Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

bitcars

5D mark II
Apr 24, 2019
This is exciting! Hopefully Canon will nail the ergonomics of R with a "mark II".

Mark I R's ergonomics was the main reason I didn't upgrade. Coming from 5D series I can pick up just about any DSLR's Canon make (1D, 6D, X0D, even rebel) and the controls feel spontaneous when shooting. For the R, I had to "think" about it. It's true that more practice makes it better, but I know my endorphin level peaks higher with a 5D, 6D series camera, and sometimes even the RP feels better.

Upvote 0
I've been saying for a year that the 5dIV replacement would come this year, and a new R mII with it. They and the retailers that sell Canon have very few 'normal release' schedules, but the 5d series is definitely one of them. It'll be interesting to see if there will actually be a EF version of it.

I'm hoping that the firmware isn't any different from the current R, other than certain new features running slower/less fps. That would mean Canon is really in on the new software is just as important as hardware mindset.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It makes sense to push out quicker revisions on a young category where there are a lot of new features possible with every passing month. As the product matures I would expect things to settle down into slower release cycles. Heres hoping the Mk2 is a bit bigger and drops SD for CFExpress.

Out of interest (it’s not my area of expertise), what’s the advantage of CFExpress over modern high speed, high capacity SD cards?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Out of interest (it’s not my area of expertise), what’s the advantage of CFExpress over modern high speed, high capacity SD cards?
For me, just the physicality of the CF cards over the SD shell is important. Speeds may or may not be a factor, it's determined mostly by the personal need for buffering. SD cards are more fragile, that said, in the right hands they can be without issue, YMMV.

Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
Yesterday, I ve spoke with some photographer, who is also working in Canon as sales representative and he accidentelly told me, that there will be two new bodies early in 2020 - Rs (high mpx) and some low light beast. But who knows. I m really into it. This would be perfect bopdy for me, as I hate flash photography.
Why do you hate flash photography? Maybe because you haven't given enough time to master it? I mean, it really depends on your needs and the kind of photos you do, but flash photography, when mastered, will give you amazing results. That being said, there are occasions when good performance in low light is crucial and I would love it if Canon released a mirrorless model that can excel in those conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I would not be surprised to see Canon keep the R Classic in the lineup and drop the price of both the R and the RP. They need to keep production going on the R body anyway, since they just introduced the Ra.

As an actual R user, the main improvements I would like to see involve autofocus and ergonomics. Specifically, improving the placement and size of the button on the back. The back-button autofocus button is too small and hard to find and it's too easy to accidentally change the focus point selection while shooting. Autofocus often fails to acquire initial focus, wasting time and shots.

I'd be fine with the current sensor, but don't see that as likely to occur. Instead, I expect Canon to introduce a new full frame sensor that will eventually find its way into the 5D V. It won't be the same sensor as the 1Dx III.

I don't care about dual card slots, but expect they will include them as so many people have whined about it.

Joysticks are pretty much redundant on mirrorless and the last think the R body needs is another control taking up real estate on the back.

If they can fix the autofocus issues, I'll sell my 5DIV and go to two R bodies for non-sports shooting.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It might work better (or might be quicker), but in winter time with gloves on, a joystick is needed!
Yes, that is a valid point. On the other hand, most gloves are now made to allow for phone swipes.

Upvote 0
Why do you hate flash photography? Maybe because you haven't given enough time to master it? I mean, it really depends on your needs and the kind of photos you do, but flash photography, when mastered, will give you amazing results. That being said, there are occasions when good performance in low light is crucial and I would love it if Canon released a mirrorless model that can excel in those conditions.
Because I m shooting mostly wedding. Flash photography is nice, but in most of my weddings it would ruin the atmosphere. I can shoot with flash, but I don t like it. It adds to photos something, what wasn t there in real life. But it is just my oppinion - I m not saying, that flash photography isn t ok. I just prefer natural light and real atmosphere. That s it :)

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

This works for me.
Think EOS 650 and 620 were a first effort at EF and were soon upgraded with more capable models. Canon did need to show they could make a mirrorless and do it well and the R said this in spades. And to also have a platform for all the incredible lenses being introduced. Now we will see cameras matching the new optics and it will be quite a ride beyond what people are thinking. Remember all the Canon patents they have. No they will not all materialize in a recognizable form but they are showing what Canon is exploring and doing.

Upvote 0