Cue the head spinning, The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III to be 20.1mp? [CR1]

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I'm hoping for 30mp. Anything less will be disappointing. Why switch away from CFast if you're NOT bumping up the MP's????

As sports photographers some very ignorant people state about us... that we don't need or want more resolution. What bunk!!!! Who would not want more??? Keep the mirror box at 15FPS RAW and the Mirror Up at 20 if some are willing to shoot without the OVF.

I don't want a video camera masked as a 1DXMKIII. If I want a video camera, I go out and buy one. I'm a photographer not s videographer!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I'm hoping for 30mp. Anything less will be disappointing. Why switch away from CFast if you're NOT bumping up the MP's????

As sports photographers some very ignorant people state about us... that we don't need or want more resolution. What bunk!!!! Who would not want more??? Keep the mirror box at 15FPS RAW and the Mirror Up at 20 if some are willing to shoot without the OVF.

I don't want a video camera masked as a 1DXMKIII. If I want a video camera, I go out and buy one. I'm a photographer not s videographer!

it is not just write speed, the entire pipe from capture to write has to accommodate enough bandwidth to support more MPs. In addition, it requires enough compute power to continue AF and other processing functions during write.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

I hear you. Having shot the 1DXII side by side with both the 5DIV and R, I'd be content if they just stuck the same 30 mp sensor into the 1Dx III. ISO 6400 looks pretty much the same from any of these bodies, so I don't buy the argument that there would be any ISO benefit to keeping the 1D x III at 20 mp. I also have a hard time believing that with the extra processing power of a 1Dx III that it couldn't do 15 fps using a cfexpress card and bigger buffer, given what the R and 5DIV handle with an older processor and Compact Flash and SD cards.

Maybe this is just a scam to make us all happy and relieved when it has 28 mp?

Upvote 0
Can't reveal the source, but his initials are H.F. and he lives in Canada and just bought a helicopter.

Wrong company !!! ..... My sources are about a DIFFERENT company than Canon!

AND ... It's a Bell 429 for your information !

That is what I'm training on ....

---

AND you heard it here first !!!!

A certain very large multimedia company is introducing a Medium Format 50.3 megapixel 4:3 aspect ratio 8192x6144 pixel resolution at up to 60 fps combined stills/video camera with 16-bits per colour channel (48 bit colour) FULL RAW and Wavelet-based stills and DCI 8K 60 fps 4:4:4/4:2:2 FULL RAW, intraframe and interframe compressed video with high frame rates at lower resolutions for $10,000 US!

AND

that same company is introducing a 2/3rd inch and APS-C large sensor series of super-smartphones with 50+ megapixel stills at 16-bits per channel AND 4:4:4/4:2:2 video at DCI 30 to 60 fps 8192x4320 and high frame rate 4K/2K video ....AND..... 4K resolution displays on Qualcomm Snapdragon 845/855 cpus running Android!

SO THERE !!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim Corbett

Man-eaters' Nightmare
Oct 11, 2019
Wrong company !!! ..... My sources are about a DIFFERENT company than Canon!

AND ... It's a Bell 429 for your information !

That is what I'm training on ....

---

AND you heard it here first !!!!

A certain very large multimedia company is introducing a Medium Format 50.3 megapixel 4:3 aspect ratio 8192x6144 pixel resolution at up to 60 fps combined stills/video camera with 16-bits per colour channel (48 bit colour) FULL RAW and Wavelet-based stills and DCI 8K 60 fps 4:4:4/4:2:2 FULL RAW, intraframe and interframe compressed video with high frame rates at lower resolutions for $10,000 US!

AND

that same company is introducing a 2/3rd inch and APS-C large sensor series of super-smartphones with 50+ megapixel stills at 16-bits per channel AND 4:4:4/4:2:2 video at DCI 30 to 60 fps 8192x4320 and high frame rate 4K/2K video ....AND..... 4K resolution displays on Qualcomm Snapdragon 845/855 cpus running Android!

SO THERE !!!!!

If there is a notch, I'm switching to Nintendo!!!

