Patent: IBIS appears in EOS M and PowerShot cameras

I'm actually wondering if by fall we won't see an RP II as well. Keep the same roughly 1/3 less pixels than whatever the R II has, but improve the FPS to something in the 7-10 fps with full tracking, and maybe a burst mode like the M6II at a slightly smaller crop.

That would sell quite a bit to the price conscious enthusiast, and maybe a few bodies as backups to pros as well. That would get the train rolling on the RF mount to start selling all the non-L lenses coming this year. This body would pair well with the rumored 18-something + something-300 lens consumer lens kit. The kit could be priced msrp about 1700 total and would more than likely have some sort of 'sale' before xmas in all the big box stores to get it at 1499 or so for the kit.

That same sensor could then be used in an even cheaper/smaller z50 type camera if they want, without a viewfinder, with the option to add the viewfinder from the M6II to it. I don't think there's an option to make the M lenses work on RF without some expensive funky mechanics which would make the price too much.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I noted body and lenses combined.
Put a 50mm f1.4 on the RP.
I would like to see a reduction in lens size to correspond to the body as Olympus did.
In fairness, the Olympus is M4/3: with a very small image circle and much smaller flange. Fast FF lenses are naturally going to be larger.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
In fairness, the Olympus is M4/3: with a very small image circle and much smaller flange. Fast FF lenses are naturally going to be larger.

Yes, but I am speaking a FF OM-1 being small, small lenses and use the RF mount on a new camera.
It just seems there is a contest to make huge lenses now? That small FF OM 50mm f1.4 was very sharp. Does AF need to add such huge bulk? I do see IS needing bulk. But AF should technically be able to be added with minimal extra bulk. Think 40mm STM looks pretty small yes f2.8 but surely there is a way to shrink a 50mm f1.4 to be far less than the current monsters.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yes, but I am speaking a FF OM-1 being small, small lenses and use the RF mount on a new camera.
It just seems there is a contest to make huge lenses now? That small FF OM 50mm f1.4 was very sharp. Does AF need to add such huge bulk? I do see IS needing bulk. But AF should technically be able to be added with minimal extra bulk. Think 40mm STM looks pretty small yes f2.8 but surely there is a way to shrink a 50mm f1.4 to be far less than the current monsters.
OM-1 as in classic film Camera? I have several 50mm film era lenses that are f/1.4 and the lenses from the film era are much smaller. They also did not have AF (until Canon's EF mount) and they are not too great for resolution on a 30mp camera. Distortion and CA also sucks. The whole design must be different as far as what is required to build them, I think. Of course, you could always adapt those old lenses to your DSLR or mirrorless camera. That's what I do.

Upvote 0
Yes, but there is absolutely no reason that the would not be working on a new member of the M family that would put the M6II to shame...., just not called an M5.

look at the top end Oly and Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras. Surely Canon is going to compete?

I think you're right Don. And if we follow the logic I think the next flagship will be called M7.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
How about we forget about M5 mark II and just call the new flagship Canon EOS M7. It follows the logic and makes total sense to me ;)
It would be a wonderful thing to see! I would hope that it would have the capabilities of the top level Oly or Panasonic crop cameras. Perhaps it could be the 7D2 replacement!

Upvote 0
Bingo.

When Canon:

1: Could easily technically release the M5Markii.

2: Knows that people would want to buy it.

3: Still chooses not to release it.

we don't know 1 or 2 and thus don't know 3.

it entirely depends if they decided to make the gap between the M6 and M5 more than just the viewfinder and a few features like they did the original cameras. Elements such as IBIS would invalidate 1 and 2 quickly since Canon hasn't realized IBIS in any form.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
OM-1 as in classic film Camera? I have several 50mm film era lenses that are f/1.4 and the lenses from the film era are much smaller. They also did not have AF (until Canon's EF mount) and they are not too great for resolution on a 30mp camera. Distortion and CA also sucks. The whole design must be different as far as what is required to build them, I think. Of course, you could always adapt those old lenses to your DSLR or mirrorless camera. That's what I do.

Once Canon gets IBIS on the RF system I will get it and use all my old R, FL, FD and Nikkor F lenses on it. That is what I am waiting for. I am spoiled by it.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Once Canon gets IBIS on the RF system I will get it and use all my old R, FL, FD and Nikkor F lenses on it. That is what I am waiting for. I am spoiled by it.
My problem is being quick enough to manual focus a moving target. That is a real skill. Of course, a toddler is probably tougher than birds. I have a 400mm Mamiya/Sekor: I have not had time to use it much on wildlife. Sounds like you have a lot of old lenses.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
My problem is being quick enough to manual focus a moving target. That is a real skill. Of course, a toddler is probably tougher than birds. I have a 400mm Mamiya/Sekor: I have not had time to use it much on wildlife. Sounds like you have a lot of old lenses.

