Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

I don't get the hate this camera is getting all over the internet. People calling this camera crippled for the lack of DPAF in 4k60fps: what other camera can do full frame 4k60 10bit log with DPAF internally without exhaust vents and full weather sealing? No one has seen the autofocus at work and people are already saying that the a9ii has a better autofocus. And the difference between 20 and 24 is like 10% resolution, the nikon d6 is rumored to have a 20mpx sensor too. Just get an a9ii if you think 4 more megapixel will help in bird photography but please stop bashing whatever Canon does just because it's a trend now. Canon sometimes really cripples the products (no 24fps, removal of center hot shoe pin, no log in lower tier cameras, strange codecs) but this time the sensor would literally melt with a 4k readout at 60 frame plus autofocus.
And if you think dsrl are dinosaurs you are right, i think this too, but this camera was needed and is perfect for the target audience.

Edit: We still don't know if the camera offers autofocus in the cropped 4k60 mode like the 1dx mark ii so just wait the camera launch before sentencing

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I don't get the hate this camera is getting all over the internet. People calling this camera crippled for the lack of DPAF in 4k60fps: what other camera can do full frame 4k60 10bit log with DPAF internally without exhaust vents and full weather sealing? No one has seen the autofocus at work and people are already saying that the a9ii has a better autofocus. And the difference between 20 and 24 is like 10% resolution, the nikon d6 is rumored to have a 20mpx sensor too. Just get an a9ii if you think 4 more megapixel will help in bird photography but please stop bashing whatever Canon does just because it's a trend now. Canon sometimes really cripples the products (no 24fps, removal of center hot shoe pin, no log in lower tier cameras, strange codecs) but this time the sensor would literally melt with a 4k readout at 60 frame plus autofocus.
And if you think dsrl are dinosaurs you are right, i think this too, but this camera was needed and is perfect for the target audience.

Edit: We still don't know if the camera offers autofocus in the cropped 4k60 mode like the 1dx mark ii so just wait the camera launch before sentencing

I haven't seen any posts here proclaiming the auto focus is better in the a9. I have no idea. With the attention they have given the auto focus on this I am sure it will be adequate. I am not saying Canon is doomed and I have no intentions on buying a Sony. I just expected a bit more from this release, and now I am second guessing whether I will buy one. As primarily a stills shooter I am not getting a ton of incentive to upgrade over a 1dx2. Thats okay. Canon is not doomed, and my bank account may come out the better. This is a discussion forum after all.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I haven't seen any posts here proclaiming the auto focus is better in the a9. I have no idea. With the attention they have given the auto focus on this I am sure it will be adequate. I am not saying Canon is doomed and I have no intentions on buying a Sony. I just expected a bit more from this release, and now I am second guessing whether I will buy one. As primarily a stills shooter I am not getting a ton of incentive to upgrade over a 1dx2. Thats okay. Canon is not doomed, and my bank account may come out the better. This is a discussion forum after all.

Yes here the discussion is not that bad buy if you read some other forum it's like they out a 1dx badge on a Rebel, people just love complaining i guess

Upvote 0
I do understand the frustration with Canon, but, I think we should give them the benefit of a doubt. I always buy 1D when they release it and use the old 1D as back up and as the second angle when filming. I haven't been disappointed yet. The leap from 1DX to 1DX mk ii was huge. The leap from 1 dx mk ii to 1 dx mk iii seems to be even bigger. If it's true with 5.4 k raw 12 bit, it is almost double the resolution with about 4000 times more possible colors than the 1 dx mk ii. And this is only one of the upgrades. So, hey, I will surely keep the amazing mk ii, but I really long for the mk iii.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...I am not chasing spec sheet stats or whatever that means. I am surprised they remained at 20mp. I had all plans to buy the 1dx3, and I still may. I am just not as excited about the release as I was a week ago. Some doubt has crept in, such as should I just buy a gently used 1dx2 instead as they are going for $3500 or so. Is the auto focus improvement worth 3k. It probably is, but if this was a 30mp release I would be hitting f5 looking to preorder. Now I may still get one, but there is no rush.

