Rumoured Canon EOS Rs Specifications [CR1]

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
It really depends on what price range
And with small and medium RAW modes those with concern about file sizes can be happy.
My biggest concern is that I am not happy with the speed/refresh/panning/blackout performance of an EVF as of today.
I see the potential of EOS R/RF system but Canon has to tap the full potential yet.
Until then for my type of photography (kids/sports/wildlife) OVF outperforms the EVF by some margin.

About MP count:
And why downsample instead of having fewer but better native pixels? I prefer the latter. 30 MP is more than enough to me.
You also still lose time and calculation power while readout and downsampling the many 75 MP. Not needed here.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Meanwhile, I'll keep my main focus on glass. I don't think my PC can handle files that large efficiently. It would be awesome to own a camera like that, but I'm out until I can afford more computing power and storage. 30mph suits me fine for now. Glass, glass,glass. The R is already near perfect for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This is pretty much exactly what I want. Fingers crossed that the sensor can keep up with Sony's A7R IV. This is by far my biggest concern. I had that camera briefly before returning to the R, and although the image quality was incredible I really didn't care for the handling. The R ain't perfect, but feels so right to me... A joystick(?) replacing the Mfn bar is music to my ears.

I can live without IBIS, full frame 4K and all the other crap people complain about on the R.

Upvote 0
a tsunami alert for all of those who think that buying a high megapixel camera is so cool idea. I've been using 5dsr (50 megapixel) for the past three years and I need to warn you that there will be some consequences. A financial consequences I mean if you are serious about the quality. First you will replace half of your lenses as you will notice a lot of underperforming ones in terms of sharpness and chromatic aberration. Then you will buy the most expensive computers (imac and macbook pro if you are a mac lover) as your old ones will be too slow, wasting in average two hours of your time per day if you shooting raw. And for those of you who think shooting medium raw is such an excellent idea I would like to say that I tough that too until I saw a very annoying color difference in blacks (greenish blacks) that appear only in smaller than full size raws. Here you go. Not to mention the storage. Prepare some more cash and you are good to go. The good side is the quality. Once you can afford all those you will never go back. w

But... if you shoot with 75mpx and after export all photos with lightroom (or other), with 20-30mpx in DNG.. ?? you can edit this archives easily

Upvote 0
As you say they don't work so well with L brackets, which I use (so I don't care about IBIS in this camera) and I don't like the orientation of the screen when it is off the side of the camera, to me it sticks out perilously meaning my sight line is messed up and it doesn't naturally blend flat if you knock it/it gets pushed or hit.

I like the Fujifilm GFX100 style where it comes out at the top, or the bottom, or a side to get a low angle and portrait orientation, after that I like the M5 version that comes out at the top or bottom, I really dislike the 80D/M50 style of swing out to the side to tilt.

I’ve grown to like the Canon flip out screen. Would rather have that then a screen just tilts but didn’t allow for odd-angle portrait shooting. Though I’m sure I could live with the Fuji style screens.

Upvote 0
Not so fast ;-)

- I use a 5Ds for architectural work (and industrial/commercial)
Even old lenses look better with more MP - I use several adapted lenses from the 70's/80's and this is even easier with mirrorless. A rising tide does float all boats
My computer is a souped up 2010 Mac Pro (OK, with 2x 4k monitors)
Disks are cheap - as is extra RAM
My most commonly used lenses for architecture (the TS-E17,24ii) date from 2009
I recently shot several thousand detailed product shots (surgical instruments) using a 24-70 2.8L that I bought in 2003
My TS-E90 I also used for that product work dates from 1998

Tsunami? Nope barely a ripple on a breezy day ;-)
If you've been careful building up kit over the years then it needn't be too bad.

However, if you're currently using a 500D with one of the older 18-55 variants then yes it's a change

well, I photograph architecture as a full time job and sometimes do products as well. there is a big difference in sharpness between 5Ds and 5Dsr and basically everything else is a consequence of this choice. for example you think that 24-70 2.8L is a sharp lens and I got rid of it when I had my 1Ds MkII for the quality reasons. I just don't think you should be using such good for portraits lens for product shots but happy days if you have the client who pays for the job... I use tilt and shift lenses, the same ones you mentioned, and to be honest it doesn't matter what year the lens was built as for example 90mm ts is one of the sharpest lenses canon made and on the other side of the scale is 45mm ts (mark one) which was a disaster, the worst chromatic aberration canon pro lens ever. talking about computers, well, once you get real busy with the postproduction you will start thinking about it, not to mention the beautiful 27 inch retina displays that are one of the tools to show you what your files are really look like. if you don't have such display, no wonder you don't see the problem. all the best!
w

Upvote 0
Two comments;
1) Hope they throw the option of 16 bit along with 14 bit
2) don’t know the image circle of RF lenses, mount is bigger so image circle may be little bigger, having said that canon may come up with larger than 35mm sensor.

Any thoughts or comment?

the bigger the better! I have some tilt shifts that would be fine with a slightly larger sensor! And 16 bit? Sign me up! I would probably take better color over a slightly larger sensor though.

