Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

Dec 25, 2017
So most of you on here are complaining about a camera that next to none of you will own. And most of you have never worked with a raw workflow for video let alone in such a small form factor hell none of us really have. Whether this camera write 4K raw internally or 6K to mitigate all that heat that will be generated and have to do the auto focus is a feat I can’t comprehend and none of you probably can. This is a rumor site and we all have to wait. If this is the final spec list. A 1dxmkii is still a great camera
I realy cant get over the fact they ditched DPAF.
There HAS to be a 4k mode with DPAF or I will not get this camera. I was 99% sure I would upgrade from my 1DX II and sell the Lumix S1H... I was hoping we would maybe get IBIS... but thats okay if its missing. But removing DPAF is absolutely NOT okay. Thats the biggest advantage the 1DX II got over all other cameras (that, and the nice colors out of the box).
The RAW Video is certainly beautiful on the 1DXIII, but the workflow is certainly quite demanding on the editing hardware. Which would have been okay. But no DPAF is incredible. If this is true. I am pretty sure I will go with Panasonic, which build a realy great camera with the S1H.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
So most of you on here are complaining about a camera that next to none of you will own...

I don't think that's true at all. Looking at who is posting in this thread, there are a lot of people who use the 1D line, myself included. As I said in an earlier post, I think that's the difference with this thread. And, I get the feeling that many of those posting aren't ruling out the 1DxIII, they are simply feeling that what was once an easy decision, is now a bit more difficult to justify. We will all have to wait and see how the actual camera performs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
The feedback for the current specs is pretty bad, not just here but also on the site starting with fred, ending in miranda. Just look at the forum and you'll see people are equally pissed off there as well. In a good way though; not just bitching and asking for unrealistic things, but expressing disappointment towards the resolution and the lack of 4k 60p AF, mainly.
Again, this is all based on the current "leaked" specs, which unfortunately might be the final ones though.
Canon, in the press release: "Power to dominate"...I don't think so! Dominate what, exactly?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Personally I'd still be surprised if Canon don't increase the MP's on the camera. While many of the professional users don't particularly want the extra MP it's a key selling point and a key distinguishing point between a 1DX II and 1DX III. You can reduce file size by changing your settings but you can't add MP's.
I think Canon need to be careful between what some of their key users want and what would make them upgrade.

"The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III will be blisteringly fast – offering exceptional precision, reliability, high-performance autofocus, and subject tracking – providing photographers with a tool that will help to capture the shot they are chasing. The camera’s new autofocus algorithm will improve stability and tracking when using both the Optical Viewfinder and in Live View shooting mode, using Deep Learning Technology and adapting to help facilitate accurate focus tracking for every shot. When using the optical viewfinder the camera will use a new autofocus sensor, with approximately 28 times the resolution in the center of the EOS-1D X Mark II. Offering the ability to autofocus in even brighter and darker situations than before and with greater precision, the camera will have a range of autofocus capabilities, which will enable the photographer to get their shot. "

This seems to be the only reason for a photographer to upgrade but would need to seen in tests to completely outperform the 1DX II on focusing.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
A quick hack job, but this is what 191 af points could look like...

View attachment 188010

I would be very surprised if still photography was able to AF at the extremes like that - my guess is that they will be more like Nikon in that they will have many more AF points more densely packed within pretty much the same area as currently configured, with the AF point density improving focus tracking as the subject moves within the frame.

Upvote 0
So the romored KILLER FEATURE canon had wasn't to wow 1DxIII buyers, the 1DxIII 'killer feature' was to keep C500II owners feeling elite.

After seeing the 90D's killer feature (PDAF disabled for all 4k) I should have known.

1) As for all you guys saying 'who else offers FF 4k 60p with really great AF?' just watch this space. Only the Sony FX9 today, but 1/3 of the way though the 1DXIII's product life there will be several other options that will probably also offer IBIS to boot. This is a camera for yesterday, not a camera for tomorrow.

2) 'Why all the crazy sad faces, why can't we all just sing happy Canon camp fire songs?" The people asking this don't appear to be the people who make their living with a camera in their hand, and who have large $$ of canon glass they dread selling. We would rather stay with Canon, we like Canon. but there is only so much under-specing and performance crippling we can handle when our career is at stake. New photographers are almost universally buying Sony, it's us older loyal guys who were hoping for a flagship camera that would still be relevant 3-4 years from now.

• Wow
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
dear lord. What is it about wannabe video shooters whinging that the rumoured specs do not include a feature that NO THER CAMERA HAS. There are obviously technical limitations and if you are ignorant of the facts you should probably stick to the default position of keeping your mouth shut and not making yourself look stooped. As for it being 20mp. If that is the case it was obviously an intentional decision to give the majority of the real customers what they want.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I use three 1dxII for filming weddings. Autofocus in all recording modes is great, and I can't imagine losing it at 4k 60. Thats when you're shooting faster moving subjects with the intent to slow down and AF is even more usefull.

If these specs are correct you trade DPAF 4k 60 for Canon Log, and a more efficient codec. Thats about it. I can transcode 1dxII MJPEG just fine on my own and expose for the highlights when needed.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
2) 'Why all the crazy sad faces, why can't we all just sing happy Canon camp fire songs?" The people asking this don't appear to be the people who make their living with a camera in their hand, and who have large $$ of canon glass they dread selling. We would rather stay with Canon, we like Canon. but there is only so much under-specing and performance crippling we can handle when our career is at stake. New photographers are almost universally buying Sony, it's us older loyal guys who were hoping for a flagship camera that would still be relevant 3-4 years from now.
[/QUOTE]
Assuming you've had a career with a camera, why is it suddenly 'at stake now'?

Upvote 0
Now I’m wondering if this is like the EF 70-200 III. It was a very basic incremental update over its predecessor and turns out the RF version was the major upgrade.

Maybe not long after the 1DXII announcement, we get the RF version which will blow us away.

Is CES before the Olympics?
CES is going on right now. The next show that matters is CPP at the end of Feb. That's when the R High Rez was speculated as being unveiled (that rumor and timeframe has been around forever) and more recently rumors of another camera or two to be unveiled there too.The speculation on the 2nd two is the R II and 5DV. Which in hindsight makes more sense - 1dxiii not being the star of the show, so it has a quiet release. new R cmeras, big splashy ones along with lots of new lenses.

Upvote 0
dear lord. What is it about wannabe video shooters whinging that the rumoured specs do not include a feature that NO THER CAMERA HAS. There are obviously technical limitations and if you are ignorant of the facts you should probably stick to the default position of keeping your mouth shut and not making yourself look stooped. As for it being 20mp. If that is the case it was obviously an intentional decision to give the majority of the real customers what they want.

REALLY!!!?

* So why doesn't the old 1DxII with it's slower CPUs have any trouble running DPAF @ 4k 60p? It only has a modest 1.3 crop while doing it.
* You maybe ignorant of this, but the world is changing and hybrid shooting is the future. It was 9-10 years ago that the press industry started asking their stills shooters to also capture video. Vincent Laforet was one of your 'wannabe video shooters' back then, look where he is now. Many of us have and are transitioning to tomorrow's growing hybrid world.

Upvote 0