I am coming from the point of view of a stills camera owner. I am starting to do more video, and the specs looks great for that...

Agreed.

I was looking for two things in the 1DxIII: improved autofocus and higher resolution. One of those things is now off the table, so I have one less reason to upgrade. That puts much more pressure on the promised autofocus improvements to deliver.

If the 1DxIII greatly improves high ISO performance, then it will be worth the lower resolution. But I have significant doubts that will be possible. I say that because I shoot the 1DxII side by side with the 30mp sensors in the 5DIV and R. There simply is not that much difference in low light performance. At least not in what I can see when processing raw files from both sensors. I am skeptical that the newest 20mp sensor will produce more than a fraction of stop improvement in high ISO performance. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting it.

So, like Reef58 and others, it's not that I am rejecting the 1DxIII, it's just that Canon will now have a steeper hill to climb to get my money and I have to wonder if that was a good move on their part in a time of shrinking market demand.

The good news is my 1DxII will hold its value longer and I expect the $6,500 price for the 1DxIII will drop sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Agreed.

I was looking for two things in the 1DxIII: improved autofocus and higher resolution. One of those things is now off the table, so I have one less reason to upgrade. That puts much more pressure on the promised autofocus improvements to deliver.

If the 1DxIII greatly improves high ISO performance, then it will be worth the lower resolution. But I have significant doubts that will be possible. I say that because I shoot the 1DxII side by side with the 30mp sensors in the 5DIV and R. There simply is not that much difference in low light performance. At least not in what I can see when processing raw files from both sensors. I am skeptical that the newest 20mp sensor will produce more than a fraction of stop improvement in high ISO performance. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting it.

So, like Reef58 and others, it's not that I am rejecting the 1DxIII, it's just that Canon will now have a steeper hill to climb to get my money and I have to wonder if that was a good move on their part in a time of shrinking market demand.

The good news is my 1DxII will hold its value longer and I expect the $6,500 price for the 1DxIII will drop sooner rather than later.

professional sports and wildlife shooters do not want or need high resolution cameras. Do you people still not get that yet? You want to chase megapixels, there are plenty of other cameras uselessly dumping tons of megapixels on to small 35mm sensors and degrading image quality,

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Do you people still not get that yet? You want to chase megapixels, there are plenty of other cameras uselessly dumping tons of megapixels on to small 35mm sensors and degrading image quality,
Where the hell is the “Not like” button on the page when you need it?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Personally, having used 4K60 with DPAF I simply do not fancy losing it. No hate, I'll simply pass on the purchase given my type of shooting which involves wildlife with significant cropping.

Jack

Jack, I'm still not convinced we are losing that DPAF in 4k60 yet altogether. That would be unusual considering our 1DX2s can do it. I still think maybe something was lost in translation. No DPAF in RAW, ok fine. But none at all in 4k60?? sounds too Weird. And again, I think if it's missing, it's something Canon may react to as they did the "no 24p issue" and restore the feature.x. Gonna wait til Monday with the official release to see what's what in there

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
professional sports and wildlife shooters do not want or need high resolution cameras. Do you people still not get that yet? You want to chase megapixels, there are plenty of other cameras uselessly dumping tons of megapixels on to small 35mm sensors and degrading image quality,

I didn't know I didn't want more megapixels or need them. Thanks for reminding me. My wife keeps saying my memory is getting bad.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Agreed.

Amen to all that. I was hoping to see 22-24MP on this new one to make my upgrade decisions along with AF. Like you, the AF is going to have to show significant jumps for me. But the Full Frame 4K thing is a wonderful surprise for me and that throws another carrot at me. We will see soon enough!

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Dear experts. Does DPAF make a huge difference?

In video, absolutely. The DPAF tracking during shooting is very helpful. Even if you are filming an interview shot, it's nice when using really short DoF cuz it can keep tracking the face that might move back and forth naturally during a normal conversation, which shooting at f1.4 or f2 on a crop sensor yo can get out of that perfect focal plane real quick.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0