The Canon EOS 5D Mark V is in the works [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arod820

Camera Operator
Sep 19, 2018
Miami
Agree.
If it is basically the same camera but one DSLR and the other mirrorless no harm no foul. It sounds exciting for those wanting a DSLR to get the cutting edge tech being pumped into the mirrorless systems. Especially in live view and video. It would be nice if the viewfinder switched from the mirror to EVF when in live view. I do so hate to hold the camera out away from the body when in live view at present. Oh well we shall see. This is very exciting.
From a business stand point it makes sense to keep developing DSLR's. Canon and Nikon are probably going to keep putting out new mirrored bodies till people stop buying them now that every other company has ditched the DSLR market. The main reason Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, etc went mirrorless was because they couldn't compete with Canon or Nikon DSLRs.
It's kind of like cars with manual transmissions. Dual clutch automatics shift faster, but people still want manuals.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Arod820

Camera Operator
Sep 19, 2018
Miami
I like the Touch Bar for rating photos, but don’t find it very useful when shooting.
I tried to set it up to change my iso while shooting, it takes forever to realize what i want it to do. I switched my iso to the control ring and its soooo much quicker. I'll have to try it for rating photos, thanks for the tip.

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
i think one of the biggest complaints about the 5d4 was that video files were too huge to work with, no compression or whatever, so hopefully they fix that. But also, canon need to look at other faults or complaints about the 5d4 that came up in reviews and fix them, give people NOTHING to complain about and implement the focusing system of the eos r ( with v1.4 firmware) and even improve on that even further. But also come in at a reasonable price point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Arod820

Camera Operator
Sep 19, 2018
Miami
i think one of the biggest comlaints avout 5d4 was that video files were too huge to work sith, no compression of r whatever, so hopefully they fix that. But also, canon need to look at other faults or complaints about the 5d4 that came up in reviews and fix them, ive people NOTHING to complain about. and implement the focusing system of the eos r ( with v1.4 firmware) and improve on that even further. But also come in at a reasonable price point.
I didn’t like that the video output of the 5d4 was limited to 1080p. That’s my only complaint, it’d be cool if they came up with a nicer audio input than a mini plug. If I could plug in the top handle from my years outdated C100 and have two channels I’d buy two.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Because there has not been so much as a peep from reliable sources about 7D Mark III development since about 2017, when the project was apparently shelved. There have been rumors from those same reliable sources that the 7D Mark III is officially dead within Canon's future plans.

That is not what I've asked, I know Canon did not anounced creating the 7D(3), and that they merged some of the 7D(2) features into the 90D (which is not a 7D upgrade).

I've asked that question since it seems Canon is making both EF and RF models co-exist with similar features, the R and the 5D(4), the RF and the 6D(2), and probably the 1Dx(3) with the Rx, than no they say they will go and develop the 5D(5) with probably an equal R(2) to match it, than going along this logic, why not make the 7D(3) and R7 if it was rumored already that they are into a crop-sensor RF model?

Upvote 0
The 90D is a significant upgrade to the 7DII in most respects. There is a much higher resolution sensor with its much improved liveview, which is as good as a mirrorless and better DR at low iso. The CRAW allows a much larger burst size of 44 in my hands with a UHS-I cardand more with a UHS-II for Grant. The AF is excellent for BIF and seems more consistent for static shots. The only real downgrade is in its ruggedness, and possibly in having just one card slot it that concerns you. Let us know what other downgrades there are.

A "true replacement" with an RF mount will not have OVF, which will be a complete turn off off for many action and nature photographers, and would not in our minds be a successor to a 7DII.

You've got the biggies, you could include buffer rates (but that's due to the increased files sizes), less focus points 65 v 45, viewfinder magnification 1.0x v 0.95x, built in GPS, USB 3 v 2, but overall I agree that the 90D is the better camera as long as the ruggedness isn't an issue.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You've got the biggies, you could include buffer rates (but that's due to the increased files sizes), less focus points 65 v 45, viewfinder magnification 1.0x v 0.95x, built in GPS, USB 3 v 2, but overall I agree that the 90D is the better camera as long as the ruggedness isn't an issue.
With CRAW, the 90D actually has significantly more buffer (CRAW has little downsides and half or so file size) and 0.95 vs 1.0 viewfinder magnification is not noticeable in use. Canon has a real edge over the opposition in DPAF, the best live view AF, and it has been used with an OVF for some time now.

Upvote 0
That is not what I've asked, I know Canon did not anounced creating the 7D(3), and that they merged some of the 7D(2) features into the 90D (which is not a 7D upgrade).

