Announcement details on the 1DX Mark III

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I had several film cameras that had the same colour scheme....
If you check her Instagram, it's pretty clear this and the 5DIV are cameras they had someone customize for themselves. Not Canon jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If that was mentioned before ... just skip to next post

On Canons german web site (https://www.canon.de/cameras/eos-1d-x-mark-iii/)
are some details about the upcoming 1Dx m iii (it is looks more Darth Vader than storm trooper):

AF
- 28-times resolution (maybe some DPAFish new sensor fed by partially transflective mirror with own DIGIC 8 processor, why not take some Super 35 lower res sensor doing the AF?)
- Live view: 90% horiz, 100% vertical

Sensor
- new CMOS sensor (no info about res)
- new DIGIC
- 4k up to 60 fps as raw or 10bit video (internally recorded on CFexpress cards (plural!)) no mention of cropped or non-cropped video

Speed etc
- 16 fps view OVF
- up to 20 fps with mechanical and electronic shutter with AE / AF without compromise (whatever that means)
- battery LP-E19
- backlit buttons

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If that was mentioned before ... just skip to next post

On Canons german web site (https://www.canon.de/cameras/eos-1d-x-mark-iii/)
are some details about the upcoming 1Dx m iii (it is looks more Darth Vader than storm trooper):

AF
- 28-times resolution (maybe some DPAFish new sensor fed by partially transflective mirror with own DIGIC 8 processor, why not take some Super 35 lower res sensor doing the AF?)
[..]

The iTR in the 1dx was already an image sensor, they just expanded it to 10MP. So no transflective mirror needed, only a real mirror :)

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Here's the real deal...

I first thought that would be BS since the prototype wouldn't have label "Mark III" to help keep it secret.

But there's strange notch next to the drive-af button on top, and if you look the Canon website picture in: https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-1d-x-mark-iii/

They have the same notch. So I guess that F1 dude actually has real one, albeit it might be one of the versions they are testing.

Regardless, almost certain I'll be ordering one around May-June. There's big sports event in Detroit in July, need one before that.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It will be nice to see how well the illuminated buttons are accepted or not. There were a lot of people on this forum against such an idea on any camera not long ago saying a real pro would have no need because it is all memorized. Of course, that neglects the fact that more than just professionals buy these beasts. Personally, I'd like it if a future R had illuminated buttons.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
It will be nice to see how well the illuminated buttons are accepted or not. There were a lot of people on this forum against such an idea on any camera not long ago saying a real pro would have no need because it is all memorized. Of course, that neglects the fact that more than just professionals buy these beasts. Personally, I'd like it if a future R had illuminated buttons.

Agreed. I don't like the illuminated buttons, and hopefully I can turn them off. I understand some like them.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
No one should be complaining since you will be able to turn it off and on, possibly even with a dimmer control. THis is hardly an issue.

Upvote 0
Nice shot! Abu Dhabi F1?
Yes....abu dhabi f1 race.
I saw Frits in every f1 race or f1 test where i was in the last years....but i don't know him personally. I usually look at his camera body or lens...because they could be something new as it was for the 1dx mk2 in 2016.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The iTR in the 1dx was already an image sensor, they just expanded it to 10MP. So no transflective mirror needed, only a real mirror :)

iTR uses information from both the dedicated PDAF sensor and the RGB+IR light meter that is effectively a small imaging sensor. The color imaging sensor provides color information used to help determine which AF point(s) are active on the PDAF sensor, which is still what provides distance information.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
  • Sad
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Considering Canon has already released an "in development" announcement that reveals far more, how would this be a violation of any NDA agreement?

idk that's why I included a question mark due to my inexperience with the documents.I'm always open to being informed by others in the know, seems like you are 'in the know'.

Upvote 0