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I am a very healthy 67, so I plan to continue trips long after 70 but will probably shift to landscapes, etc. At a minimum, I will scale back from the heavier professional lenses and gear. My typical gear for a hard core wildlife trip is 1dx II, 5dIV, 24-70 f2.8 L II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS II, 200-400 f4 L IS w/1.4x tc, multiple batteries for both cameras, battery chargers, binoculars, RRS Tripod & Wimberley Head (not for Africa), 1.4x & 2x TC III's, etc. I like the 100-400 II on my backup camera when I need to shift to handheld shooting. This was the bag on my 2017 Africa trip where I was doing Gorillas and wanted the 100-400 II for the mountain treks.

View attachment 187431View attachment 187431
Healthy 67. Inspirational. May God give you all the health and a lifestyle to match. Thumbs up.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Healthy 67. Inspirational. May God give you all the health and a lifestyle to match. Thumbs up.

Thanks for the really great reply. I have friends who are having health issues (even younger), so I truly appreciate my fortune as to health. I always say I was blessed with a peasant body - takes a licking and keeps on ticking! The only thing I have in the negative column is bad (but stable) vision since birth - 0 in left eye and 20/200 best correction in right. I know, wildlife photography is a strange hobby to pursue, but I can hold my own. I love the outdoors and shooting wildlife even if I have to do it with a 20mpx camera!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
The problem is more in the lenses than the body, but it all adds up. I have the 200-400 f4 L IS w/integrated 1.4x TC that is almost 8lbs + the 100-400 II for handheld shooting + 24-70 f2.8 L II for low light and landscapes. In addition, I always carry a second body like the 5dIV for landscapes, etc. I use a vest in Africa for convenience, but it doesn't really cut down on my overall gear weight plus all the other stuff required. I am looking at alternatives to the 200-400, but I love the versatility and high image quality of the lens for what I shoot. I know most people would say leave the 100-400 II at home (which I occasionally substitute 70-200 f4 L IS II), but I like it on a second body for handheld shooting and carrying when away from a vehicle. The alternatives for the 200-400 would include the EF 500 II, EF 400 DO II, etc.
WOW! you carry a lot of glass on you, for many reasons (financial mostly) I have the 10-22EFS (I have the 7D) then 24-105II and the 100-400II with me, Iwould like to have the 11-24 but it is way over my budget right now, and it is far too heavy also. All in all it is a compromise, although I must say that the 100-40II is the default lens in many cases.

Attachments

• 7D_034399.JPG
    7D_034399.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0
[QUOTE = "GoldWing, gönderi: 801652, üye: 369564"]
30mp için bekliyorum. Daha az bir şey hayal kırıklığı yaratacaktır. Milletvekillerini yakalamıyorsanız neden CFast'tan uzaklaşın ????

Spor fotoğrafçıları olarak çok cahil insanlar bizim hakkımızda belirtiyorlar ... daha fazla çözüme ihtiyacımız yok veya istemiyoruz. Ne ranza !!!! Kim daha fazlasını istemez ki ??? Bazıları OVF olmadan çekim yapmak istiyorsa, ayna kutusunu 15FPS RAW'da ve Mirror Up 20'de tutun.

1DXMKIII olarak maskelenmiş bir video kamera istemiyorum. Bir video kamera istiyorsam, dışarı çıkıp bir tane alırım. Ben bir fotoğrafçıyım, kameraman değil!
[/ALINTI]

Yes! she can be a photographer but Im a Photographer and Videomaker I'm glad to have a camera capable..

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
WOW! you carry a lot of glass on you, for many reasons (financial mostly) I have the 10-22EFS (I have the 7D) then 24-105II and the 100-400II with me, Iwould like to have the 11-24 but it is way over my budget right now, and it is far too heavy also. All in all it is a compromise, although I must say that the 100-40II is the default lens in many cases.

You have the 10 - 400 (16-640) range covered with a good camera and glass. You can't beat the 100-400 II on the long end unless you get into the big whites. I am fortunate that I had a career that has funded my travel and hobby. I spent a lot of years on airplanes and away from home, but it has allowed my wife and I to travel to some pretty cool locations before / after I retired in 2013. I wish I had retired earlier, but it was hard to walk away from a great job that I enjoyed - except for the work travel. I always owned the bodies I liked, but usually rented the longer lenses for special trips. I caught a deep discount on a 200-400 refurb on the Canon site and would be pretty close to breaking even if I sold at current values. The lens was perfect and I think their refurb gear may be as good or better than what you buy off the shelf because of testing.