Upvote 0
But... if you shoot with 75mpx and after export all photos with lightroom (or other), with 20-30mpx in DNG.. ?? you can edit this archives easily
well... I spent 4 grand on imac and same on laptop and I wish they were quicker... once you have such big files opened, not only ram plays part but the graphic card. switching between couple of pictures is a lot of juggling in terms of computer memory, it slows everything down. if you buy a new mac, do not save on the graphic card, go for the quickest that's available. those are the real problems if you want to have some life after a busy work

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I would also prefer a tilt. The reason is I only need it if the camera is low to the ground or high on a tripod and I want the screen in line with the back of the camera not off to the left side. An articulating screen is more suited for video and this is not a camera I would choose for video. I consider this a great studio camera.
+1 for this - much prefer a tilty screen than the articulating screen so it's in line with the lens/sensor. Love the one on the little M5.

Upvote 0
well... I spent 4 grand on imac and same on laptop and I wish they were quicker... once you have such big files opened, not only ram plays part but the graphic card. switching between couple of pictures is a lot of juggling in terms of computer memory, it slows everything down. if you buy a new mac, do not save on the graphic card, go for the quickest that's available. those are the real problems if you want to have some life after a busy work

Yes, i know. But i mean, if you change this 75mpx to 20mpx, all images exported to dng and 20mpx, you can edit easily, you dont need the best computer to move 75mpx pics, you can edit with other resolution and save Metadata (XMP) for example in lightroom, with this, you can use after this metadata to export 75mpx if you want.

I think the resolution of 75mpx is not a problem, for me 30 is enought, i no need more and i dont want more, for me, the only important is the dual slot for my wedding photography

Upvote 0
I hope they let down the resolution. 75mpx raws will be heavy as hell and, as a wedding photographer, Im more than happy with the 30 mpx that gives the eos R actually

This does not sound like a camera you need... But seriously, I do hope they have some internal scaling modes (for raw files of course) for occasions where the extra resolution hurts more than helps.

Upvote 0

mk0x55

[5DsR]
Nov 16, 2018
The rumor sounds like good music to my ears. I hope Canon solved their ever-present read noise problem that occurs in the analog signal transmission to their off-chip-ADC. That would be really big to me. 16-bit readout would be awesome to allow for natively capturing more DR, but I understand that read noise so aparent in shadows might render 16-bit readout unnecessary. I hope it is no longer the case here.
PixelShift would be a nice addition.
Lastly, they might also eliminate the issues of highlight clipping as well as low SNR in shadows provided long enough exposure times (in landscape & architecture photogrsphy etc.) using a few hardware and bit manipulation tricks... that would be a nice gamechanger (wishful thinking perhaps).
A lot to look forward to; I can highly imagine ordering the "Rs".
(Though if they also released it as a DSLR, I might go for that instead... IBIS or not.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I would also prefer a tilt. The reason is I only need it if the camera is low to the ground or high on a tripod and I want the screen in line with the back of the camera not off to the left side. An articulating screen is more suited for video and this is not a camera I would choose for video. I consider this a great studio camera.
I see what you’re saying but with my 80D the flippy screen has been a blessing many times and I shoot 100% stills. Depends what your subject is though I suppose!

Upvote 0
Yes, i know. But i mean, if you change this 75mpx to 20mpx, all images exported to dng and 20mpx, you can edit easily, you dont need the best computer to move 75mpx pics, you can edit with other resolution and save Metadata (XMP) for example in lightroom, with this, you can use after this metadata to export 75mpx if you want.

I think the resolution of 75mpx is not a problem, for me 30 is enought, i no need more and i dont want more, for me, the only important is the dual slot for my wedding photography
I need to check this way you are suggesting via dng. I know that the camera itself sucks at scaling down raws on the go, the greenish blacks are giving a lot of problems if you are bound with very high color reproduction demands so if this scaled down dngs are ok then you may deserve a medal :)

Upvote 0
Sounds interesting, but I'm a bit skeptical or at least surprised.

I wonder how someone who shot with a test camera would know what generation the processor inside was.

I wonder why you would have a joystick on an "R" since the touchscreen does the same thing. If it is similar in size and ergonomics to the current R, it seems like that would be just one more control crammed onto an already crowded backside. On the other hand, for those working with gloves on, maybe having a joystick as an alternative would be a good idea.

If true, it sounds as though Canon is continuing to refine the ergonomics and features of the R, so that by the time the "Rx" comes out it will have the kinks worked out.

Yes, gloves, but the biggest issue for me is nose input. A joystick (or trackpad off to the side) would allow me to have the camera disable the touch screen when my eye is up to the EVF and avoid the accidental AF point movement from my nose. Also, every now and then I would like to have the screen facing inward and be able to shoot using the EVF only. Right now this is pretty much impossible unless you're using focus & recompose.

Upvote 0
Mount an L bracket the other way? I use an L bracket to get my 80D ground level on a tripod and it’s fine.

It depends on the camera, but I don't want to remove the L bracket each time I replace the batteries or remove the memory cards. I haven't removed the L bracket from my 5d4 in months

Upvote 0