairly poor opinion about the sealing on the body.

Lens Rentals can only tell you if there's an actual rubber gasket at a location. They can't tell you whether "weather resistant" seams are indeed resistant or not. A lot of the openings in camera bodies rely on seam tightness and not a separate gasket to prevent water ingress.

Not saying the R is good or bad in terms of sealing. Just noting that Lens Rental's impressions are based only on what they can see. As the Imaging Resource water testing database grows it should give us a good indication as to sealing quality.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Framerate isn't spectacular unless you're shooting JPEG, but that probably isn't the best strategy for the low light situations. I haven't gotten to test the new AF yet in a low-light, fast action setting, but that was a definite problem of the R before the firmware update. I shot an older punk band in a large venue so the lighting was OK and it definitely didn't miss focus as many times as I'd be experiencing in the past.
Bottom line, though, if I had a job where I absolutely had to nail the shot and only had a couple songs, I don't think I'd use the R as my only camera body on that job. Most bigger shows I still take the 5DIV. It's extremely capable and it's fine 95% of the time. I just can't use it as a true pro camera, though the firmware made an immediate difference.

thanks.. I don't get paid, but they're friends and it is a big use for me.. so may continue to wait. 80D with 1.4 glass works alright with short high speed bursts.

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
thanks.. I don't get paid, but they're friends and it is a big use for me.. so may continue to wait. 80D with 1.4 glass works alright with short high speed bursts.

The 80D is still a wonderful camera. I enjoy using mine with a sigma 100-400mm lens. Not the best glass but the image stabilizer is second to none after Sigma redid the algorithm among the several firmware updates the lens received since launch.

Someone traded it in over at Kenmore Camera earlier this year and when I bought it, it was still on first release firmware (previous owner never updated it). I immediately updated it and couldn't be more happier with it considering it was basically fresh from the box and I paid half for it.

Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
After being suitably impressed by the new 1.4 firmware I decided to give the 135mm F2 another try.
It has been languishing in the send to eBay pile for some time after a less than stellar performance in low light on the R.
Threw it in the bag and headed to the bar, same band playing as last time and the same shit lighting.
The difference in performance of the 135 was night and day.
Won itself a reprieve and now no longer destined for eBay.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0