I've asked that question since it seems Canon is making both EF and RF models co-exist with similar features, the R and the 5D(4), the RF and the 6D(2), and probably the 1Dx(3) with the Rx, than no they say they will go and develop the 5D(5) with probably an equal R(2) to match it, than going along this logic, why not make the 7D(3) and R7 if it was rumored already that they are into a crop-sensor RF model?
I don't think anyone but Canon can answer your question with any sort of reliability, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

The impression I've been given from all the rumours is that Canon wouldn't release a 7D III along side a crop sensor RF mount equivalent because they may not release release a 7D III at all, let alone a 7D III with a crop equivalent. I believe the 7D series had been updated on a 5 year cycle, and we're right at year 5 of waiting for a 7D III, so the feeling that no 7D III is coming may be realistic. Why they'd choose not to continue the 7D line is anyone's guess, but if they stopped producing a camera which has strong sales then I'd bet they have a reason which makes sense for them. Here's a few grasping at straws ideas on why they may not refresh the 7D:
  • Maybe it was cannibalizing higher end bodies for the price point so they don't plan on replacing it? Maybe that's why the 90D got a bit of a specs boost from the 80D?
  • Maybe they'll release a new camera in that niche on EF-M mount? I.e. the m5II?
  • Maybe they'll release an RF mount body with a new and improved autofocus system to fill that niche instead of the 7D? Mirrorless bodies could hold a lot of promise for a 7D - style camera with really great autofocus tracking, and incredibly fast burst rates - the m6II is a good example of what kind of performance is possible in a crop mirrorless body.
  • Maybe the 7D series benefit - a relatively cheap and ruggedized body with great autofocus and burst rates - will not stand out with some of the technical advancement of late? Crazy fast burst rates are moving into lower tier camera bodies (i.e. M6II), incredible autofocus capabilities seem to be more software based than hardware (on mirrorless anyway - though even lower-end mirrorless bodies are getting very advanced autofocus capabilities), and the only thing missing seems to be the ruggedized body. Maybe that's not enough niche for Canon to justify? Rumour has it Nikon went the same route and will not update the D500 (the 7DII's most direct competitor), so maybe the niche for rugged/price-conscious/high-burst rate/great autofocus just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint any longer.
Really, it's anyone's guess. The only fact we have to work from here is that a 7D III is late from a release cycle point of view, and whether it is coming at all remains to be seen. Probably not an answer which will make anyone happy, but the fact is no-one (myself included) knows why the 7D III isn't here yet or what direction Canon is headed with the 7D series.

Upvote 0
If the 5DmkV is a worthy upgrade to the mkIV (one would assume so) and they keep improving on the R series and releasing nice RF lenses with the price at least marginally dropping, then I would consider upgrading from the mkIV to the mkV with a view to down the road getting a new R that is well and truly had it's kinks worked out and utilising any benefits it may have over by that stage over the mkV.

That way I would still have the mkV and all it's perks such as keeping my EF glass, but get to utlise the ND adapter with EF glass on the R.
Side note, that RF 28-70 f/2 is ridiculously/comically large!

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I tried to set it up to change my iso while shooting, it takes forever to realize what i want it to do. I switched my iso to the control ring and its soooo much quicker. I'll have to try it for rating photos, thanks for the tip.
Glad to help! I have set it up for ISO as well, but I am not happy with it. I use the control ring for exposure compensation.

Upvote 0
They're not "hedging their bets" any more than an automobile manufacturer is who continues to offer full size SUVs while also introducing smaller "crossover" models.
EOS is a system with an awkward incompatibility split down the middle. Canons new lenses don’t work with their flagship bodies. I don’t think your analogy is valid.

Upvote 0
With CRAW, the 90D actually has significantly more buffer (CRAW has little downsides and half or so file size) and 0.95 vs 1.0 viewfinder magnification is not noticeable in use. Canon has a real edge over the opposition in DPAF, the best live view AF, and it has been used with an OVF for some time now.

Internally as previously mentioned I do agree that the 90D is the better camera, but the pro nature photographers I know want the ruggedness of a 7D II style body. Your have already stated the only real downgrade (to the 90D) is in its ruggedness, and that a
"A "true replacement" with an RF mount will not have OVF, which will be a complete turn off for many action and nature photographers, and would not in our minds be a successor to a 7DII.

So where do you see the future upgrade path for them ?

Upvote 0
Who knows maybe the 5D V will have RF mount. And better maybe when you go on liveview you'll have a LCD instead of the black Viewfinder.

The RF mount is not possible for SLR, it comes down to how far the lens sits from the sensor, you cant get a R mount lens close enough to the sensor because of the mirror hardware. The opposite (EF mount on a R camera is only possible because you can put space between the R body and the EF lens).

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Internally as previously mentioned I do agree that the 90D is the better camera, but the pro nature photographers I know want the ruggedness of a 7D II style body. Your have already stated the only real downgrade (to the 90D) is in its ruggedness, and that a
"A "true replacement" with an RF mount will not have OVF, which will be a complete turn off for many action and nature photographers, and would not in our minds be a successor to a 7DII.

So where do you see the future upgrade path for them ?

The industry seems to be heading away from OVFs. I think the future upgrade path is to use a mirrorless body with a premium EVF like that found in the Panasonic S1.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.