Have fun shooting!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Just a clever ruse by Canon. Send out a rumour for 20 MP and turn up with 24MP and everyone will be relieved and delighted.

It always worked for Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott when the Enterprise required a massive overhaul of her warp drives to get out of a tight spot.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
There aren't any 1Dx users who moved to Sony which are known to me so far.

I know a "weekend" freelancer for a local paper that has to use his own gear who sold his 1D X (2012 version) and bought an α9 (2017) + 70-200/2.8 GM sometime between May and September of this year.

I also know a well-seasoned (30+ years) staff PJ who recently got put out to pasture. He shot with company owned Canon gear (including at least one 1D X near the end of it) for almost his entire career. He's been freelancing with his self-purchased α9 since a little over a year ago.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I was in a similar boat...especially for wildlife....if you think about how many pixels you put on a bird/animal vs the 7Dii. 28MP vs 20.2 is a nearly 40% advantage which eliminates a large portion of the 7Dii's advantage of having the crop factor.

Not really. The 20.2MP 7D Mark II has the same pixel size as the 50MP 5Ds/5Ds R. Keep in mind that a FF sensor is 1.6X longer and 1.6X taller, for a total area that is 2.56X Canon's APS-C crop sensors.

A FF 28MP sensor has the same pixel density as an 11MP (10.9375) APS-C sensor.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
What if Canon does something with the 1DX line that they did with the 5DS and 5DSr several years ago. Introduce 2 different DX III models, one with the old 20.2 (or refreshed 20.2) mp sensor to maintain file sizes for a certain pro-segment and a 24.2, or even 26mp, brand new sensor for all other pro (and other) segments?

Wouldn't that shock everyone?

1 DXs III or 1 DX IIIs?
1 DX III

The EOS 5Ds and 5Ds R both use the same identical sensor. The only difference is in the filter stack that sits on top of the sensor. One has a conventional low pass filter with the first and second plates oriented 90° to one another, the "R" has the first and second plates oriented 180° to each other which makes the second one cancel the effect of the first one.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
There aren't any 1Dx users who moved to Sony which are known to me so far.
I know of one high profile couple who shoot tennis and golf worldwide, they moved from 1DX MkII’s to A9’s (MkI) and couldn’t be happier. They have since sold every Canon item they owned including multiple 600EX-RT’s, a good number of L lenses including big tele’s etc etc.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
You have the 10 - 400 (16-640) range covered with a good camera and glass. You can't beat the 100-400 II on the long end unless you get into the big whites. I am fortunate that I had a career that has funded my travel and hobby. I spent a lot of years on airplanes and away from home, but it has allowed my wife and I to travel to some pretty cool locations before / after I retired in 2013. I wish I had retired earlier, but it was hard to walk away from a great job that I enjoyed - except for the work travel. I always owned the bodies I liked, but usually rented the longer lenses for special trips. I caught a deep discount on a 200-400 refurb on the Canon site and would be pretty close to breaking even if I sold at current values. The lens was perfect and I think their refurb gear may be as good or better than what you buy off the shelf because of testing.

Have fun shooting!
I do, and you too!

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
it is not just write speed, the entire pipe from capture to write has to accommodate enough bandwidth to support more MPs. In addition, it requires enough compute power to continue AF and other processing functions during write.

Surely with all the advances in computing power and other similar technology the last issue should be computing speed and throughput.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Surely with all the advances in computing power and other similar technology the last issue should be computing speed and throughput.

I am guessing these are dedicated, special purpose components and processors that would be a significant expense to design and develop. Add software on top of that and you have a very complex, resources intensive and expensive process. I think we are spoiled by what we see with ARM processors used by Apple and other cell phone vendors. If you have a chip that is used by millions, you can cost justify the development and manufacturing infrastructure effort. The economics of scale is one reason that Sony has an advantage in sensor technology. They leverage development dollars across multiple sensor platforms. I don't doubt that current technology could be designed and adapted to address the throughput issues, but you might not be able to afford the camera. Once you put all of that together, you may also run into heat issues with processors and other components. Whether cameras or data centers, processing capacity and storage are ALWAYS an ongoing issue.

Upvote 0