I do not do a lot of action shots and when I do that is what the incredible Canon, second to none, AF lenses are for. The old lenses are for landscapes, buildings, and other less active shots like at an airshow the static displays or a car show etc. I do have a lot of old Canon lenses and the RF mount is a God send to reactivating them.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I was somewhat hoping for an M5 MII. Just for a nice sized camera to carry. Now I have decided that it would be nice to see a very small RF mount APSC or FF (Think OM-1 was full frame and incredibly small and light.) with non-L, but great optically, small lenses with no IS but all in the body for size/price/complexity reduction. In other words an RF mount FF "Olympus OM-1 size" camera/lenses would be really incredible and would be a good seller I believe.
While RF glass is fantastic it has all been pretty much professional glass. I have one lens I paid 2200.00 for and it's great. That being said, I have mostly Tamron SP G2 lenses which I use on both my 5ds and eos R with the adapter. If you read the reviews, they are fantastic lenses. I am waiting for the new EOS R and will probably use EF lenses until Tamron starts their RF lenses. I don't see Canons consumer RF lenses being any better than their consumer grade EF lenses but at a few hundred dollars more

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
While RF glass is fantastic it has all been pretty much professional glass. I have one lens I paid 2200.00 for and it's great. That being said, I have mostly Tamron SP G2 lenses which I use on both my 5ds and eos R with the adapter. If you read the reviews, they are fantastic lenses. I am waiting for the new EOS R and will probably use EF lenses until Tamron starts their RF lenses. I don't see Canons consumer RF lenses being any better than their consumer grade EF lenses but at a few hundred dollars more
Has Canon released a new RF lens?. The only comparable RF/EF "consumer" lenses I know of would be the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS and the EF 35mm f/2 IS. Please tell us where you bought your RF 35 so that we will know not to shop there...

Upvote 0
I do not do a lot of action shots and when I do that is what the incredible Canon, second to none, AF lenses are for. The old lenses are for landscapes, buildings, and other less active shots like at an airshow the static displays or a car show etc. I do have a lot of old Canon lenses and the RF mount is a God send to reactivating them.

Same here - bought the RP + adapter + RF 35 as an incredibly good offer and ... included a (Novoflex, I wanted to help the seller to earn at least some money :) FD2RF adapter. One big reason to buy into the R System was to check out how the FD lenses work with a FF sensor.
17 4.0 moderate technical IQ but great colors, nice flares, very low distortion
50 1.4 S.S.C. very good technical IQ (contrast on lower side) IQ wide open, excellent from f/2.8, great colors
135 2.5 S.C. good technical IQ
I own these lenses for 30 years and I will keep them, just as a memory of my first photographic experiences

While the new lenses are shurely better for stills in technical IQ I will keep these lenses for video and for 2k / 1080p they are more than good enough.
After reading that Sigma has introduced a cinema lens line with increased flares I thought that theses FD lenses might have similiar characteristics and I was not disappointed - maybe my FD lenses have still a lot more flares and they are really nice.

So yes:EOS R/RP are a God send. And the incredibly 1:2 macro 300 grams image stabilized compact high aperture unconspicuous looking RF 35 too!

The RP is - to me - the M50 on steroids

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

Only time will tell.
I seem to fail at predictions.

Upvote 0
RF 24-240: The only similar lens is the 28-300 mm which is three times the price and an L lens
RF 35 1.8 Macro: roughly the same price like the EF 35 2.0 but with MACRO and is (factoring in the adapter) substantially larger, Tamrons 1.8 35 is 100 EUR more expensive + has NO IS + is substantially larger and heavier.

So they have better lenses in the consumer range than others and EF series. The RF35 is unique if it comes to the COMBINATION of FEATURES:

Upvote 0
The next generation M50 (M60?) will be the camera the M5 fans are going to want. Will (hopefully) keep the built in EVF, keep the tilty-flippy screen, will have the new sensor, latest Digic chip, and maybe even the IBIS in this patent, but might not have all dials your old M5 did, and you won't be able to say you own the flagship M camera. I know that may initially be too much for some to compromise but I bet a after a few months and all the rave reviews the M5 loyalists will come around.
I highly doubt an M50 segment camera would get IBIS.

Upvote 0